Advertisement

Author Topic: NBA TALK  (Read 125846 times)

primetime

Re: Phil Jackson: Talent doesn't always win
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:38 AM »
Yep, know your role on the team and of course DEF. I think that's where I have ?s on miami same with rebounds. :-\

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

N`Chync

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Yea Miami is lacking in the rebounds and inside. We'll see how their team defense turns out.

primetime

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
That coming from Phil who has had the best talent ever in the NBA.
He's had great talent but he also knows how to surround them with the players needed to win.

We'll see if miami can do that with those 3. Can't see them winning with that team right now though, unless ppl forget to play def in the playoffs or the refs hand it to them like the lakers last year.

N`Chync

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »
That coming from Phil who has had the best talent ever in the NBA.

Stever Kerr, Luc Longley, Bill Wennigton, Randy Brown, Jud Buechler...... .. yea he had the best talant lol.

N`Chync

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Errr... did you forget Michael Jordan? Shaq? Kobe?

Were all 3 on 1 team? The guys I named were.

FRUMTHASOUF

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
I totally agree with Phil Jackson. I'm a huge Lakers fan. Lakers have an established triangle offense that works well for the team. Not only that but they play defense. Miami Heat, on the other hand, has some talented players that most players in the NBA can't compare to but in the end it comes down to teamwork. The team with the best teamwork will win it. Just because you have super stars in your team doesn't mean you're gonna win. It's been proven time after time. Even the Lakers team that had Karl Malone and Gary Payton failed...and Karl Malone is considered to be one of the greatest power forwards of all time and Gary Payton is considered one of the greatest point guards of all time. Combined with Kobe and Shaq's talent...they still lost. That's four players who will be in the hall of fame as one of the greatest...and still couldn't win a championship. But if the Lakers stay healthy this year I'm sure it could very well be another championship.

N`Chync

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:54 AM »
I'm glad u can relate Phil Jackson coaching talented players with him talking about the talent doesn't always win when he was asked about the Miami big 3. Guess some people fail to see what Phil was talking about about.

2Wicked

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »

of course didn't the ncaa show the world wussup?  Memphis didn't do jack and all the players were like top 10th picks or at least all first rounder.

usually a team that wins championship has...

phil jackson
one that can score at will
a side kick(kind of like  pippen)
one that does the dirty work and lil offense(hustle, defend, rebound)
a guy that is a pure shooter(3 pt shooter)
and a big guy

;D ;D ;D

primetime

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2010, 07:03:17 AM »
And usually 2 good bench players.

pac

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »

Throw in all NBA stars, send them to the Olympics, call them the dream team, and they win every game.

That's talent over anything.

what happen in 2004 olympics? epic fail ;D

paulrok

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
what happen in 2004 olympics? epic fail ;D
That's one mishap.. and USA lost to a talented Argentina team. Now look at it from an different angle. How many medals has USA won with talent?

I'll take talent any day. All the team work in the world could not save the Nets, Kings, Pistons, Wizards or Wolves last season. Give'em a Wade like player and they're in the hunt or a contender. Talent wins if not all the time. Phil knows this. He's coached some of the most talented players in basketball history. Of course talent doesn't win all the time.. Team work alone definitely does not unless you're the 2003 Pistons. ;D The Lakers are one of the most talented teams in the league.. There's Gasol, Kobe, Fisher, Odom, Bynum and Artest. Not too long ago the talented Lakers lost to the talented Celtics in the finals. Now the talented Celtics lost to the talented Lakers. That's right both teams have talent! Winning teams have talent.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:33:20 PM by paulrok »

N`Chync

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
That's one mishap.. and USA lost to a talented Argentina team. Now look at it from an different angle. How many medals has USA won with talent?

I'll take talent any day. All the team work in the world could not save the Nets, Kings, Pistons, Wizards or Wolves last season. Give'em a Wade like player and they're in the hunt or a contender. Talent wins if not all the time. Phil knows this. He's coached some of the most talented players in basketball history. Of course talent doesn't win all the time.. Team work alone definitely does not unless you're the 2003 Pistons. ;D The Lakers are one of the most talented teams in the league.. There's Gasol, Kobe, Fisher, Odom, Bynum and Artest. Not too long ago the talented Lakers lost to the talented Celtics in the finals. Now the talented Celtics lost to the talented Lakers. That's right both teams have talent! Winning teams have talent.

talent does get you places but your looking at what Phil said in all the wrong ways. Phil never had 3 of the top players in the league on his team. the Lakers according to a panel of players and coaches have 5 of the 50 best players currently in the league right now but only 1 of them are in the top with Kobe being number 1. with the Kobe-Shaq Lakers he had 2 surrounded by role players and same goes for the Bulls. Phil has had the best of team game and talent. teams like the past Pistons, Nets, and Kings had team work but not enough talent, meaning they never had a true first options and Kobe, Shaq, and Jordan were those first options on their respected teams. the big 3 of the Celtics compliment each other and they kept their role players in the KG trade.

USA's recent win at FIBA was their first in 16 years

"who won gold in the worlds for the fourth time, doing so with a team that was no sure thing after coming to Turkey without the superstars from its Olympic gold medal team."
"With Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Co. sitting home, this group was called a "B-Team," which the players were aware of and couldn't wait to disprove."

Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton lost the Pistons.
Olajuwon, Drexler, and Barkley lost to the Jazz
Kemp, Payton, Schrempf, and Hawkins lost to the Jazz
Nowitzki, Nash, Jamison, Walker, and Finley couldnt go no where
the Piston's Bad Boys team dominate more talented teams in their era

"I'll take talent any day. All the team work in the world could not save the Nets, Kings, Pistons, Wizards or Wolves last season. Give'em a Wade like player and they're in the hunt or a contender. "

Averagin 24.6 points, 6.9 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 1.7 steals while only playing 51 games Miami only went 15-67. not much of a contender. even Wade couldn't save those teams.

2Wicked

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »

lets get down to business. 

if a TALENTED team has Phill Jackson = championship!   ;D

paulrok

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
Different prespectives. Phil is looking at the glass half empty. I'm looking at it as half full.

Phil: Talent doesn't always win.
Me: Talent increases your chances of winning.

N`Chync

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying that a super talented team can't get beat by an average talented team that has good team work, all I'm saying is that Phil Jackson shouldn't be the one to talk because I'm willing to bet he would never take any coaching position if it didn't have super talented stars.

true but he also knows too many talented stars at the same time doesn't always win.

Different prespectives. Phil is looking at the glass half empty. I'm looking at it as half full.

Phil: Talent doesn't always win.
Me: Talent increases your chances of winning.

i think he's looking at it as a glass overflowing

itrs gonna be a great season. on a different my iPhone's ESPN Scorecenter app kept sending me notifications and i was thinking damn foot isn't this early. went and checked the scores and it was the scores of the Lakers-Wolvers preseason game lol. Wolves 60-Lakers 56 beginning of 3rd quarter. and Beasly is playing up.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:30:55 PM by N`Chync »

Advertisements