Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Equipment Reviews  (Read 54180 times)

Hitokiri

Fishing Equipment Reviews
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Since there are so many people on here that like to fish I think it would be a great idea to put up a thread talking about our experiences with fishing equipment be it tackle, string, reel, rods, boats, or even affects of live bait - etc. Maybe we can lay it like this..

Picture of product if you have any....

Product name:
What it is or whats it use is:
Price:
Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review:
Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best):

Cool?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:26:57 PM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

ricqik

Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews...Sticky?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »
shimano stradic(previous generation)
$139.99
awsome reel, had both the 2500's n the 4000's. used it from sunfish(2500) to musky(4000), works awsome. only down fall, the handle base broke on most of the ones i've had. otherwise it's a great reel.

shimano calais
$389.99
awsome reel, casts smooth n quiet n also retreives smooth n quite. very nice chrome body, too shiny to scratch up. 3yrs n still no sign of wear n tear. down side, shimano should've made the drag a little stronger like the a.g. revo.

pflueger supreme
$99.99
also a great spinning reel. have a 8030mg n a 8040mg, both reels been great. only thing i wish it had better was the drag system, it's not precise enough like the stradics. after 2yrs the bail on the 8030 is starting to fail, sometimes it doesn't click close all the way. the antireverse also doesn't stay lock when instant hookset is performed. but the 8040mg has been flawless.

pflueger president
$139.99
when new is was a smooth reel, i bought it for casting cranks n spinners. after about a yr, it has shown significant wear n tear. not smooth anymore, u can feel the slack in the components. a great beginner reel but for pronlong use, i don't recomend it. for the price there r better reels out there.

abu garcia revo sc
$139.99
awsome reel for the price, works great, strong drag, but is showing some wear n tear in less than 2yrs, so we'll see how it holds out later.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:39:50 PM by ricqik »

ricqik

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
i will probably replace my president n revo with 2 more calais's.

BANANAREPPIN

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:41:25 PM »
x

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:54:16 PM by BANANAREPPIN »

threedegree

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
A FEW OF MY REVIEWS-

Shimano Stradic 2500FI $159.99(newer generation)

5 out of 5 stars

Awesome reel/ very smooth/ beveled lip on spool allows for greater cast distance/ very light weight.
If it's anything like the older model of the stradic then it'll last you a long time (I've owned 5 of the older model and they've all performed great and still work even with a little wear and tear on them).

Cumara Spinning Rod 6'8" Medium $199-$219

4.5 out of 5 stars

Nice rod/ very sensitive/ exposed blank handle makes it extra sensitive/ great for jigging or cranking ligther cranks/ mainly used for walleyes/bass. Just a bit pricey- other then that it's a great rod

IM 10 blank.

Shimano Crucial Spinning Rod 6'6" Med Lt $159

5 out of 5 stars

Most sensitive rod I've ever fished. Very light. Used for panfish/and white bass/ walleyes. Mostly for live bait rigging and small jigs.

BOTH OF THESE RODS HAVE LIFETIME OVER THE COUNTER WARRANTIES @ MOST RETAILERS
IM 9 blank.

ricqik

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
three n banana, same person. lol posts the same thing, lol  :D

BANANAREPPIN

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
really?

Hitokiri

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »
Stink'n A I'm someone is rolling with some big fishing ballas...  ;D  JP..

Product name: Shakespeare Ugly Stick Medium Action Combo - 6'

What it is or whats it use is: Fishing pole

Price: $30-$40 depending if its on sale or not

Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review: I personally have been a HUGE Ugly Stick for many years and it was time for a new pole. The reliability and cost of the pole make it very friendly on the economical guy without looking like dork while fishing. From what I heard when I asked the Ugly Stick is a pretty respected low budget pole. The disadvantages is that there is little room for customization because it is a combo and many other anglers out there probably have the same pole because of the good value. Another disadvantage is that the pole and the reel only come in certain designs and height so again customizing is out of the question.

Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best): 4.5 outta 5. Why 4.5? Because the pole is pretty stiff before it's broken in and the feeling is somewhat numb when compared to other poles. The pole itself is pretty sturdy though and the reel combos with the Ugly Sticks are pretty good and smooth casting for its price tag. I would recommend it for anyone.

ricqik

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
berkley bionix
$49.99
three of them 6' mh , one 6' 6" mh, 2 spinning n 2 baitcasting rods. best rod for the price range, the feel n performance of highend rod without the penalty price.

berkley series
$79.99
6' mh, same as the bionix except it is a little stiffer

always buy noncoated rods, lighter n feels better

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:23:01 PM by ricqik »

Hitokiri

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
My bro decided to take a chance on a Bomber bait and so did I and here's my review.

Product name: Bomber Crank Bait "Square A" - 0-3' diver

What it is or whats it use is: Shallow runner crank bait

Price: About $3 on sale at Gander Mt.

Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review: I have to admit the reason why I bought this bait was not because it was made by Bomber but it was endorsed by Bill Dance. My brother used this very bait to nab what could of been a 30" pike. I say "could of been" because I saw the pike my bro nearly dragged it on land then he got off and swam back but it was BIG. My bro also caught a smaller pike and as for me I caught a good size smallie. This to me is evidence that this bait works but I've only tried it in deeper water. Though the bait itself performs well what its made out isn't that great. It got caught on a rock and bent a hook on the first time which to me shows the poor quality of the hooks - try bending a Rapala hook and get back to me on this. My bro also broke the tongue on this crank bait also on a rock - another show of poor quality - never happens to a Rapala. Going to replace the hooks with some old Eagle claws or some left over Rapala hooks.

Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best):3.0-3.5 outta 5. If this product were made with better quality parts I would give this a 4.5 outta 5 or maybe even a 5 outta 5. Quality parts is big to me because we're talking about a product I'm going to cast literally hundreds of times over hopefully many years. I checked out the Bomber line at Gander today and they seem to be a well represented item but I would expect more for them because of it. Yes it does catch fish and yes it was a bargain but bent hooks and broken tongues don't catch fish and can make the crank bait into trash bait.

Trojan

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
you can't knock on Shakespeare. They make some quality rods. The Ugly Stick custom surfrods to be exact. I got the chance to cast this rod and use it a few times out on the water. We were using the 8'6" version casting 1oz-2oz lures. The rod is super light wieght, feels and looks like a bass rod but built for big game. 5 star 8)

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_rods.html

Hitokiri

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »
Product name: Gamakatsu hooks vs Owner hooks (Wide gap rig'n style hooks)

What it is or whats it use is: Wide gap hooks used for rig'n plastic baits

Price: Varies based on size and amount - about $5- $6 for half a dozen (?)

Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review:

1. Gamakatsu hooks
 - I tried these because it seemed to be popular among many elite bass fishermen and promoted by shops such as Gander Mtn in their plastic products. I use these hooks mainly for wacky rig'n or weedless rig'n and to say the least I was disappointed by the Gamakatsu. The hooks are thinner when compared to the Owner hooks and bent easily when they were caught on rocks or logs. My brother and I spend much of early summer straightening these hooks with our pliers which became annoying after a while.

2. Owner hooks
- I've never heard of Owner before but tried them out after close examination. The Owner hooks are thicker then their Gamakatsu rivals and the Owner hooks come to a defined tip (like a sharpened pencil) unlike the Gamakatsu hooks which the tip and hook are basically forged as one. Again I used these hooks on plastic rigs and they did not fail me. I fished all last late summer and fall and neither my brother or I remember ever having to straighten them. The product is strong and hooks the fish well which is important mostly if you're fishing weedless.

Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best):

1. Gamakatsu Hooks
- I'll give this product 1 outta 5 stars. These are weak and thin hooks and even though they do hook the fish well the do not stand up well to abuse. We had to buy pack after pack since we damaged so many hooks.

2. Owner hooks
- I give this product 5 outta 5 stars. These hooks are strong and dependable and their gap is perfect for rig'n plastics. I would rank these hooks up there with Rapala hooks without a doubt. I only bought one hook set last year and I'm still using the same hook this summer. If that's not impressive I don't what is.

Owner owns!

SwordSkill23

Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »

StrikeKing Bleeding Buzzbait...I know some you have this one in the tackle

TopWater Action
$2.49-2.99

Very good buzzbait, skweaky and leaves bubble trail, comes in an assorment of colors, but I find black is most productive. Caught plenty of bass with it, and every time it's a mentionable sized bass. If you want a big bass bait I'd have to say you can't go wrong with this buzzbait. Great with it's pricing and a producer.

- 5 STARS

Trojan

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
berkley bionix
$49.99
three of them 6' mh , one 6' 6" mh, 2 spinning n 2 baitcasting rods. best rod for the price range, the feel n performance of highend rod without the penalty price.

berkley series
$79.99
6' mh, same as the bionix except it is a little stiffer

always buy noncoated rods, lighter n feels better

hey rick, do u know if Berkely has dicontinued their Bionx series rod? I have been tring to find a 7ft medium casting.

ricqik

Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
i think they have, i no longer see them at walmart anymore, so now i have to get the series from cabela's which is a step above the bionix.

but dang, 7'.............. ..... 6' 6" is a hinderence for me already. i stick with 6' max. i don't even like my 6' 6" that much.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:27:46 PM by ricqik »

Advertisements