Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Equipment Reviews  (Read 54157 times)

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
dam whatever happen to the 20 dollar rods at walmart lol all i see is mostly 100 dollars and plus i think i better post another thread cheapest equipment lol

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

blablablablabla

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
Shimano Curado 201 BSF $150
cool green color,6.2 gearing, super smooth even after 5 years of service with me, never been serviced, a lot of boat rash but doesn't mess with performance of reel, holds a lot of line, harder to palm due to its size, overall great reel one that i will never get rid of as its my first baitcast!

Shimano Curado 201E7 $179

Awesome,7.0 gearing, same size as 100 series from last year, holds same amount of line as the 200 series, super smooth, very light weight but its not magnesium, makes my imx and mossybacks even more fishable all day long! I own 2 and will be replacing all of my reels with all curados!

Bass Pro Shops Extreme Reel $60
6.2 and 5.4 gearing, back lash issues, smooth, casting ability ok, cool green color, swept style handle, used for cranks, will never buy again

G Loomis GLX SJR783S $385 6'6 mh spinning
super light, super sensitive, my go to walleye rod and also used for docks

G Loomis IMX MBR843C $270 7' mh baitcast
super light, super sensitive, great for worms t and c-rigged

G Loomis IMX MBR844C $285 7' h baitcast
super light, super sensitive, great for pitchn heavy cover also used for a c-rig

G Loomis Mossyback BCFR894 $325 7'5 h baitcast
super light, super sensitive, heavy action made to pull fish out of the thick stuff, super stiff yet very very sensitive, also used as a frog rod

i'm a firm believer in higher end rods, it has upped my hookup percentage and I will never look back.  I'll take a Gloomis IMX over any rod on the market today!  No St.Croix's for me!

Cabelas King Kat Rod 7' mh spinning $20
glass composite rod, foam grips, kinda heavy, ultimate rough fish rod, I still have yet to catch a fish with it! 

HB 997csi  $emptied my wallet for this one
pain in the ass to install, expensive as hell to replace a transducer, navionics mapping sucks, GPS is way off, awesome 2d and SI charts!

Lowrance LMS522i $500
internal antenna, crappy reception, losing position constantly, shallow water 2d really blows, deep water 2d is ok, Lakemaster mapping is great, easy to install

Garmin 240 $16k i guess came with the boat
doesn't show fish arches, turn fish id on and you're in heaven with fish everywhere, great for on plane running-JUNK!

HydroDynamics Hi-Jacker Manual Jack Plate
install easy, 1/4" adjustment by clicks, easy to adjust, nice and shiny aluminum, better holeshot and better RPM range

;)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:40:31 AM by blablablablabla »

DeceiversChick

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
dam whatever happen to the 20 dollar rods at walmart lol all i see is mostly 100 dollars and plus i think i better post another thread cheapest equipment lol
I agree.

I actually have a shimano reel that I bought for roughly $30 and it's good enough for me.

redfork

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
my co-worker and his buddies started this tackle site.

http://www.tackletour.com/

redfork

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
they started small but after almost 10 yrs of hard work, it paid off. unfortunately, they don't fish everyday. He still works as an engineer.

ricqik

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
revo's = they tend to fall in the water ;D

agentx

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »
how big is your trolling motor?
how many # thrust?
what size trolling motor would be good for a 18' aluminum with a 90 hp motor?

ricqik

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
go the max if u can, don't skimp out on power if u don't have to

blablablablabla

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »
how big is your trolling motor?
how many # thrust?
what size trolling motor would be good for a 18' aluminum with a 90 hp motor?

get a 101 

Nom Phaj

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »
My gear.

Shimano calcutta 151 with 20 pound power pro
shimano schmitar 7ft MH pole

Shimano curado with 10 pound Pline
Gloomis 6ft MH pole

Pflueger spincast 8 bb reel with 10 pound power pro
6foot Gloomis MH pole

Sturgeon Stick
8 foot Ugly Stick
Daiwa with 35pound maxima (love the clicking noise)

THERIVER

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

RAPALA MINNOW RAP
Price: $7.99
Rating: 5 out of 5
Works great casting or trolling.
Great action on this crankbait.
Works good for 'eyes and bass.

RUhmong

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
I'm not a big fan with big money gears and gadgets.  Why?  Well that is because I'm no pro.  

Give me any reel, whether baitcaster or spinning reel, what I usually look for is the bang for your buck with high ball bearings because I like things to be smooth.  If it has a high ball bearing then perhaps it is a highly advance (enough) type of a reel in other aspect as well?  

My uncle is flea market and garage sale for fishing equipment type of a guy.  He values his made in japan or germany made products.  If china or korea, forget about it.  

With baitcaster, I like distance casting , the drag and anti blacklash system.  It is because I tend to do mostly bigger games fishing like striper and I need to get my lures out there with surf fishing.  

I see guys who protects their gears like how I would protect my bible with something like this

Cool concept if you have an expensive item but to me, I am known to break my equipment but when that happens, it is usually a low scale item and I can always replace it.  

I like a package deal too.  Last year, I was able to nabbed myself a daiwa procaster rod and baitcasting reel combo for 59.99 at pro bass shop online as an x-mas gift for myself.  The reel alone is 49.99.  It has not fail me yet and it serves the purpose.  A few months later, I was so impressed that I ended up buying me another one of this combo but the rod is a little tad longer.  I'm currently looking online for the next best deals out there.  

spinning reel, I like my shimano older generation that has a bait runner on the bottom.  My candy azz lost so many poles to giant stripers when it took my pole and reel into the water with them.  With a bait runner, the fish can just runs off with the bait, swallowed it (prefer) and gives me enough time to take a pee then catch my rod for the fight later.  I have bait runner by shimano in all kinds of sizes.  For some reason, I just like the shimano brand.  Even my mountain bike has shimano parts on it.  

The only thing I don't go cheap on is my lines.  

This right here is a bass pro shop megacast .  From the sound of it, it looks like it can cast far and it also has an on/off bait clicker switch.  What this does it is it acts like a bell where if a fish hits your bait, it will make a clicking noise.  Sounds fruity to me but I'm not buying this combo for 49.99 with only 3 ball bearing.

This next one has a line counter on it.  Line counter?  Well it sure benefits some fishing where you suspend your bait at a depth where a certain type of fish is feeding.  I sure don't have those types of fish around here.  Shakespear 69.99

and last but not least, a high price but not the highest that I saw at 900 for a stinking reel, a Johnny Morris brand combo at 369.98

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:13:52 AM by RUhmong »

THERIVER

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
Just picked up a 7 ft. St. Croix Legen Elite ML spinning rod.
Best rod I've ever used.
Did set me back a pretty penny though but it's worth it.

Been slaughtering the 'eyes with it the last week and a half.

fish4keep

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
IMHO, I think you get what you paid for it.....

Edit* not counting sales and clearances....

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:28:08 PM by fish4keep »

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »
JDM for you guys

Product name: Shimano Metanium Mg7

What it is or whats it use is: This is a baitcasting reel made with magnesium alloy for the reel frame.  It's very light and weighs in at 6 oz.  This reels comes with 8 bearings with four of them in the handle knobs.  The gear ratio for this on is 7.0 but amazingly it has the power to crank medium divers decently.   That is due to the larger gears it has, although the handle only comes in at 80 mm.  The drag star clicks, but the cast control knob does not.  The level wind guide is taper to be larger on the side of the spool so this helps reduce backlash.  The level wind guide is also titanium nitride coated.  The spool is a standard 100 size and is machined aircraft aluminum with crossed drilled holes.
The nice thing about this reel is that the reel body is all smooth with no holes on the outside for screws that you see on most reels.  Performing reel maintenance is kind of tricky as you may need a fairly long #1 phillips to get at a screw. 

Price:  Depends on JPN yen, but around $400 USD.

Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review: Yes.  I used this reel for cranks, spinners, buzzbaits, and some plastics.  This reel can cast light weight of 1/4 oz with great distances.  There is almost no backlash because of the tapered levelwind line guide.  The line lay on the spool is tight and very uniform.   The magnesium alloy frame makes this reel feel kind of hollow and fragile while you crank.  It's a great reel for finesse techniques.

Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best): 4.0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements