Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Equipment Reviews  (Read 54417 times)

bASS_BLASTER

Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
Too many people with too many answers. Lets just think scientifically . I don't think any gear oil will eat away any stainless steel or titanium ball bearings. If so, it probably take hundreds or years since the lube is actually protecting the bearings from rust. If it does, its probably at such an unnoticeable rate so I wouldn't worry unless you have ceramic bearings then it will depend the type of gear oil. Another thing I worry about is the gear oil eating away rubber gaskets if any. So, as far all I know, bacon grease, massage oil, household oil etc.. will probably work well except it will crumb up in time as friction builds.

Gesh, you guys worry too much.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

addisonlee

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
Too many people with too many answers. Lets just think scientifically . I don't think any gear oil will eat away any stainless steel or titanium ball bearings. If so, it probably take hundreds or years since the lube is actually protecting the bearings from rust. If it does, its probably at such an unnoticeable rate so I wouldn't worry unless you have ceramic bearings then it will depend the type of gear oil. Another thing I worry about is the gear oil eating away rubber gaskets if any. So, as far all I know, bacon grease, massage oil, household oil etc.. will probably work well except it will crumb up in time as friction builds.

Gesh, you guys worry too much.

O0 :2funny:

bumzc

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
I gotta worry cause fishing is one expensive hobby

blablablablabla

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »
Cash don't grow thick on trees for Bumz and I, unlike Blaster it grows on trees his pockets are full have no place to put, its even moldy........  O0

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »
Cash don't grow thick on trees for Bumz and I, unlike Blaster it grows on trees his pockets are full have no place to put, its even moldy........  O0

You guys need to start printing your money guys.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
I'm not the guy with two boats, luxury sports sedan, an SUV and 1000's of fishing rods. With joking aside, I think neither of us is at a level of deep pockets. I used to waste money I never had so now I learning how to take care of my things which is why I take advice from guys like ya'll.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:30:04 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »
The reviews that I am going over are the types of fishing poles and reels that I've used.

I currently own many rods for different type of techniques for fishing.  I will start and explaining my techniques for fishing.

The best rod I used so far is the Bionix by Berkley usually 6" because the rod is very stiff and can be felt even by the littliest bite.  Will beat any fishing pole outthere when it comes to feeling the littliest bite.  Put this rode in action in a damn where there are alot of hmong people and this rod is the only pole seem to be catching the picking white bass who seems to take small bites or nips.
Cost to own: 54 bucks.
Reel put on rod is the Shimano Stradic® FI Spinning Reel which cost about 150 and up.

Rod= Berkley cherrywood 6"= 24 bucks
info- This rod is very good and stiff but not quality isn't as good as the Bionix.  This rod will the do the job and will out perform other rods for the cheap price.
Reel put on this rod- Shimano Sienna 2500RD=40 bucks

Rod=Daiwa 6" =24 bucks
Reel-Daiwa= 30 bucks
Comment-This brand of gear is good quality, but will probbaly not buy it again because the feel isn't like the berkley and the Shimano reel. 

Rod=Shakespear 5'6 =16 bucks
reel=shakepear=came with fishing rod
Comment=love this flexible rod and because it is small.  I used this for super fly fishing.  What I mean is that I jig three times for every 5 seconds until I get a bite.  Works like wonder.  People just look around and thinks that I am crazy for jigging so fast, but it works right. 

addisonlee

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »

Product name: Pflueger Supreme XT 9030 Spinning Reel

What it is or whats it use is: white bass, walleye, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and smaller trout.

Price: $99.99 (Got it on sale for $79.99)

Reason to buy or not buy the product - what was good or bad about it - overall review:

PROs: Love the Gear Ratio: 6.2:1 for a spinning reel! Drag is not too loud or too queit, just perfect. Performs well in all conditions, rain or shine. Love the gold color, definitely stands out.

Lightweight durable magnesium body & rotor
 9 stainless steel ball bearings
 Corrosion resistant bearings in key locations
 One-way clutch instant anti-reverse bearing
 Evenly applied, heat resistant carbon washer with a wide range tension adjustability
 Double anodized machined aluminum spool with holes
 Aluminum side plate
 Sure-ClickTM bail provides an audible signal when bail is fully opened and ready to cast
 Large stainless steel bail wire
 Anti-twist titanium line roller
 Machined aluminum handle with soft touch knob
 Sealed drag system
 Spare aluminum spool
 Convertible right or left hand retrieve
 On/Off anti-reverse
 Neoprene reel bag
Gear Ratio: 6.2:1
Line Capacity: 9030 XT- 280 yds/4 lb, 160 yds/6 lb, 140 yds/8 lb

CONs: There's not much to complain about. Only thing I can think of is that it's not as smooth as the Pflueger Presidential, but definitely more durable.

Your grade from 5-1 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best): 4.8/5 Near perfect and my go to reel  O0

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
Just picked up a new favorite combo. Steez 103SHA and 6'5" Cumulus. Total weight of rod, reel and 20lb braided power pro = 8.3oz  :o. This thing is unbelievably light. Don't let the rod size fool you. At 6' 5", its extremely powerful. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:26:42 AM by bASS_BLASTER »

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:38 PM »
Nice rod brother.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Never thought it was possible to get a baitcast reel to match the NRX rods but here it is. Just picked it up yesterday. Pflueger Patriarch XT.

I've owned Shimano and Daiwa reels, never Pflueger so I'll update later on how it performs. So far its lightweight for an all aluminum construction frame. 6.8oz. Feels light. I did a couple cast on my yard. Casts 1/8oz jigs nicely. The brake system is on the outside so dialing is very easy just like a Steez compared to Shimano where you would need to take the side plate out. Palming is very easy for an asian brother like me, small palms. Supposedly it has 10 ball bearings and a 20lb drag. I'll put it to a real test on the water this Saturday and will update.

NRX matching reel

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:09:39 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

bumzc

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »
Let us know how it feels and cast.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
On Saturday, I had the chance to use the Pflueger Patriarch XT in the TCHB Tournament. The reel performed really well paired up to the NRX. I was a bit concerned b/c NRX rods are a bit stiff, similar to Daiwa Steez rods. Concerned b/c without any flex it wasn't going to cast my 1/8oz & 1/4oz jigs to my standards but it has just enough flex to make great casts. In the morning I caught 3, 3lbers out of the grass and the drag held really well on the Patriarch. I'll say, @ $249, for 1/2 the price it did a better job then my Daiwa Steez. Only thing I wish they add was a flip switch just like the steez or core 100mgfv. However, I think that will add cost and possibly weight.

The Patriarch XT is Pflueger's top of the line casting reel. Not a lot of people are crazy about the color (Silver & Blue) but for those who have OCD like me, its color scheme is a perfect match with the Gloomis NRX.

At $249, it is an outstanding reel. At 6.8oz, it might not be a steez or Core 50mg but 1.2oz is not much weight to tell the different and the power of the reel is incredible. I would highly recommend this reel to anyone who is in the market.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:45:39 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

basside

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
I just picked up the new Eskimo pop-up ice shelter yesterday (11/14/11) from Joe's. MSRP: $379, Sale price: $249. I only saw 2, 949i thermal left. Its fully thermal insulated, inside-out and has a total fishing space of 61 square feet, compared to my 6'x8' Clam, 48 square feet.

Pro's: Thermal insulated will help retain heat and reduce condensation. Flare out bottom has 13 more square feet of fishing space. Straight line zipper will reduce wear and tear.

Con's: None so far since there is no ice so no real world test except one concern. The stitching on the strap handle of one side ripped off 3-4 stitches when I opened it out of the box and carried it. My thoughts, its just a bag and the materials on that isn't all that important. I'm hoping the material and stitching on the pop-up is better then the bag. 

agentx

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2011, 02:11:11 AM »
I picked up a fat fish too...

have't used it yet but from first look seems like the skirts are a bit small/ so you can't pile on a lot of snow to keep in the heat...also the bag as with previous eskimo bags are too small for the house and it's quite a chore to get the house back in the bag especially when you're out fishing all day and the house is cold/frozen on outside.

Advertisements