Advertisement

Author Topic: Samsung LCD Television problem...sss.  (Read 1302 times)

kyrie_eleison

Samsung LCD Television problem...sss.
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
Last week had to have been the strangest week for me.  I'm sitting down watching television and for some strange reason...blip!  The picture just *disappears*, but the sound is still working.  *hmm*  That's very odd.  Anyways, it was a complete mystery to me and after 10 minutes of external control trouble-shooting, I went to the world wide web for advice (specifically, Mr. Youtube).  Turns out, there are all nature of possibilities that could have caused the problem.  Check this, check that, make sure the connections are tight, etc. 

Finally, I decide to remove the backside (something like 12 to 13 screws) of the television.  Capacitors are fine, backlight works, connections are fine, sound still works but NO display.  This is getting frustrating.  Finally after about an hour of closer examination, turns out the TV LCD controller (card/board) is *bad*.   *Sigh*.  Frys doesn't have the part, nothing at Radioshack, but available at some local repair stores (through store ordering at some ungodly pricetag).  The only solution? Online ordering.  A week later, it's here.  The television is up and running and I learned two things from this bit of experience I'd like to share with everyone:

1.  LCD televisions are pretty EASY to fix; even easier than the old CRTs. 
2.  Samsung makes very poor quality products.  I doubt any real level of rigorous testing was implimented in its design.  It's amazing, after approximately 3 years, that thing malfunctions just outside the extended warrantee expiration date.  How convenient; perhaps too convenient...I suspect conspiracy. 

My advice?  If you're somewhat tech saavy, enjoy a nice samsung (it ranks right up there with Winblows).  It will definitely challenge you a little if things start to go south.  If you're not tech saavy, I'd steer clear of anything with the Samsung logo.  It will only stress you out. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

six

Re: Samsung LCD Television problem...sss.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
Fixing CRTs???  That's crazy.   :o

kyrie_eleison

Re: Samsung LCD Television problem...sss.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Fixing CRTs???  That's crazy.   :o

Well,
If you ever get the opportunity; take one apart and look inside it.  It's not a pretty sight. 

Advertisements