Advertisement

Author Topic: funeral question....  (Read 2825 times)

shesaid

funeral question....
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
does anyone know why this is done?  I don't recall ever seeing this done before.  I believe this was the morning of the burial when everything was being taken down.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:11:56 PM by shesaid »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yamaha

Re: funeral question....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
it's nyias ev nyias ntawv ntuag or something rau yus niam yus txiv ua yuav koob yuav moov ua zaum kawg and then coj mus hlawv...someth ing like that ..tsis paub tseeb heev thiab..

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »
typical yuav koob hmoov before burning the paper money. one person is chosen to represent the family during the txiv xaiv song about burning paper money. after that they burn the paper. the belief is if any part of the paper remains after the fire, these are 'koob hmoov' left from the spirit. the paper is bagged and given to the family for good luck.

shesaid

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
slude-  You know the rice that is given to the family at the end of the funeral before the burial. I know it’s important to keep that rice and I guess you’re suppose to eventually cook and eat it? The morning of the burial someone had taken my dad’s truck so he told me to put it in my car. I was leaving to change, but my nieces went w/ me so one of them sat in the back and held on it so it wouldn’t spill. On my way back, it was only me and when I turned the corner, the bowl tipped over and most of the rice spilled onto the floor. I remember from my aunt’s funeral a few years back when they gave the rice to my cousins…the elder guys said for my cousins to take the rice and cook it b/c it’s koob hmoov. Anyways, when I got back to the funeral home, I told my dad that the rice spilled and asked if he still need it. He kind of freaked out saying “cov mov ntawd yuav muab mus ua noj hos, ua cas tseem txeej tag lawm thiab”. I told him I’d scoop it back up when we came back from the burial, but when I got back he had taken whatever was left in the bowl (which was not much). It’s been a week and the spilled rice is still on the floor in my car. I don’t know if I should vacuum it or try to save it b/c I won’t be going home until another week. 

Mr.Loj

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
Few years ago I did not know how to burn those paper so I burned it vertical. Everything got burned. The OG told me I was suppose to let it burn and then lay it on to ground to let it stop burning itself. Mine got completely toasted so that mean I got no koob hmoov.

Offline thehotone

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
My aunt was married to a Hmong leej so we did that when she passed. The strange thing was that my cousin's wife didn't have one b/c my cousin had one already but after the burning, she found a piece of the gold paper inside her name tag.  :o  She did treat and love my aunt better then the other nyabs.

Advertisements