Advertisement

Author Topic: Ok..another one. At funerals....  (Read 21933 times)

LadyThao

Re: Ok..another one. At funerals....
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »
that's why you get your whiney ass and their lazy ass and do something together!!!!! duh!

like i always say, if you didn't say shit then you can't say shit now!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

fiery

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
Look, it's not like the kid has been to that many funerals. They're kids. It's probably their first one. If they're just standing there, make them useful. Most kids dont hesitate to help out of an elder asks them to help. They stand there because they dont know what to do. It's your duty as the older person to show/tell them. Isnt that how traditions are passed on?

::)

GaPpiE

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
I think you are mistaken. I see more Hmong women participating in the Hmong funerals and doing what they are supposed to do than the men.
i didn't say that women don't participate, yes they help and we're all so thankful. i'm simply implying that hmong woman cannot do the mans job when it comes to funeral ceremonies. and if they can, then i'd like to see.
and if ya'll think funerals are just about eating and seeing people then you're sadly mistaken. there's a far deeper purpose.
when you're brought into this world your spirit is called and when you leave your spirit must be sent back.
theres a great book on this subject matter, i forgot the name. but... ask one of your clan fathers. you'll be amazed what they know and what you've to learn. what we all have to learn.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:32:26 PM by GaPpiE »

Bob_J.D.

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
If you don't like the younger kids standing around, then get the HNIC to assign them jobs.  There are usually two HNIC around.

I seriously believe the Hmong funeral is going to be a dying tradition especially after a few more generation.  I'm not here arguing the good or bad, just my opinion. 

bob

Vangpao

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
Ok....for you americanized kids, do you know what you need to do at a funeral when it's your family that passed away?  I see too many of young bucks/gals at funeral just sitting on their arse looking all lost.  How dare you.  Ok ok, you show your face and you think that's enough.  When you are asked to wake up like 2:00-3:00 in the morning to go slaughter pigs/cows/chickens, you're like, "I don't know how".  Times like this, you're useless to me. >:D

I bought the animal-You can chop it up as I "...show [my] face...[and am]...sitting on [my] arse...". Fair trade?

Now get back to chopping you ungrateful Hmong. And chop with a smile knowing that you're leaving with a full gut due to some else's contribution.

Devilhimself3312

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
Look, it's not like the kid has been to that many funerals. They're kids. It's probably their first one. If they're just standing there, make them useful. Most kids dont hesitate to help out of an elder asks them to help. They stand there because they dont know what to do. It's your duty as the older person to show/tell them. Isnt that how traditions are passed on?

Ok lady, you're getting off the subject here.  I'm not talking about actual kids here.  I'm talking about a grown woman such as yourself who is there and has no clue on what to do.  You're trying to stray off the subject here.   >:D

Devilhimself3312

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
Looks like the host of this thread just got kicked...and kicked rather hard.  Wanna free lunch?  Now ya got one.  I must agree, start choppin'. 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're time will come when your mom or dad passed and you'll think back on this thread and wonder why you didn't just take some minor advice(s) from this host of this thread.  Remember, your time will come.  By then, I'll be smiling and choppin that meat you supposedly bought for the better good of your life as a respect for them bringing you into this life.  Than you can sit there and still smile and make jokes about it.  Ok young homie....lol. >:D

Devilhimself3312

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »
I bought the animal-You can chop it up as I "...show [my] face...[and am]...sitting on [my] arse...". Fair trade?

Now get back to chopping you ungrateful Hmong. And chop with a smile knowing that you're leaving with a full gut due to some else's contribution.

Yeah, sounds like a fair trade.  Like I said, kids who think like you, their time will come when it's their own mommy or daddy who goes.  Then, I'll be more than happy to chop that meat just for you.  I'll make sure I prepare a meal for you and you can sit there just to show your face ok.  Remember to smile as well during than.  Don't worry, your time will come and who knows, this simple thread will come back to kick you in your sitting go happy a.ss.....lol.  Get it?  Got it?  Good!!! >:D

yamaha

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »
don't you have to give 10% of your income to those who come do jingle bell at your place too?that's what i thought. 8)

failed! they dont have to give 10% of their income to those who come do jingle bell at their place.never..i f you did you just got hustle! and it's not all the time probably once a year minimum....not like hmong mus church..10% monthly...how sad..you know how much you can do with that 10%! a lot..

let see...you make 2000k you put 200 hundred in each month ..200 times 12 equals 2400 yearly wow!! $2400 omg! that's a good 60 something inch flat screen tv! or a used car possibly!

femme fatale

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
Define the age of these kids you are talking about. :P

I help out if it's close family, otherwise if I'm a guest then I'm a guest. 

Note: Aside from those that are already delegated in the kitchen....the men take care of the slaughtering, prepping the meat, and the women take care of the cooking, setting the table, drinks, dishes, cleaning..etc.

LeLe

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
Usually when it's your immediate family, you aren't supposed to do anything.  Whether it's traditional or christian funeral, you still go and kill cows.  I don't really go to funerals unless it's someone I know personally.  The only funeral I did help was my great grandmother's funeral and that was because it was my family's turn to cook.  I didn't do anything at my grandparents or my sister's funeral, we were sent away by the people who were assigned to cook at my grandparents funerals.  And at my sister's funeral, we had a lot of American people from church at the house and we were busy comforting eachother.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:27:30 PM by LeLe »

ThePhatSista

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »
For the girls they make us pass out refreshments to the guests. And if it's an immediate family member that passed away, like a granparent, parent, uncle, etc, then the offsprings also have to go "xyom". It's only if it's one of those 3 day long traditional hmong funerals.

THE DIVINE CONDOR

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
A l l  I  d o  a t  f u n e r a l s  i s  s i t  a r o u n d ,  l i s t e n  t o  m y  i P O D ,  a n d   g e t   l o s t  i n  a w o r l d  o f  m u s i c .

Vangpao

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
Yeah, sounds like a fair trade.  Like I said, kids who think like you, their time will come when it's their own mommy or daddy who goes.  Then, I'll be more than happy to chop that meat just for you.  I'll make sure I prepare a meal for you and you can sit there just to show your face ok.  Remember to smile as well during than.  Don't worry, your time will come and who knows, this simple thread will come back to kick you in your sitting go happy a.ss.....lol.  Get it?  Got it?  Good!!! >:D

Quit your bit-ching and get back to chopping. If that's the only thing you can contribute to the common wealth-Great.

As for me "...smiling...", don't worry, I will.
I'll also have a piñata filled with cash and that'll turn the funeral into a fiesta.

This thread isn't going to "...kick..." me-But it's kicked you I see.

I take it you never thought about others and their contributions either. You just wanted to get a free meal and now you're upset that you had to work for it. After all you didn't do it out of love for the deceased, just some notion that you respected them and not out of genuine love and empathy. So then you'll try to rectify the situation with a flash of your Hmong knife and a tree trunk chopping block.

The best part about this whole complaint of yours is this, you do this labour so that you can hold the competed task over your peer's heads like it was some special goal to attain. Face it Devil, you're trying to portray this Hmong Funeral Food Preparation Issue the same way Huckleberry Finn portrayed the white-washing of the fence. This isn't a call to Hmong Funeral Duty, it's you bit-ching about how you were stuck doing the task and how much you dispise it. 

Did you "get it"? Have you "got it"? Good?

fiery

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »
Ok lady, you're getting off the subject here.  I'm not talking about actual kids here.  I'm talking about a grown woman such as yourself who is there and has no clue on what to do.  You're trying to stray off the subject here.   >:D

I wasn't at all straying. Maybe you shouldn't use the terms 'kids' when you mean full grown adults.

Advertisements