Advertisement

Author Topic: hardware or software??  (Read 2233 times)

celi

hardware or software??
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
when you guys first started your computer majors.. did you guys have a hard time deciding which path to choose?

the networking path or the programming path?

both are equally great path and is a tough one to make.

which path did you chose and why?
was it the $$?
maybe you're better in one field vs. the other?
--what if you're equally good in both fields?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

celi

Re: hardware or software??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
can someone please help put a light for me---i'm tech savvy but not a nerd ;)

jetter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
Here's my 2 cent:

I went with programming because I liked it since high school.  I had my first introduction to programming when I was a freshmen in high school (took different programming class all 4 years) so that plays a big role in which route I wanted to go.  So I went into computer engineering.

I didn't go the networking path because it wasn't a major that the university offered.  It was more of a private college thing; more or less certification.

I'm okay with networking but I excel in programming because I eat, sleep, poop programming.

Hope that helps and celi; you are a big time nerd.

jbutton

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
when you guys first started your computer majors.. did you guys have a hard time deciding which path to choose?

was it the $$?

No such thing as networking path in computer science.  There is only problem solving path.  Most people who graduate with a computer science degree ended writing code.  Some ended up doing IT support (including networking) which you could do with a technical college degree or an MIS degree.  Few ended doing something else.  So, if you just want to do networking, you probably don't need to go into computer science.  A technical college may give you hand on experience.  If you want to write code but don't really care about coding, MIS is probably the major for you.  Computer science emphasis on problem solving and programming is just a skill you acquire as part of it.  I'm not sure about the money.  I used to hear you can make $100,000+ doing networking.  I don't know if it's true.  If it's true, I don't know how that happened.  For a BS in computer science, it may take 10 years of work experience to be making $100,000.  But starting salary is usually from $40,00 to $50,000.   By the way, don't go to a private college.  It's not worth it.

All of my years in computer science, I have yet to learn how to network computers.  Nor how to run a virus scan software.  Some professors in computer science still use type writers to type up their exams.  

jetter

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
jbutton hit some good points there.  CS majors are some of the stupidest techies I know, most don't even know how to run a virus scan because all they do is just program and let the techies setup their systems for them.  In college I only knew a few CS, EE, CE that knew as much as techies knows.

With as BS in CS, you'll start out more than $40-50k depending on where you are located. 

Jbutton, could've taken a class in networking in CS and that class would've taught him networking protocols so that he can program tcp/ip applications.  Which then would've taught him networking.

six

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »

was it the $$?

I think the other two nailed it:

If you can attend college for four years, go to programming.

If you can attend a two year junior college and get your certifications, go to networking.

There's lots of money to be made in both, but only the best will get that money....or once in a while, someone very very lucky will get it.

jbutton

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »
I think you guys hit it pretty well.  My experiences... you can do whatever you want with your degree.  I went from Computer Science degree to landing a job doing testing, writing scripts to test, writing small application to test to doing quality systems/auditing into regulatory compliance into management.  I suppose I could have done the code monkey approach from Software Engineer to Lead Software Engineer to Architect to Project Manager to Manager but I went the other route.  Whatever your route is just make sure you learn the business and make tons of friends along the way.  I cannot emphasize that enough.  It's not what you know, but who you know.

How did I choose my major?  I didn't know what else to major in because I spent my entire life from childhood to teenage years being a big computer nerd and I couldn't see myself studying anything else.  I was tripping over backdoor left and right as a kid and abusing the privileges so bad.  The good old days before network admin knew what true network security is.   :2funny:  My dream job was working for the NSA/DHS in their cyber intelligence team but I was too lazy to get the good grades since I prefer to HOL and play MMORPG, QUAKE in college.  I'm glad I don't MMORPG anymore...it nearly destroy my future.  So all you wannabe programmer, don't MMORPG aka WoW or you'll end up not being a super awesome programmer like me and having to go into management.  :(

Whatever you go into both can make tons of $$.  If you are into fast $$ get your certs early in your career along with your degree.

Good advise.

Video game is so destructive.  A lot of smart kids ended no where because of video games. 

six

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
What is MMORPG?  Meh...you guys are OLD!!!!   j/k j/k   ;D  I know what it is too. 

Peachy Fish

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »

was it the $$?

I agree w/what the other PHers said.

Celi if you can, you should do a 4-yr college and go to technical school, then you can get both programming and networking.

I've met graduated computer science folks that couldn't find a job in the IT/comp field b/c they didn't have the networking aspect, also I've met networking people who were turned down from jobs b/c they didn't have a degree.

Ex. the only thing that interested the bf since HS was computers. He wasn't able to attend college due to family matters, but he went to some technical schools and received certifications . Now computer is his career. The bf have received pretty cool jobs over other people w/CS degrees simply b/c of all those certifications and experience, but he was also turned down from a few jobs, too.

That being said, I honestly think that w/the bf's computer experience and all his technical certifications, had he had the CS degree on top of all that, he would easily make $20,000 or more on top of what he's already making now.  

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:23:46 PM by Peachy Fish »

Peachy Fish

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
Get your hubby to go back to school so he doesn't get passed up for a promotion.

My bf is still supporting my school, so that's why he's not in school yet.  :-[

Peachy Fish

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
I see.  Don't wait too long because promotions goes to younger people mostly.

K. Thanks 8v10un30sun.

the_almighty

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
It's not so much deciding the path.  The path unveils itself for you.  There are many students who think that they can program (wide rage of programming as well e.g. apps vs system).  It's evident in beginning object oriented programming classes, there will be 60+ students.  By the time the semester is over, it's dwindled to 20 or so students.  It's a funneling process.  Those who don't cut it change their majors to MIS or drop out to attend a technical school.

In short, go programming.  You'll find out quickly if you're cut out for it.

I chose my majors because I enjoy deriving elegant solutions from difficult problems.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:27:57 PM by the_almighty »

Advertisements