Advertisement

Author Topic: Microsoft is a dying consumer brand  (Read 4833 times)

jbutton

Microsoft is a dying consumer brand
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:52:30 AM »
I feel sad for microsoft.  They help build the PC revolution and now they are lagging behind.  They are just playing catch up with companies like Apple and Google. 

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/27/technology/microsoft_pdc/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: Microsoft is a dying consumer brand
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
MS still have plenty of money and patents they can pursue.  I think it's just a matter of which direction to go and if they start changing management to get some new bloods into their company; things might change around again.

just my 2 cents.

N`Chync

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
Yea but the article was about Microsoft outside of PC's. They been really behind in the mobile world. I use to have a windows mobile and liked it. But from 2005 to now Windows Mobile hasn't changed much until the release of it's Windows phone 7 which I hope does good. Windows Vista didn't do good, X-Box 360 is doing good but came out a year ahead if the PS3 and as now is barely outselling the PS3 and they've lost money on the 360, tablets Microsoft needs to get in the game. Microsoft has had some downfalls but now thir pushing and hopefully push well. But as a company that sets their feet on many grounds you can't expect to win them all. Sony makes TVs, Video game systems, cell phones and etc and not all their items are top of the line or sell well *cough*psp*cough* Up until the iPhone, iPods, and iPads Apple was no where near where they are now. Microsoft needs a hot item to get them back in the game.

N`Chync

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/microsoft-announces-a-record-first-quarter-revenue-of-16-20-bil/
Microsoft announces a record first-quarter revenue of $16.20 billion, $5.41 billion in profit

Melony

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Microsoft is still doing great as far as their operating system with Windows 7 being pushed out, but they do lack many other areas. If they don't keep up, they will lose to Apple and Google. When Apple launched their Ipad, Microsoft new they had it coming.

jbutton

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Microsoft is still doing great as far as their operating system with Windows 7 being pushed out, but they do lack many other areas. If they don't keep up, they will lose to Apple and Google. When Apple launched their Ipad, Microsoft new they had it coming.

Every new PC you buy come with Windows 7.  I can't even tell the PC maker I don't want windows 7 on my laptop.  I'm forced to buy Windows 7. 

Melony

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
Every new PC you buy come with Windows 7.  I can't even tell the PC maker I don't want windows 7 on my laptop.  I'm forced to buy Windows 7. 
You have the option to downgrade on your own don't you?

jbutton

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
You have the option to downgrade on your own don't you?

I meant I want a laptop that has no operating system on it.  I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not having to buy the Windows license.

Melony

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
I meant I want a laptop that has no operating system on it.  I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not having to buy the Windows license.
Then you can build your own.

jbutton

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
Then you can build your own.

Why would I want to build one my own?  it costs more.  They are also ugly.

Desktop is fine.  But not laptop.

Melony

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
Why would I want to build one my own?  it costs more.  They are also ugly.

Desktop is fine.  But not laptop.
Ok, so you want a computer with no OS on it, but from the store already made? Very difficult to satisfy.  ;D

jbutton

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
Ok, so you want a computer with no OS on it, but from the store already made? Very difficult to satisfy.  ;D

That's how Microsoft made money.  They are able to force PC makers to bundle their operating system. 

Melony

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
That's how Microsoft made money.  They are able to force PC makers to bundle their operating system. 
What do you mean?

Bob_J.D.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
What do you mean?

What he means is that each PC that rolls off the assembly line has the Windows operating System whether the consumer wants it or not.  If the consumer doesn't want it they will have to manually delete it themselves.  Otherwise, each PC that is sold is another license that MS just made money on.

bob

Melony

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:24 PM »
What he means is that each PC that rolls off the assembly line has the Windows operating System whether the consumer wants it or not.  If the consumer doesn't want it they will have to manually delete it themselves.  Otherwise, each PC that is sold is another license that MS just made money on.

bob
Ok, then why didn't he say that. IT people are so hectic.  ;D

Advertisements