Advertisement

Author Topic: any books from a hmong writer?  (Read 30595 times)

evil-in-deed

Re: any books from a hmong writer?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »
Agree. I think it would be great to simply enjoy a novel written by a Hmong author; not so much a Hmong story.

currently i am reading "a hmong boy's story"... but im having a hard time getting past the grammer...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

evil-in-deed

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »

A relative gave me this book to read. I read the first page and had such a difficult time with the grammar that I just decided not to read it.

true but i went ahead and kept reading it...

while i read it, i picture an old hmong person telling me the story... along with riddles and metaphors... because im sure the writer did meant to speak like such...

evil-in-deed

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »

Yes, I did get that feeling from the first page. But that's an entirely different medium called oral storytelling, and it should be kept strictly to that format. The author should've recorded his story orally; it would've had more impact and we wouldn't be ridiculing his terrible grasp of the English language. And, also, he should've hired someone to be a ghostwriter for his book. I know it would've been expensive but it would've been worth it.

not sure how much it would had helped him on his book... but in the intro, he did mention that his son was going to edit it... however the son passed away before the book was finished...

evil-in-deed

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »

It would've helped tremendously. A ghostwriter basically writes your entire book for you, following your outline.

oh i was talking about his son editing his book...

a ghost writer would had been useful too... considering that he had bad grammar and probably doesnt know what attracts the readers...

but good ups to him for trying...

AZIALYN

NovelistMinnesota

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
Check out SECOND CHANCE by Ong Xiong. It is available as an ebook on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple iBookstore, and other online ebook stores.

zena

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
Check out SECOND CHANCE by Ong Xiong. It is available as an ebook on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple iBookstore, and other online ebook stores.

Looking for new books to read.  Just bought this on my Kindle.  O0

dust

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
Dead Promise by Patch Xiong. It's only available in paperback on amazon. I think you might be able to buy copies at Hmong ABC in HmongTown in St. Paul as well.

chidorix0x

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
...  kekeke   ...   :2funny:

So basically ya'all ha'primitive ha'ignorant ha'clueless ha'idioctic ha'edumacated duh-UH-ha'Mung wants 2 weed ha'primitive ha'ignorant ha'clueless ha'idioctic ha'edumacated ha'DOLTs  ha'books ha'writing ha'Bye duh-UH-ha'Mung ha'why-tards  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

Ha'HINT :
Try "Bamboo Among the Oaks" --  it's a lot of ha'primitive ha'ignorant ha'clueless ha'idioctic ha'edumacated duh-UH-ha'Mung ha'essays ha'ranting HA'MUNGINGLY ha'nonsense ha'incessantly  ...  kekeke  ...   ::)

(I was adamantly informed about it, and read like 2-3 passages, and had diarrhea for days  ...  kekeke  ...   :idiot2:  But surely ya'all duh-UH-ha'Mung ha'primitive ha'ignorant ha'clueless ha'idioctic ha'edumacated HA'MUNG ha'DOLTs will LEWD it  ...  KEKEKE  ...   ::)

zena

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »
Right now I am looking for fantasy and sci-fi stories and other fictions from other genres too.  Not really into non-fiction or thesis type books, although I might give a chance to autobiographie s, biographies, and memoirs, AKA creative non-fictions.  The last book about Hmong people that I read was, "The Spirit Catches You..." I only got halfway because I felt like it was forcing the culture (the religious side of it) down my throat and a lot of the things the Hmong in the story did, my family never did.  I felt it was misleading and that it's unfortunate how they were portraying Hmong people to be so primitive and Shamanistic/animalistic when some were not even that way.  I felt like I was reading a whole different culture and not the one I grew up in.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
Right now I am looking for fantasy and sci-fi stories and other fictions from other genres too.  Not really into non-fiction or thesis type books, although I might give a chance to autobiographie s, biographies, and memoirs, AKA creative non-fictions.  The last book about Hmong people that I read was, "The Spirit Catches You..." I only got halfway because I felt like it was forcing the culture (the religious side of it) down my throat and a lot of the things the Hmong in the story did, my family never did.  I felt it was misleading and that it's unfortunate how they were portraying Hmong people to be so primitive and Shamanistic/animalistic when some were not even that way.  I felt like I was reading a whole different culture and not the one I grew up in.

It is misleading written from the author perspectives.  Those who provide and help her along the way don't agreed either once the book was published but its a start....  That girl passed away last year or the year before. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
Not really a "book" in that sense.  But these are by a Hmong social worker with a PHD.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambodian-American-survivors-Khmer-genocide/dp/3838325931

http://www.amazon.com/Statistics-International-Social-Behavioral-Sciences/dp/0199379556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461786196&sr=1-1

The book is too expensive for a 68 pages. 

I actually wrote down some book title I got from the Hmong Story 40 exhibit that was displayed but havent got the chance to look them up. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Welcome to my world where every book costs an arm and a leg. lol

The second book for 240 pages okay I don't mind but the 68 pages for $70.  I don't want a book that after I read it 1x is going to collect dust.  If it was for a college courses then no choice but just a regular everyday book then it is too much. 

The second book is just released.  I have to go check at B&N if they have one around and take a peek and if it is worth it then maybe I'll buy it.  You're still a student so reading, learning, research, etc. I can see but for people like husband and I there is no purpose because it more research/statistics.

Advertisements