Advertisement

Author Topic: hauv qhua tab & faib hauv qhua su ua tsaug  (Read 29401 times)

yuknowthat

Re: hauv qhua tab & faib hauv qhua su ua tsaug
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »
Would you mind clarrifying a few points:

- some money for Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj ($10) & Nyiaj Cab Tsem ($10)

I know what Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj is for but what is Nyiaj Cab Tsem - what does "cab tsem" mean?

3) Someone going to take off the Hmong basket at the front door

Aren't you suppose to give money to the person that takes your basket?

nyiaj kab tsem yog rau tu hu lossis rau lub moos tiaj nrog hlub cov muam phauj,txiv dablaug, lossis cov tseeb ze tuaj nrog hlub

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
jetter/others,

i am will be one soon this sat (to call to "mus hlub or ua hau qhua").  i like what  said here and it helps me alot.  i have a question. what is the difference between hau qhua tab from hauv qhua?  are we supposed to pack rice, chicken heart and spoon along with the two chickens in the basket?  thanks.

If you are content to let me shine
NEVER walk one step behind...

jetter

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
AppleBrook,

They are two types of Hauv Qhua (Txooj & Hlub), both mean the same thing; paying respect to the deceased but have different requirements.  What I mention is for the hauv qhua tab or sometimes refer to it as hauv qhua hlub.  Refer to my 2nd version of the post for the requirements (I have never included a spoon though) and yes you have to pack all of those on your own.  I have not covered the hauv qhua txooj part because that'll take too long and most people end up asking someone who knows a whole lot more for that representation; plus it requires a lot more money.

as chidorix0x posted, it differs from regions to regions but fundamentally, no one will say anything if you did what I did in my post.

Good luck and report back.

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
AppleBrook,

They are two types of Hauv Qhua (Txooj & Hlub), both mean the same thing; paying respect to the deceased but have different requirements.  What I mention is for the hauv qhua tab or sometimes refer to it as hauv qhua hlub.  Refer to my 2nd version of the post for the requirements (I have never included a spoon though) and yes you have to pack all of those on your own.  I have not covered the hauv qhua txooj part because that'll take too long and most people end up asking someone who knows a whole lot more for that representation; plus it requires a lot more money.

as chidorix0x posted, it differs from regions to regions but fundamentally, no one will say anything if you did what I did in my post.

Good luck and report back.

THANKS!  i will need it this saturday.  i am planning to do the whole things (both parts) by myself.  i am at the age i need to learn and know how to do.  again, thx much!

If you are content to let me shine
NEVER walk one step behind...

chidorix0x

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
Applebrook/jetter,

FYI - just to clarify, there is no such thing as "Hauv Qhua Hlub". The only two are "Hauv Qhua Tab" and "Hauv Qhua Txooj". Think of it as "small and big", respectively.

I  believe where most of you are confused or mislead is that when you (anyone) is called upon to do either, the caller typically and normally only says something along this line, " ... hu koj tuaj nrog hlub ...". Thus those not knowing the difference between "Tab" and "Txooj" thinks it is "hauv qhua hlub". Bottom line, both are "qhua hlub". The main difference is which "hlub" are you -- the small or BIG.

Here is how you know which "hauv qhua hlub" you are, or is -- to be. And by default, depending who the "deceased" is, one knows which they are to be -- "Tab" or "Txooj" -- even if not told or said upfront. Most people just know, at least the elders. But if you do not, then ask. Anyway, here is the difference between the two -- "Tab" and "Txooj".

Hauv Qhua Txooj: (are only these) 1) Cuab Tsav 2) Muam Phauj or Txiv Dab Laug 3) Xeev Txwj Laug or Hauv Nom (Those are it, to my knowledge, though I might have missed one, but I doubt it. They are the only ones required to have in addition to all the things you mentioned, a whole pig -- preferrably cooked, boiled traditionally. But "raw" is more and more apparent nowadays. Yeah there are other things needed too, but no need to go there, ie., tus kis zaum "rooj hais xim" etc.. Hauv Qhua Tab does not have this, period.)

Hauv Qhua Tab: (is basically everybody else, the only variable is your relationship to the deceased) Most are: 1) Xov Txiv Dab (sons and daughters-in-law) 2) Tub Ntxhais (sons and daughters) 3) Kwv tij (family members) 4) Neej Tsa (in-laws, THIS IS THE BULK of/for "Hauv Qhua Tab")  *** No I am not going to list or identify each person or relationship. Again, most folks, know exactly where they fit in and their role, and/or what to do.

Ua tsaug.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:29:35 PM by chidorix0x »

luckyvang

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
Just to add to chidorixox:

Huav qhua txooj: Xov txiv dlaab, cua nyaab, cua ntxhais.

yuknowthat

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »
Just to add to chidorixox:

Huav qhua txooj: Xov txiv dlaab, cua nyaab, cua ntxhais.
only yog muaj, tsis muaj los tsis ua cas..

tsuas kom tau peb tug ntawv as requirement xwb los tau

jetter

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
lets not complicate things here and stay on the thread topic.  Doesn't matter who/how you are realted to the decease, you can do hauv qhua tab or also known as hlub if you want to.

chidorix0x

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »
lets not complicate things here and stay on the thread topic.  Doesn't matter who/how you are realted to the decease, you can do hauv qhua tab or also known as hlub if you want to.

That is not true.

Again, do not confuse "hlub" with "hauv qhua". They are in fact not interchangeabl e or synonymous with one another.

"Hlub" is simply anyone who goes and pays their last respects to the deceased. This person does not have to nor are they obligated/required to do anything, except show up, at their discretion. This person does not have to nor are they obligated/required to donate/give anything, except show up. If they choose to do differently, which is the case more times than not, it is ok. The main difference is they are not called directly, or asked to participate, and only came because they either learned or heard about the funeral through social networking - relatives, friends, or in-laws etc.. They were not called upon directly.

"Hauv qhua" - both "Txooj" and "Tab" - are specific individuals called upon directly to perform a specific role or task(s). This is especially true of "Txooj". Both "Txooj" and "Tab" also have to do or are obligated/required to come, show up, and are obligated/required to donate/give something - gifts, meat, and $mulla$.

Again, where I think some of you are confused or interchanging "hlub" and "hauv qhua" is when you/one is called to come, as normally the caller simply says, " ... koj tuaj nrog hlub  ... ", when in fact, what they really meant to say is, " ... koj tuaj ua hauv qhua  ... ". Hmong do not like being blunt or upfront in these matters. They prefer being subtle and humble, which is regarded as being respectful and honorable.

Ua tsaug.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:01:07 PM by chidorix0x »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
So complicated. I'm glad the OGs are still alive. We can really use their expertise and involvement.

here's what I found out and it might help someone down the road who is in the same situation:

Hauv qhua tab
   2 chicken
   2 beer/wine bottle or can
   1 for the 1st phase and 2nd phase
   inside of a hmong basket or kawm
   1 egg or a chicken heart with a spoon or so of rice wrap in paper foil
   1 of those paper origami hmong stuff
   some money for tshav ntuj
   Write their name on the basket

1ST PHASE
1)   Gather out front
2)   Go in with a bunch of people
3)   Someone going to take off the hmong basket at the front door
4)   Head with everyone to the casket
5)   Head out and find your basket
6)   take out the egg or heart and wrap rice paper foil along with the beer and money
7)   go ask Kav Xwm where is Cuab Tsav
1.   Kav xwm! Ua li Cuab Tsav yog tus twg? 
1.   Usually you do not have to ask because he's the only one next to the casket doing stuff
8)   After he (Kav Xwm) tells you who he (Cuab Tsav) is
1.   you head to him and tell him this:
1.   Cuab Tsav! Hais rau koj paub! Qhov no ces yog <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab.  Ua li mas thov koj pab coj mus laig rau nws.
2.   Here's what might happen:
1.   You tell him (Cuab Tsav) that since he's too busy you are not going to give him a drink
2.   The other options ( it never happens when I did it)
9)   Take the beer and goto each male inside the funeral home waiting and say the following
1.   Yuav <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab saib yuad!
2.   They are going to give your beer to someone to hold (your partner)
3.   They are going to thank you
1.   you respond at the same time with the following, take your time it does not matter if they finish early or you finish early.
2.   Txhob ua tsaug mog!  Nej xyom caub tsev ploj tsev tuag tsev puas tsev ntsoog!  Qaug ib teeg, nchuav ib nkog, tus ib saw!  Yam li kuv ua lub neej vij zeej xws luag ces kuv yuav cab yag cab ncos, muab nyiaj txiag qab ntsos, deg caw qas log tuaj pab nej xyom cuab! Cuag li kuv twb ua lub neej tsis xws luag ces! Kuv twb toom tsis taus txheej, toom tsis taus ntsig!  Tuaj pab tsis taus nej xyom cuab nta dab nta qhua!  Twb tuaj tauv tsis tau nej xyom cuab lub kua muag.  Tsis txhob ua tsaug, nkim lo tsaug xwb mog!
10)   After the beer is gone you return to the Kav Xwm and give him the money
1.   First money is for Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj
2.   Second Nyiaj Hauv Qhua; you have to tell him the difference because the records are recorded differently in the books
3.   They will probably thank you again but you can respond using the same response above

2nd Phase
Lunch time or the time when they chop up everyone's donation and give it to everyone to eat
1)   Most of the time; this happens outside
2)   Kav Xwm or their helpers are going to setup a table and call everyone who did a huav qhua that day by name
3)   Once they called your name you step up and they will ask if it's your basket
4)   You answered yes or using the following:
1.   Kav Xwm.  Kuv yog <Fill on your represented name> Kis.  Kuv hais rau neb ob tug Kav Xwm paub tias kuv lub kawm ces yog lub no ntag!  Neb mam li saib xyuas mog!
5)   The Kav Xwm helpers are going to ask if you want to chop up the chicken or what?
6)   You tell them they do the chopping for you and you drink their 2 drinks/shots in front of you since you do not know how to chop
1.   You can answer using the following:
1.   Peb coj tauj cob rau neb lawm ces neb yeej meem xyuas neb xwb mog!
7)   After the chopping, Kav Xwm or his helper but mainly his helper are going to give half of the chicken with the head some raw meat and a drumstick to you to take home and like 2 dollars or something. 
1.   This sometimes will come from the Cuab Tsav when you both exchange in step 8, depending on the situations
8)   They will then give you the other half w/a raw piece of meat and a drumstick to give to the “Cuab Tsav”, there are going to be someone standing in his place along with a 2 cup/shot of your beer (most of the time they have it laying around and you can just grab one) with like 2 dollars.  Most of the time the Kav Xwm helpers will put all this together for you already in a package.
1.   During this time you are going to say
1.   “Cuab Tsav, Txais qhov no saib yuad! Qhov no ces yog <Your represented name> nqaij sus mog!  Kuv muab cob rau koj es koj ho saib xyuas rau mog! Koj ho pab hu xyom cuab tuaj no sus ov mog!”
9)   Now Cuab Tsav is going to say thank you
10)   You respond with the same thing above
11)   You then take your beer and start giving shots away, most people will just drink it without say anything but cause they are just too many thank you if they start.  Some will thank you and if they do, just use the same response above.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

The_Scholar

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
So complicated. I'm glad the OGs are still alive. We can really use their expertise and involvement.

No HEART!!! it's the LIVER!!

Advertisements