Advertisement

Author Topic: hauv qhua tab & faib hauv qhua su ua tsaug  (Read 29399 times)

jetter

hauv qhua tab & faib hauv qhua su ua tsaug
« on: October 21, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
This is coming up and I would like to know what to do and what to say. 

Thanks in advance.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: hauv qhua tab & faib hauv qhua su ua tsaug
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »
here's what I found out and it might help someone down the road who is in the same situation:

Hauv qhua tab
   2 chicken
   2 beer/wine bottle or can
   1 for the 1st phase and 2nd phase
   inside of a hmong basket or kawm
   1 egg or a chicken heart with a spoon or so of rice wrap in paper foil
   1 of those paper origami hmong stuff
   some money for tshav ntuj
   Write their name on the basket

1ST PHASE
1)   Gather out front
2)   Go in with a bunch of people
3)   Someone going to take off the hmong basket at the front door
4)   Head with everyone to the casket
5)   Head out and find your basket
6)   take out the egg or heart and wrap rice paper foil along with the beer and money
7)   go ask Kav Xwm where is Cuab Tsav
1.   Kav xwm! Ua li Cuab Tsav yog tus twg? 
1.   Usually you do not have to ask because he's the only one next to the casket doing stuff
8)   After he (Kav Xwm) tells you who he (Cuab Tsav) is
1.   you head to him and tell him this:
1.   Cuab Tsav! Hais rau koj paub! Qhov no ces yog <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab.  Ua li mas thov koj pab coj mus laig rau nws.
2.   Here's what might happen:
1.   You tell him (Cuab Tsav) that since he's too busy you are not going to give him a drink
2.   The other options ( it never happens when I did it)
9)   Take the beer and goto each male inside the funeral home waiting and say the following
1.   Yuav <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab saib yuad!
2.   They are going to give your beer to someone to hold (your partner)
3.   They are going to thank you
1.   you respond at the same time with the following, take your time it does not matter if they finish early or you finish early.
2.   Txhob ua tsaug mog!  Nej xyom caub tsev ploj tsev tuag tsev puas tsev ntsoog!  Qaug ib teeg, nchuav ib nkog, tus ib saw!  Yam li kuv ua lub neej vij zeej xws luag ces kuv yuav cab yag cab ncos, muab nyiaj txiag qab ntsos, deg caw qas log tuaj pab nej xyom cuab! Cuag li kuv twb ua lub neej tsis xws luag ces! Kuv twb toom tsis taus txheej, toom tsis taus ntsig!  Tuaj pab tsis taus nej xyom cuab nta dab nta qhua!  Twb tuaj tauv tsis tau nej xyom cuab lub kua muag.  Tsis txhob ua tsaug, nkim lo tsaug xwb mog!
10)   After the beer is gone you return to the Kav Xwm and give him the money
1.   First money is for Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj
2.   Second Nyiaj Hauv Qhua; you have to tell him the difference because the records are recorded differently in the books
3.   They will probably thank you again but you can respond using the same response above

2nd Phase
Lunch time or the time when they chop up everyone's donation and give it to everyone to eat
1)   Most of the time; this happens outside
2)   Kav Xwm or their helpers are going to setup a table and call everyone who did a huav qhua that day by name
3)   Once they called your name you step up and they will ask if it's your basket
4)   You answered yes or using the following:
1.   Kav Xwm.  Kuv yog <Fill on your represented name> Kis.  Kuv hais rau neb ob tug Kav Xwm paub tias kuv lub kawm ces yog lub no ntag!  Neb mam li saib xyuas mog!
5)   The Kav Xwm helpers are going to ask if you want to chop up the chicken or what?
6)   You tell them they do the chopping for you and you drink their 2 drinks/shots in front of you since you do not know how to chop
1.   You can answer using the following:
1.   Peb coj tauj cob rau neb lawm ces neb yeej meem xyuas neb xwb mog!
7)   After the chopping, Kav Xwm or his helper but mainly his helper are going to give half of the chicken with the head some raw meat and a drumstick to you to take home and like 2 dollars or something. 
1.   This sometimes will come from the Cuab Tsav when you both exchange in step 8, depending on the situations
8)   They will then give you the other half w/a raw piece of meat and a drumstick to give to the “Cuab Tsav”, there are going to be someone standing in his place along with a 2 cup/shot of your beer (most of the time they have it laying around and you can just grab one) with like 2 dollars.  Most of the time the Kav Xwm helpers will put all this together for you already in a package.
1.   During this time you are going to say
1.   “Cuab Tsav, Txais qhov no saib yuad! Qhov no ces yog <Your represented name> nqaij sus mog!  Kuv muab cob rau koj es koj ho saib xyuas rau mog! Koj ho pab hu xyom cuab tuaj no sus ov mog!”
9)   Now Cuab Tsav is going to say thank you
10)   You respond with the same thing above
11)   You then take your beer and start giving shots away, most people will just drink it without say anything but cause they are just too many thank you if they start.  Some will thank you and if they do, just use the same response above.

Like this post: +1

yuknowthat

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »
i liked to add...
Tus Kis =the representative of that relative

jetter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
thanks for the input yuknowthat.

I will post an update of what actually happen now that the event has pass.

yuknowthat

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »
thanks for the input yuknowthat.

I will post an update of what actually happen now that the event has pass.
kool will look forward to it.

jetter

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
Here is my update, hopefully it helps someone like me down the road.  It's in Hmonglish because I read/write faster in English then Hmong.

HAUV QHUA TAB / HLUB ITEMS
- 2 chicken
- 2 beer/wine bottle or can; go with the cans
--- 1 for the 1st phase tied together with the chicken heart, rice and 2nd phase
- inside of a hmong basket or kawm
- a chicken heart with rice wrap in paper foil
- 1 of those paper origami hmong stuff
- some money for Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj ($10) & Nyiaj Cab Tsem ($10)
- Write their name on the basket and tape it
- Txiv Qeej
- A couple of shot cups; bringing your own makes things easier instead of asking Xyob Cuab for it
- A tree branch (or bamboo tree if you have any) : small branches is cleared from the main branch, leave a small piece of leaves at the tip, then tie your origami hmong paper to the tip with cloth

1ST PHASE – THE EARLY MORNING (MOST OF THE FUNERAL THAT I'VE BEEN TO; THIS HAPPENS ON SATURDAY)
1) Gather out front

2) Go in with a bunch of people; one of the big one who has a Txiv Qeej cause you need one

3) Someone going to take off the Hmong basket at the front door

4) Head with everyone to the casket

5) After reaching the casket; you head out and find your basket

6) Take out the heart and wrap rice paper foil along with the beer and money

7) Go ask Kav Xwm where is Cuab Tsav or just go find him
--- 1. Kav xwm! Ua li Cuab Tsav yog tus twg?

------ 1. Usually you do not have to ask because he's the only one next to the casket doing stuff
8 ) After he (Kav Xwm) tells you who he (Cuab Tsav) is
--- 1. you head to him and tell him this:
------ 1. Cuab Tsav! Hais rau koj paub! Qhov no ces yog <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab. Ua li mas thov koj pab coj mus laig rau nws.
------ 2. Here's what might happen:
--------- 1. You tell him (Cuab Tsav) that since he's too busy you are not going to give him a drink
--------- 2. The other options ( it never happens when I did it) is to pour him a shot once his done his job to thank him

9) Take the beer and go give the following to Kav Xwm first
--- 1. Pour him a shot first
--- 2. Tell him who you are
--- 3. Give him the Two money
------ 1. Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj and Cab Tsem

10) Take the rest of beer and goto each male inside the funeral home waiting and say the following
--- 1. Yuav <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab saib yuad!
--- 2. They are going to give your beer to someone to hold (your partner)
--- 3. They are going to thank you
------ 1. You respond at the same time with the following, take your time it does not matter if they finish early or you finish early.
------ 2. Txhob ua tsaug mog! Nej xyom caub tsev ploj tsev tuag tsev puas tsev ntsoog! Qaug ib teeg, nchuav ib nkog, tus ib saw! Yam li kuv ua lub neej vij zeej xws luag ces kuv yuav cab yag cab ncos, muab nyiaj txiag qab ntsos, deg caw qas log tuaj pab nej xyom cuab! Cuag li kuv twb ua lub neej tsis xws luag ces! Kuv twb toom tsis taus txheej, toom tsis taus ntsig! Tuaj pab tsis taus nej xyom cuab nta dab nta qhua! Twb tuaj tauv tsis tau nej xyom cuab lub kua muag. Tsis txhob ua tsaug, nkim lo tsaug xwb mog!

2ND PHASE – THE THANK YOU DURING LUNCH TIME (MOST OF THE FUNERAL THAT I'VE BEEN TO; THIS HAPPENS ON SATURDAY)
Lunch time or the time when they chop up everyone's donation and give it to everyone to eat

1) Most of the time; this happens outside

2) Kav Xwm or their helpers are going to setup a table and call everyone who did a huav qhua that day by name

3) Once they called your name you step up and they will ask if it's your basket and give you a shot, just drink the shot and confirm that it is your basket

4) You answered yes or using the following:
--- 1. Kav Xwm. Kuv yog <Fill on your represented name> Kis. Kuv hais rau neb ob tug Kav Xwm paub tias kuv lub kawm ces yog lub no ntag! Neb mam li saib xyuas mog!

5) The Kav Xwm helpers are going to ask if you want to chop up the chicken or what? They will give you a shot when asking this.

6) You tell them they do the chopping for you and you drink their 1 drinks/shots in front of you since you do not know how to chop 1. You can answer using the following:
--- 1. Peb coj tauj cob rau neb lawm ces neb yeej meem xyuas neb xwb mog!
--- 2. You can give them a shot for helping you chop the meat but it’s your choice

7) After the chopping, Kav Xwm or his helper but mainly his helper are going to give half of the chicken with the head some raw meat to you to take home and like 2 dollars or something.
--- 1. This sometimes will come from the Cuab Tsav when you both exchange in step 8, depending on the situations
--- 2. Kav Xwm will give each of you a shot, Cuab Tsav and you to exchange

8 ) They will then give you the other half w/a raw piece of meat and a drumstick to give to the “Cuab Tsav”, there are going to be someone standing in his place along with a 1 cup/shot of your beer (most of the time they have it laying around and you can just grab one) with like 2 dollars. Most of the time the Kav Xwm helpers will put all this together for you already in a package.

9) Now Cuab Tsav is going to say thank you, you respond with the same thing above

10) After the thank you, you both take your shot

11) After the thank you Cuab Tsav is going to say something to you, after he finishes saying it, he will hand over his half to you. You the hand over your half to him and say the following:
--- 1. “Cuab Tsav, Txais qhov no saib yuad! Qhov no ces yog <Your represented name> nqaij sus mog! Kuv muab cob rau koj es koj ho saib xyuas rau mog! Koj ho pab hu xyom cuab tuaj no sus ov mog!”

12) Kav Xwm will then give you your second beer and tell you to go give it to everyone. There is a shot with this also.
--- 1. Since it is your beer and you accepted his shot, you either tell him to put it on the table and give it to the Xyom Cuab later OR
--- 2. You drink his shot and just do it.

13) You then take your beer and start giving shots away, most people will just drink it without say anything but cause they are just too many thank you if they start. Some will thank you and if they do, just use the same response above.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:51:14 PM by jetter »

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
jetter, thank you for taking the time to write down your experience. a little teaching with basic steps at a time to ensure that our generation and kids will know of our religion.

thank you for the effort!

may be we can put together a "hmong shaman religion for the dummies".  O0

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
Nice,Jetter. +1.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

hc_andy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Just on this issue...

I'm in a similar situation and have been called to be part of the hauv qhua. I'm just wondering then if it is my responsibility to partake in just phase 1 and then find 'tus kis' to do phase 2? Or do I just prepare everything and have 'tus kis' do both phase 1 and phase 2? I'm not 100% sure where my responsibility lies that's all. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

jetter

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
hc_andy

You could do that.  It just depends on you.  If you are the one doing the Hauv Qhua, I suggest you should ask somebody to help you do this.

hc_andy

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »
Would you mind clarrifying a few points:

I know what Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj is for but what is Nyiaj Cab Tsem - what does "cab tsem" mean?

Aren't you suppose to give money to the person that takes your basket?

jetter

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
Would you mind clarrifying a few points:

I know what Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj is for but what is Nyiaj Cab Tsem - what does "cab tsem" mean?
I do not know what's behind that.  Maybe some of the member could clarify what that is, all I know is that that's part of it.  If you have more money to donate, that's even better, $10 is only what I have been using.

Aren't you suppose to give money to the person that takes your basket?

From my experiences, if they do not take the basket from you, you are the one that they must give money to later on.  So you do not have to worry about giving them anything, they will take your basket and your Hmong origami paper that is tied to a tree/bamboo branch before you enter the funeral home.

hc_andy

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
Thanks Jetta.

I think you've done a great job in outlining the steps that will take place for the relatives that have been called to be the hauv qhua. I'll expand on it when I get a chance and provide some pictures to add further details to the steps outlined already.

yuknowthat

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
ua tsaug ntau jetter koj tau sau cov basic steps coj los rau peb iib cos no kawm

chidorix0x

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
I am not sure where "jetter" neck of the woods is, but where I live and in its traditional Hmong funeral practices, a couple of things are done differently than what he/she had mentioned. I will clarify them below.

Foremost, all the items in the basket are consistent to what is practiced here. However, in a "Hauv Qhua Tab" - small relatives, loosely translated, the "branch" to tie the Hmong oragami - Ntshua Ntawv - and a "Txiv Qeej" is not required or needed. That is reserved and is mainly for the "Hauv Qhua Txooj" - big relatives. I am not saying one cannot have said items, just that it is generally not required nor expected of a "Hauv Qhua Tab". Bare in mind, most if not all "Hauv Qhua Tab", normally just follow behind a "Hauv Qhua Txooj", who have provided a "Txiv Qeej" and always tie their Hmong oragami to a branch - at least that is the tradition - based off of my experiences. (In the old days, I am sure everyone, Tab or Txooj, probably did everything, much like what "jetter" mentioned - mainly because of availability and ease of participants.)

Lastly, per the money, "jetter" only mentioned two, when in fact, there is actually 3-parts. They are: 1) nyiaj tshav ntuj - typically $20-$100, $20 being the min and $100 the max for any/most "Hauv Qhua", Tab or Txooj --- $10 is embarassing, at least in my neck of the woods 2) nyiaj kab tsem, not "Cab", and that is $5 though now its been raised to $10 - and that is the min/max - no exception, again, at least in my neck of the woods. My understanding or what I have been informed about this money, is that it is reimbursement or payment for the food one will be consuming while attending a funeral. Think of it this way, one is helping to pay for the food consumed though not actually paying for it as if you were at a restaurant, which is why it is only $5-$10, the total amount one would pay for a meal normally if priced out. 3) nyiaj tub hu, that is $2 min/max, it is apparently the money to pay they guy/guys who called and informed you about a person's passing and to attend the funeral. In the old days, a messenger actually comes to your home to deliver this info., thus one is required to pay them a small fee. Think of it as travel expense. Yeah, nowadays, most just call you via phone. Even so, if you are called and informed, you are expected to donate this small service fee. Of course, if no one calls then you do not have to donate. This last part is situational and is entirely up to the individual going - his,her discretion. There is no right or wrong here - purely optional - though it is still very much observed in my neck of the woods.

Hope that helps to further clarify/explain things.

Forgot, "jetter" did not mention some josing incense sticks - 3-7 wrapped in the paper money, tied in a bundle - to be included in the basket. That is a standard item among all the others - at least in my neck of the woods.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:31:28 AM by chidorix0x »

Advertisements