Advertisement

Author Topic: Fashion Slaves...what are you wearing today?  (Read 716447 times)

go-go

Re: Fashion Slaves...what are you wearing today?
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
LMAO, I'mwith you. I refuse to mix patterns cause I'm a chunky gal. It will make me look very npaj nauj and ruam. It's more fitting for skinny chicks. I guess I'll stick to solid colors. I do wear some tops with beads/some kind of design but only on a certain area and not all over the top.

I don't think that's true at all.  I used to think that too, but, that's just because we see it on runway models all the time, so it's more ingrained in our heads.  But I like patterns and prints now more than solids and I'm not a skinny chick by any means! 

Here's a blog you can look at for inspiration:  http://www.tminus-tplus.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

I love how she's not afraid to be big and bold.  Some of the outfits don't work, imo inexperience eyes, but most of them do work and she looked fabulous.  When they do work, you don't see all the lumps and bumps...you see a smooth silhouette, with curves in the right places.  I'm not a big gal like her, but I like her blog nonetheless.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

My Heart Speaks

« Reply #676 on: March 22, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
I like how this lady mixes up her prints and she's a bigger woman. I guess subtle prints work better ?

I like the way she dressed down this print.

go-go

« Reply #677 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
But how would you know if it flatters you when you do look like a bowl of trix? I have no sense of fashion so i wouldn't be able to tell if it does flatter me or not. I may think it does but everyone else doesn't. I dont' have any fashion sense friends who can give me advice so if it looks ugly on me I'm going to stay away from it. lol

Well, I don't know how but if you keep trying, eventually, you'll learn what works for your body and what doesn't.  By now, you should've came across all these "rules" about stripes, what type of clothings works best for your body shape, and what type of fabric looks good, what cut accentuates and flatters you, and you stick with those basics.  Plus, you don't have to go from head to toe in prints or patterns.  I'm not quite there yet... it takes some getting used to.  I started with tshirt and blouses, then cardigans and then adding on skirts.  I haven't even gone into the shoes or scarfs or bags ---or pattern nylons.  Start small and simple and build from there.  

You can read about the rules of mixing patterns, colors and such.  I just started about a year ago and I'm not that good at it but at least, I'm trying. There's a lot of information out there if you really want to learn, then you go start with what you have in the closet and then eventually to the store to try them on!  

In T-minus, T-plus blog, she has a page on mixing patterns and colors.  You can search for other blogs too.
Here's the page on the mixing patterns:  
http://www.tminus-tplus.com/2011/03/reader-questions-pattern-mixing.html

go-go

« Reply #678 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
I like how this lady mixes up her prints and she's a bigger woman. I guess subtle prints work better ?

Subtle prints like chains, architectural designs, simple 2-color plaids, tweeds are all flattering. 

Also, I'm learning that the better quality of the fabric, the better construction of it, the extra details to the lining, darts, boning etc -- they all really make a big difference! But they cost more $$$$!

LadyLionness

« Reply #679 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
But how would you know if it flatters you when you do look like a bowl of trix? I have no sense of fashion so i wouldn't be able to tell if it does flatter me or not. I may think it does but everyone else doesn't. I dont' have any fashion sense friends who can give me advice so if it looks ugly on me I'm going to stay away from it. lol

Precisely why this thread was created... so our fashionable PH friends can help us...

go-go

« Reply #680 on: March 22, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

Yes I like this too! I always shy away from animal-looking print, like that skirt, but that actually looks really nice.  

Also, you don't have to mix and match print from head to toe like the pictures I posted -- this toning down a big print is a basic concept that I use.  If I have a big floral cardigan, I tone it down by wearing a solid shirt underneath. or vice versa.  

go-go

« Reply #681 on: March 22, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Quote from: LadyLionness link=topic=174246.msg3804 823#msg3804823 date=1332440107
Precisely why this thread was created... so our fashionable PH friends can help us...

well I ain't no fashionable person, but I like high fashion (more than I let on hahahha) - just can't afford it yet. Just sticking to dept stores and mall stores for now.

And so far, I'm the only one here.. no one else is contributing.  :'( 

I've talked and yapped enough for one morning. 

LadyLionness

« Reply #682 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
Yes I like this too! I always shy away from animal-looking print, like that skirt, but that actually looks really nice. 

Also, you don't have to mix and match print from head to toe like the pictures I posted -- this toning down a big print is a basic concept that I use.  If I have a big floral cardigan, I tone it down by wearing a solid shirt underneath. or vice versa. 

That's how I prefer to do my prints too... but they can't be too busy or I look like I just keep on expanding.

Thayeeb, Anemone and I are more than happy to have you join us... no many people are interested.

FYI:  I buy most of my high end from ebay.  I hardly shop the malls anymore. 

go-go

« Reply #683 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
I have an aversion to buying clothes online. I need to try it on. Most of the clothes I buy online, I always end up returning. Or else, I forget about it and it's stuck in the box in the closet somewhere.

LadyLionness

« Reply #684 on: March 22, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
I have an aversion to buying clothes online. I need to try it on. Most of the clothes I buy online, I always end up returning. Or else, I forget about it and it's stuck in the box in the closet somewhere.

I only buy brands that I own already... and only in styles and cuts that I know fits my body.  I have taken a few risks... and discovered some really awesome brands... such as the Nicola Berti Leather jackets... which I love... he will become super high end some day.. but for now, I buy most of his stuff that I see on ebay... lolz...

NkaujNom

« Reply #685 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
I only buy brands that I own already... and only in styles and cuts that I know fits my body.  I have taken a few risks... and discovered some really awesome brands... such as the Nicola Berti Leather jackets... which I love... he will become super high end some day.. but for now, I buy most of his stuff that I see on ebay... lolz...

Not a huge fan of leather, but you talking about it makes me want to wear them in this hot weather! Stop it already! :D

Not great at it, but I'm okay with mixing solids and certain prints only. Some of you ladies are SO lucky to get to wear open-toed pumps. Not me. :'( Here's what I'm wearing today:

LuLus Fuchsia Cropped Jacket

This pretty cobalt ruffle dress I just got in the other day from modcloth.com. Very comfy! I just paired this with a plain pink skinny belt I picked up from the thrift some time ago.

And Fergie stilettos in hot pink!

Anemone, love the nail polish choices. I only go neutral with the nails because I never make enough time to change it with my outfits accordingly. :( Maybe I should start doing it just so I can post up pictures too, lol. :D

LadyLionness

« Reply #686 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Not a huge fan of leather, but you talking about it makes me want to wear them in this hot weather! Stop it already! :D

Lolz... wait till you see all of them...hehehe. ..

Today's outfit:

1.  Wilsom Orange Leather jacket
2.  Black tank top from Sears
3.  Eddie Bauer grey boot cut jeans
4.  Orange/ Yellow/ Grey multi scarf
5.  Black BORN heel sandals

Reload Wife

« Reply #687 on: March 22, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
Constructive criticism is not bad.

I would not mind at all if anyone gave me feedback on how I dressed. In fact, I welcome it! I think we can all learn something from each other. What I think looks awesome on my body might not be true, maybe I just think it looks awesome because I’m so comfortable with it and when we get comfortable, we don’t step outside our comfort-zone.

I rather someone be honest with me than try to sugar coat it and tell me I look “great” all the time without any real feedback.

Heck, I might start posting my daily wears again. I still need to find what works well for me, how to style my clothes, etc…

thajyeeb, I think you're on to something here.  O0

I'm still learning how to style clothes and love feedback too.

go-go

« Reply #688 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »

Not great at it, but I'm okay with mixing solids and certain prints only. Some of you ladies are SO lucky to get to wear open-toed pumps. Not me. :'( Here's what I'm wearing today:

LuLus Fuchsia Cropped Jacket

I like that color and I'm sure it'll look good on you.  But I was looking at the lapels and thinking, how big are they? The points seems too long (more than half way across the front of the shoulder) and too big for my small shoulders.   

go-go

« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm still learning how to style clothes and love feedback too.

We're on the same boat! Please join and contribute.

Advertisements