Advertisement

Author Topic: Austen's Emma Discussions  (Read 30409 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Austen's Emma Discussions
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
Reporter, knuckleheads are distracting and pissing me off so I can't concentrate right now. When is the next discussion due? I feel as if I'm in an english lit class all over again hehe.

We are going to do the next chapter soon. Maybe in two weeks or so. Since we aren't pressured by a semester, we can take our times. But can we all agree on a certain date or time for the next chapter? HisMystery, what are your thoughs? boO? Anyone?

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response. I went and visit family and forgot the book, however I will post my response later tonight, although Reporter you did such a wonderful already so I do not know whether I can add anything new but will do my best.

In terms of a deadline for the next chapter...I am not fuss

Thanks, boO. But my thoughts are just that: my own thoughts. So, you should still come up with yours, too.  I don't think there is much fact in this chapter for us. We can say Emma is 21 and lives with her father. But her feelings, personality, how she gets along with others, etc.--those are really subject to each person's views.

Let's see what HisMystery says, too, and then we'll set up a time for the next chapter. But no rush. Let's get really done with this chapter before we move on to the next.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
Great.

So you think that the fact that she does not have other friends in Highbury is probably because others don't dare to tell her what's what's wrong about her or they just don't dare to be her friend because they think she's all that?

We do not know what Emma does for work at this point, do we? Or does she even work at all, since her father raises her with a silver spoon?

Something you can try to help me understand better. What does the governess do for Emma?

Oh, I agree that her interests in match-making does not necessarily mean she's interested in being matched. Again, that's just my opinion about life. Life does not have to be that way and it isn't that way. Some times some people are just evasive and so if they do something for you they want you to do it back to them. But that does not apply to everyone.

First impression:  Although she posseses good intention Emma is conveyed as  as a self-absorbed,  superficial, spoilt brat who is born into wealth, thus this allows Emma the luxury to focus her attention on idle matters, such as the self-belief that she possesses great skills in match making.

The important people in Emma’s life have allowed her free reign as oppose to providing her with structure and moral guidance. I believe that due to Emma's social status no one dare or had the encourage to tell her "NO". The only exception is  Mr Knightly whom is able to see Emma's flaw and tell her so as he is on equal footing with her.

ReporterI do not believe that Emma is utlizing her matchmaking skills on the pretense of hoping someone would match her with someone. I think she's bored and have nothing better to do as a result meddle into other peoples' business. Luck was on her side when she superficially played matchmaker with Miss Taylor and Mr Weston and now base on the successful union she believed that she is the world's greatest matchmaker, but really she lacks foresight and only sees what she want to see.

p.s- please do not mind the grammatical error as this is a rush job....

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:19:17 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »
I will use a modern scenario to illustrate my point. A celebrity in this day and age is upheld in high esteem and achieves a god-like status. Now if the celebrity surrounds herself/himself with the right kind of people despite what fame entails he/she will still be grounded. On the other hand if the celebrity's staff do not have the celebrity interests at heart and continue to say yes..yes..yes. .yes to his/her every whim than unfortunately the celebrity will develop a superior complex.

The latter example I believe relates to Emma. Due to Emma’s status the people around Emma is either beneath her social position, thus their opinion is irrelevant or like Miss Taylor whom is hired to be Emma’s governor bur instead befriend Emma. This impacts Emma’s emotional development because instead of Miss Taylor fulfilling her role as the governor by setting rules and limitation so Emma may develop self-awareness and humility. Miss Taylor in a way encourages Emma’s wayward ways.

To be continue...

Good analogy.

I find it surprising that there were few people who could match Emma's wits or intelligence in her village. Frankly, I don't believe that is the case at all. So, let's say, if Ms. Taylor was never hired as Emma's governess, do you think Ms. Taylor would have been Emma's friend? In this chapter, we don't know much about Ms. Taylor's backgrounds--education, experience, etc. Except we know that she's highly esteemed by the Woodhouses, or else she wouldn't have been hired. And Emma looking up to her as a superior. But are you saying that Ms. Taylor and Emma aren't very different? haha...That Ms. Taylor may be Emma herself in personality, attitudes, etc.?

"...

andromeda

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »
Didn't know you all had a book club going on.   :D

O0 though. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
Andro,

Join us! :D

"...

andromeda

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
Andro,

Join us! :D

You guys are reading Emma?  It's probably too late right now.  I'll join in for the next book.   8)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
You guys are reading Emma?  It's probably too late right now.  I'll join in for the next book.   8)

We are still discussing chapter 1 only. None of us has moved on to chapter 2 yet. We are still doing to say more about chapter 1 before we set a time to complete and discuss chapter 2. Chapter 1 is only about 8 pages long.

"...

HisMystery

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
Reporter, I'm good with whatever date you set for this book discussion!  I wouldn't mind a little room for flexibility in getting the reading done.  It's been somewhat hectic at my workplace so I've been coming home exhausted.  Most of my leisure reading is done on Friday nights and during the weekends. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »
All right, since we are still discussing chapter 1, let's say we get chapter 2 done around mid-December?  Let's set it for Thursday, December 15, 2010. Anyone can post anything on chapter 2 any time that day. Between now and that time, feel free to say more about chapter 1--anything at all. Add any of our feelings about life to that chapter, too. That's fine. It's a free discussion.

Just chapter 2, nothing more. We can refer back to chapter 1 if needed. But let's not say anything about chapter 3 and other chapters yet at that time.

"...

HisMystery

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
Sounds good, Reporter.  For some reason, I can't get into the story.  I find Emma annoying so I'm hoping that Jane develops this character more in the later chapters.  She's 21 and acts like she's 16.  Kind of like some 21 year olds nowadays.  Then again, I suppose we've all had our immature moments too.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Sounds good, Reporter.  For some reason, I can't get into the story.  I find Emma annoying so I'm hoping that Jane develops this character more in the later chapters.  She's 21 and acts like she's 16.  Kind of like some 21 year olds nowadays.  Then again, I suppose we've all had our immature moments too.

What happens when you are brought up with little to vex you for some 21 years of your life? You wouldn't have been taught any serious hardships or lessons in life, correct? And if you have had a little too much your own ways, you'd think the world has to go your way all the way?

Yes, Emma is annoying. Let's see what more Ms. Austen says about her in later chapters. I'm especially interested in what dangers lie ahead and what Emma may learn eventually. Jane Austen says these dangers are not perceived at this point in her life or in this chapter.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Hismystery

That's my thoughts excatly...

How can a person who possesses intelligence and wit be so wrong?

Reporter  you've asked if Ms. Taylor was never hired as Emma's governess, do you think Ms. Taylor would have been Emma's friend?

I.M.O- I do not believe that Emma is the type of person who will go beneath her station to befriend someone without having something to gain.

I think that the world is more than what one sees around one's house. Emma Woodhouse has been brought up by Ms. Taylor and her father just around her house--most of what I see discussed have been within Highbury--the town-like village that surrounds Hartfield (where Emma's house is).  Right?

We don't know much about Emma's educational backgrounds. We only know she has been brought up with a silver spoon because Mr. Woodhouse's family is top of the class in Highbury.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
Hismystery

That's my thoughts excatly...

How can a person who possesses intelligence and wit be so wrong?

Reporter  you've asked if Ms. Taylor was never hired as Emma's governess, do you think Ms. Taylor would have been Emma's friend?

I.M.O- I do not believe that Emma is the type of person who will go beneath her station to befriend someone without having something to gain.

I agree. Emma also does not seem to be the type who will initiate any friendship with anyone below her.  She treats her father like a father figure, but she still does not seem to admire his intelligence, does she?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:42:29 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
p.s- that deadline sounds good to me...

Great!

"...

Advertisements