Advertisement

Author Topic: recommendation for test server  (Read 1394 times)

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
recommendation for test server
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
hi, our company want to get a test server so we can implement and run test on products that we work on.  we mainly do web design, cms implementation and customization, and other web stuff.   we also mainly work on php for now.
you guys got any ideas?  i'm not really a hardware or network guy.  my boss said we could purchase space from rackspace or get cloud servers, or whatever there is out there.  but i'm not sure what to recommend.  any inputs would be appreciated from you guys.

Like this post: 0
I made you read this.

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: recommendation for test server
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
I have never dealt with rackspace before so I cannot comment on that provider.

I do however have dealth with ThePlanet and SoftLayer.  I migrated all of my clients from theplanet awhile back when they got bought out by a bigger company because the support just got really bad.  I am now with softlayer and pretty happy with their services and support, which is top notch because the number one thing for me is their support team.  The dedicated servers mainly runs IIS with MSSQL to handle any db needs because most of the dev work are done in .NET.

If you just need a test server, why not bring that in house, this will save you a ton of money as well?  If you have a pretty fast upload speed than that should do it because that should allow any of your client to view the progress.  The test server could run VM to support different environment for different clients during the dev phase.

hopefully this helps.

NytWolf

Re: recommendation for test server
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:59 AM »
hi, our company want to get a test server so we can implement and run test on products that we work on.  we mainly do web design, cms implementation and customization, and other web stuff.   we also mainly work on php for now.
you guys got any ideas?
Here's an idea:  how about mimic the production environment?  Don't know what the production environment will be?  Get something Intel PC-based, 64-bit, build it up to be robust, and throw virtualization on it (so you can virtualize Unix, Linux, Windows, Mac, whatever server OS you need).  If that don't get you promoted, God knows what will.

Advertisements