Advertisement

Author Topic: any books from a hmong writer?  (Read 30602 times)

PEARL

Re: any books from a hmong writer?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
There's a book called "Through the Spirit Window" or door written by a Hueson Yang?  I use to have the book... but I have no idea where it went...

Supposedly, it's an autobiography of Hueson, from Laos through the Vietnam War, to his arrival in the US.

Very moving story... If only I remember where the book went... -_-

http://www.hmongstudies.com/HSJ-v1n2_SpiritsDoor.pdf

Link is to someone's review on the book... I think...

nice book..

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yes

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »
"Through the Spirits Door" by Hueson Yang. Just starting it now.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
"Through the Spirits Door" by Hueson Yang. Just starting it now.

Is that like "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Lady_Fallin

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 02:15:07 AM »
Is that like "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"?

Nope, it's completely different.  Nothing dealing with the medical field.  Just an autobiography of a man and his past... Starts off when he was about 12? 13?  Talked a bit about his experience in the war... Some parts of the stories are quite vivid with imagery of war scenes.   

Lady_Fallin

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:21 AM »
Oh yeah... There is this magazine in which Hmong writers from all over the US have their stories, poems, etc. published twice every year.  I think the magazine is called "Paj Ntaub Voice."  I believe the hmong lady behind "Bamboo Among the Oaks" is behind this magazine.   If only I could recall her name... hmmm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paj_Ntaub_Voice

passingby#2

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
if you want main stream then no.

Nickole

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »
I just came across this, check it out

Hmong author, Yakao Yang

A Hmong Boy's Story

Review here - http://booksnob-booksnob.blogspot.com/2011/04/hmong-boys-story.html

A Hmong Boy's Story by Yakao Yang

During the Vietnam War, the Hmong people helped the United States fight the Vietnamese communist regime.  As you know the U.S. did not win the war and only prolonged the inevitable advance of communism.  The Vietnamese were very cruel to the Hmong people who fought against them and as a result many Hmong people entered refugee camps and tried to find a way to live the rest of their lives here in the United States.  Today, their are still Hmong waiting in Refugee camps in Thailand.

A Hmong Boy's Story chronicles the life of a young boy growing up during this conflict of political powers.   This is Yakao Yang's memoir which details the racism and prejudice he faced as a Hmong boy trying to get an education (when education wasn't valued by Hmong people).  He had to attend school where at times he was the only Hmong child in the classroom.  He made friends, learned as much as he could and overcame many obstacles.

What I enjoyed most was learning about the Hmong culture and history, from their lifestyle in the mountains, their courting and marriage rituals, to life in the refugee camps and the migration of the people from place to place.  I really learned a lot and feel I know the history and culture of my Hmong students better.  Every year I attend Hmong New Year at my kids school and participate in the ball toss and the traditional New Year's feast.  I feel that I truly understand the surnames and the rituals behind the Hmong New Year. 

Yang's memoir is very detailed and hard to read at times because English is not his native language. Yet, it is very readable and entertaining for those willing to persevere.  I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Hmong culture.  I think he has created a unique memoir and his family would be very proud of all he accomplished in his life.  Yakao is a man who values education and loves his family and it shows in his book.  Thank you Yakao Yang for sharing your personal story.

But it at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0979073154/ref=as_li_tf_til?tag=booksnob-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0979073154&adid=15XAWK15RCFDDH56NMZ1&

evil-in-deed

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
most of these are about hmong peoples lives targeting hmong people...

if only they could use the hmong peoples lives and target a wider range of crowd...

MilesDaddy

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »

ThePhatSista

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:27 PM »
I just came across this, check it out

Hmong author, Yakao Yang

A Hmong Boy's Story

Review here - http://booksnob-booksnob.blogspot.com/2011/04/hmong-boys-story.html

A Hmong Boy's Story by Yakao Yang

During the Vietnam War, the Hmong people helped the United States fight the Vietnamese communist regime.  As you know the U.S. did not win the war and only prolonged the inevitable advance of communism.  The Vietnamese were very cruel to the Hmong people who fought against them and as a result many Hmong people entered refugee camps and tried to find a way to live the rest of their lives here in the United States.  Today, their are still Hmong waiting in Refugee camps in Thailand.

A Hmong Boy's Story chronicles the life of a young boy growing up during this conflict of political powers.   This is Yakao Yang's memoir which details the racism and prejudice he faced as a Hmong boy trying to get an education (when education wasn't valued by Hmong people).  He had to attend school where at times he was the only Hmong child in the classroom.  He made friends, learned as much as he could and overcame many obstacles.

What I enjoyed most was learning about the Hmong culture and history, from their lifestyle in the mountains, their courting and marriage rituals, to life in the refugee camps and the migration of the people from place to place.  I really learned a lot and feel I know the history and culture of my Hmong students better.  Every year I attend Hmong New Year at my kids school and participate in the ball toss and the traditional New Year's feast.  I feel that I truly understand the surnames and the rituals behind the Hmong New Year. 

Yang's memoir is very detailed and hard to read at times because English is not his native language. Yet, it is very readable and entertaining for those willing to persevere.  I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Hmong culture.  I think he has created a unique memoir and his family would be very proud of all he accomplished in his life.  Yakao is a man who values education and loves his family and it shows in his book.  Thank you Yakao Yang for sharing your personal story.

But it at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0979073154/ref=as_li_tf_til?tag=booksnob-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0979073154&adid=15XAWK15RCFDDH56NMZ1&

Thank you for suggesting this book as I've read it too.

ladyMAY

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Are there any Hmong writer that writes fictional  books?

A

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
THERE IS A BOOK BY KELLY VANG CALLED STAR WATCHER...IT IS A COLLECTION OF POEMS THAT FORMS A STORY...CHECK IT OUT!!!
HERE IS THE LINK: www.kellyvang. com/p/star-watchers_​30.html

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
Too many books based on the author life from thier childhood..... .........  I have my own collection of books but I have yet to finished one from the beginning till end.  Maybe its because the story of thier life is just like anyone else that it can get bored after a while. 

mrhmoobportland

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
beside kalia yang.. i read her book already

I'm working on a massive series that will be published to Kindle.  It's not ready yet.  Check back in some time. :)

I'm skipping the paper shuffling of traditional publishers, because I really don't want to waste time or commissions on agents.  Plus, traditional publisher pays you a drop in the bucket for all the effort.  It takes months to write a book!  So my series will take years.

I'm also writing a "Hmong" fantasy/historical fiction novel as well.  It's about a modern wannabe gangster who learns to appreciate his Hmongness after a near death experience.  If there's enough interest, I might put my big series on hold to work on the Hmong book first.  My biggest concern was that if I spent time writing the Hmong book first, there wouldn't be enough Hmong readers to actually support me.  Good writing takes a lot of time and a lot of editing and revising before it can be published.  I would like to quit my day job and write full time, but I can't do this pro-bono, so Hmong readers will just need to wait.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:05:31 PM by mrhmoobportland »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm working on a massive series that will be published to Kindle.  It's not ready yet.  Check back in some time. :)

I'm skipping the paper shuffling of traditional publishers, because I really don't want to waste time or commissions on agents.  Plus, traditional publisher pays you a drop in the bucket for all the effort.  It takes months to write a book!  So my series will take years.

I'm also writing a "Hmong" fantasy/historical fiction novel as well.  It's about a modern wannabe gangster who learns to appreciate his Hmongness after a near death experience.  If there's enough interest, I might put my big series on hold to work on the Hmong book first.  My biggest concern was that if I spent time writing the Hmong book first, there wouldn't be enough Hmong readers to actually support me.  Good writing takes a lot of time and a lot of editing and revising before it can be published.  I would like to quit my day job and write full time, but I can't do this pro-bono, so Hmong readers will just need to wait.

Good luck and let us know what happen........ I will support no matter what the book is base on as long as I have my own collections.  I finally will probably finished reading "The Latehomecomer" by Kao Kalia by tonight.  It took me 3 days the most to read it because I have no tv here to watch my favorite shows so those few hours are spent reading.  I want to move on to the next book by any Hmong author that I have.......... .. I think I would read " The Spirit Catch You..." this time because when it happen the girl was living in Merced where I am currently living and many of the people involved from the doctors, Hmong Professor, etc.  My husband know them and he has share a little of it to me so it sound interesting its in the medical field and something I want to learn because I have a medical condition myself........ ...

I have yet to tried the Kindle........ ....

Advertisements