Advertisement

Author Topic: do you programmers ever get tired...  (Read 2711 times)

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
do you programmers ever get tired...
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:09 PM »
of staring at the computer all day long? 
i have been putting 50 hours a week, staring at the computer and i'm sick of it.  i don't think i could stand this year in and out.
how do you guys maintain it?

Like this post: 0
I made you read this.

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: do you programmers ever get tired...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
I frequent youtube, read the news, watch the market and visit ph most of my days.  I spend about 2 hours of actual programming and the rest research and reading.

swt_passion

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
no. i'm like jetter. i program about 4 hours a day and the other 4, i'm either in meetings or on PH, Facebook, MySpace, MSN, YouTube, Google.

jbutton

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
I can stare at the screen all day - but it all depends on the type of monitor.  ThinkPad has really bad monitor and it would get me tired in 2 hours.  MacBook pro screen on the other hand - I can look at it all day.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
I stare at PH all day.  Does that count?

beester

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
That's one of the reasons why I didn't get into programming. I like to get out there and interact with the staff not sit at my office all day.

Offline darkhelmet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
I frequent youtube, read the news, watch the market and visit ph most of my days.  I spend about 2 hours of actual programming and the rest research and reading.

I have to put in minimum 6 hours of "real work" per day so I can't goof off.  We keep track of every minute because that's how we bill clients.  Wish I could surf the net too but I'm only allocated 2 hours per day for "research".

I made you read this.

jetter

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
man you work too hard, what you need to do is work smarter.  As long as you make progress by killing task or moving towards your goal, there is very little your superior or employer can say about it.  When working for employer who likes to keep track of every minute using some sort of project management software, all you do is kill x amount of task in 2-4 hours, and then split those throughout the day.

Offline darkhelmet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
man you work too hard, what you need to do is work smarter.  As long as you make progress by killing task or moving towards your goal, there is very little your superior or employer can say about it.  When working for employer who likes to keep track of every minute using some sort of project management software, all you do is kill x amount of task in 2-4 hours, and then split those throughout the day.

jetter, we have a little freaking timer widget on our desktop that we are always pushing start/pause.  i know what you mean by being able to finish task earlier so you can sit around.  however, we have estimates that the boss gives us based on what it should take.  and we are expected to finish by that deadline.   some might take more, some take less.. . in the end it's a push.

I made you read this.

jetter

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
wowser and bummer, you got one of those micro management type of boss.  You better be paid a lot or start looking elsewhere because no one is gonna program 8 hours a day every single day.

six

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »

jetter, we have a little freaking timer widget on our desktop that we are always pushing start/pause.  i know what you mean by being able to finish task earlier so you can sit around.  however, we have estimates that the boss gives us based on what it should take.  and we are expected to finish by that deadline.   some might take more, some take less.. . in the end it's a push.

:o  I've heard of that (in concept), but never thought anyone would be crazy enough to implement it.  Crazy! 

jbutton

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
I think it depends on the kind of programming you do.  Some are easy programming and so they are less demanding on your mind.  Other kind of programming that could lead to potential patent requires more serious and demanding problem solving and thus more demanding on your time and mind. 

swt_passion

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »

OMG! My director is looking into investing in those timers! :o  >:(

mouacy

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
I won't be able to spend more than 6 hours programming everyday. If it's a project that is challenging and I am really interest in it, may be I can put about 6 hours of programming. Other than that, I would spend some time researching or reading. When you are at work, even thinking your job counts as work. So a break away from the programming itself is not really a break.

If you are being timed, you probably should start revising your resume and cover letter. Well, unless you have been putting things off til the last minute.

Advertisements