Advertisement

Author Topic: Have you ever had a girlfriend that her parents gave her away to someone else?  (Read 18784 times)

HmongKnight

I don't know about you guys but this hmong culture about giving away their daughter to someone close or related to the family has got to go. Even now days many parents still believe that as long as their daughter is not a married woman she can be givin to anyone even though she has a boyfriend that she has dated for quite some times. If I have a girlfriend who I was dating for a long time and about to get marry to her and her parents end up given her away to one of their close relatives, I will start shooting people with my deer hunting rifle with scope.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
I have not had any. But I understand what you are saying.  I can't believe it's still happening.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

ThePhatSista

LOL @ at the start shooting people with the hunting rifle. The closer ain't always the better either. If my parents made me marry one of our relatives son who I may not like or be attracted to, I'm running off with a pub thawj or nyab laj kiag and forget about Hmong men.  ;D But there are some parents who only want their children to marry families who came from the same region as them back in Laos. Thus that is a big reason why many parents, especially moms advise their daughters to ask who his parents are and where his family originated from in Laos when they are dating a guy, to avoid any family feuding/conflicts. My parents are both white speaking dialects and they are Hmoob Xieng/Longcheng. That was a random but true piece of info about me again.

Lady_Fallin

Yes, actually... Though I think the girl is stupid.  O_o

And I keep thinking to myself, "Isn't this America?"

DeceiversChick

Nope haven't heard anything since the early 90's.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
This actually happened to me.
We started Jr high at the same time 7th grade, so I finally asked her out around 8th grade. But we were friends since 7th grade but never took it to the next level until 8th grade.
I was dating my GF, then one day she stop coming to school. So I was like W T Hell. And when I call her house  her  mom would give me some BS, like oh she's not here. And I'll ask where did she go, then her mom would say she at her cousin's house. But been young you don't know WTF's going on. So I don't how, I got the info. Someone knew something but didn't tell me. So I found out that my GF was force to marry this guy.... OH yes I remember cause a couple of week later she came back to school, but she would hide from me and not talk to me. I was like what going on? And when I try to talk to her she would turn her head the other way. But I was too stupid I didn't understand what she was going through. And since she was marry it's the Hmoob BS that she is no longer allowed to talk to any guys. other than her hubby.

That day I saw her new hubby picking her up after school I was so piss I was going to kick his Asian a$$, but all my friends held me back,and it was right outside the school bus were everyone was getting off school. Even the principle was out there too.  After that day I never saw my GF. I think her hubby transfer her to a new school. Cause I never got to say good-by to her. Gosh this was about 15+yrs ago. I was around 13-15 yrs old when that happened.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:56:13 AM by saki saki »

Jubi

This actually happened to me.
We started Jr high at the same time 7th grade, so I finally asked her out around 8th grade. But we were friends since 7th grade but never took it to the next level until 8th grade.
I was dating my GF, then one day she stop coming to school. So I was like W T Hell. And when I call her house  her  mom would give me some BS, like oh she's not here. And I'll ask where did she go, then her mom would say she at her cousin's house. But been young you don't know WTF's going on. So I don't how, I got the info. Someone knew something but didn't tell me. So I found out that my GF was force to marry this guy.... OH yes I remember cause a couple of week later she came back to school, but she would hide from me and not talk to me. I was like what going on? And when I try to talk to her she would turn her head the other way. But I was too stupid I didn't understand what she was going through. And since she was marry it's the Hmoob BS that she is no longer allowed to talk to any guys. other than her hubby.

That day I saw her new hubby picking her up after school I was so piss I was going to kick his Asian a$$, but all my friends held me back,and it was right outside the school bus were everyone was getting off school. Even the principle was out there too.  After that day I never saw my GF. I think her hubby transfer her to a new school. Cause I never got to say good-by to her. Gosh this was about 15+yrs ago. I was around 13-15 yrs old when that happened.

Young puppy love huh.

Most if not all guys will have gone through something like this where their gf is fixed up to marry someone else, or she runs off and marries someone else while seeing him too. Even applies to mature, of age people not just teenagers. That's the way it goes in a lot of cases, they'll talk and see more than one person, guys when being bachelors, will more than likely have more than one gf. Girls will not always have more than one bf, but she may still talk and communicate with more than one guy while steadily dating just one guy.  

If she marries the man her parents like and chose for her, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have a backbone, she just respects her parents wishes. "Neeg hmloog lus." All traditional girls were conditioned to be "txim txiaj" by respecting mom and dad and whatever wrongdoing you make will fall back and reflect back on them.

Even females go through this too, where the guy married someone else and she was just the back-up gf. If a guy I was seeing married another girl, I wouldn't throw a fit. Sure I would be heartbroken and even felt used and will wish him to rot in hell, but I would not implore him to not marry her or fight to keep him. Only naive, neeg ruam tsis paub tu siab would want to steal their lover back when he married another. You'll get the title homewrecker and that's bad. And if he married someone else, I tell myself she was obviously better than me so that was why he chose her instead.

People just need to let it go. You can feel bad if it makes you feel better, but as time and years pass by, they will just be a part of your distant memory.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:43:49 AM by Jubi »

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
Jubi,
You are correct about all the stuff you said. Sorry to say but I can't read Hmong. LOL. I'm so lame.
Even though I was young, I didn't know that it was the culture way. So I acted out of rage, but all my friends held me back. That was the 1st time I've encountered such things. Yeah I know now, how ever it's still stupid though I mean, just because the parents wants you to marry this or that person. Doesn't mean that you'll be happy cause you were sorta force into it.

What I trying to say here is, when I was dating my GF. Her mom talked to me about marrying their daughter cause she was getting out of that age range. Well I told her mom that, when the time comes. Cause I'm not going to just marry her because she getting out of that age. What if we got marry and things don't work out. Than ppl will said that she's been marry once. So if you respect  my saying, then you should let us be the way we are, and that I'm not those kind of guys who'll just use your daughter. Just let you guys know that I dated my GF for 5yrs before I married her. LOL. Yeah I have my up's and down just like everyone else LOL.

Qau

This happened more to the 80's generation more than any era, that i witnessed. Long distant relationships was awesome. The thing that sucks the most was when you could fall in love(or crush) with someone your own age, 14, and the next thing you know she is married. Other race have crush on each other at 14-16, we Hmong get married, have kids, and go on welfare.The husband is 3-4 years older than her and jobless. (Man the transferring of welfare money from house to house has got to be embarrassing.)  Usually when you see a new girl at Merced High School she just got married and came from Fresno. The couple lives with the parents in a rundown apartment on M Street. lol The late 90's arrived and they are divorced with a few kids. Ten years later when you are out of college and with a job she is divorced with kids. I really like to know how some of these women feel. I wonder if there are many "would have" "should have"?

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
This happened more to the 80's generation more than any era, that i witnessed. Long distant relationships was awesome. The thing that sucks the most was when you could fall in love(or crush) with someone your own age, 14, and the next thing you know she is married. Other race have crush on each other at 14-16, we Hmong get married, have kids, and go on welfare.The husband is 3-4 years older than her and jobless. (Man the transferring of welfare money from house to house has got to be embarrassing.)  Usually when you see a new girl at Merced High School she just got married and came from Fresno. The couple lives with the parents in a rundown apartment on M Street. lol The late 90's arrived and they are divorced with a few kids. Ten years later when you are out of college and with a job she is divorced with kids. I really like to know how some of these women feel. I wonder if there are many "would have" "should have"?

Some wise men once told me, divorce starts to happen after 2-3kids. A lot of different reasons, but now a days you see a lot of these single moms out at the club.
However with the cost of living going up, i don't mind... just give me $300 worth of food stamps. Dam it, the greenie bills are burning a hole in my pants.. i rather use food stamps for food. Lol. All i ask is 300 lol.

yuknowthat

yes and at the time i was so chim chim heart! to die..but then now DAMN! i'm lucky i wasn't married to her!..thanks to her parents for not letting me marry her..

foromosa

When I was a little kid in Sunday school, I remember my Sunday school teacher planning prom with a girl. (She was going to wear a peach colored prom dress.) I don't recall if they were officially dating at the time. Anyways, they became a couple.

A few months later, she was walking down the aisle, getting married to another man from out of state. I remember how heart-broken my Sunday school teacher was.

On the day of the wedding, the girl was crying as her dad walked her down the aisle. My Sunday school teacher, well yeah. I've never seen such a man torn up before. (Yes, he showed up to the wedding.)  :'(

She could have ran away, but this was the 80's. I think she's still with the guy. As for my teacher, it was years before he got married. It was a big deal (at the time) because he married a divorcee with a couple of (young) kids.

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Young puppy love huh.

Most if not all guys will have gone through something like this where their gf is fixed up to marry someone else, or she runs off and marries someone else while seeing him too. Even applies to mature, of age people not just teenagers. That's the way it goes in a lot of cases, they'll talk and see more than one person, guys when being bachelors, will more than likely have more than one gf. Girls will not always have more than one bf, but she may still talk and communicate with more than one guy while steadily dating just one guy. 

If she marries the man her parents like and chose for her, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have a backbone, she just respects her parents wishes. "Neeg hmloog lus." All traditional girls were conditioned to be "txim txiaj" by respecting mom and dad and whatever wrongdoing you make will fall back and reflect back on them.

Even females go through this too, where the guy married someone else and she was just the back-up gf. If a guy I was seeing married another girl, I wouldn't throw a fit. Sure I would be heartbroken and even felt used and will wish him to rot in hell, but I would not implore him to not marry her or fight to keep him. Only naive, neeg ruam tsis paub tu siab would want to steal their lover back when he married another. You'll get the title homewrecker and that's bad. And if he married someone else, I tell myself she was obviously better than me so that was why he chose her instead.

People just need to let it go. You can feel bad if it makes you feel better, but as time and years pass by, they will just be a part of your distant memory.

O0 O0 O0

When I was a little kid in Sunday school, I remember my Sunday school teacher planning prom with a girl. (She was going to wear a peach colored prom dress.) I don't recall if they were officially dating at the time. Anyways, they became a couple.

A few months later, she was walking down the aisle, getting married to another man from out of state. I remember how heart-broken my Sunday school teacher was.

On the day of the wedding, the girl was crying as her dad walked her down the aisle. My Sunday school teacher, well yeah. I've never seen such a man torn up before. (Yes, he showed up to the wedding.)  :'(

She could have ran away, but this was the 80's. I think she's still with the guy. As for my teacher, it was years before he got married. It was a big deal (at the time) because he married a divorcee with a couple of (young) kids.

awwwww...how sad... :'( :'( :'(

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

dogtags3154

Yeah, when I was younger and in me Sophomore year of high school, I was dating this beautiful Yang girl. You know that high school love, where I would carry her books while walking her to class. She would buy me a cookie, only to drop it out the bag when she handed it to me. Anyway, we dated for a year and a half. But because I came from a family that didn't have much wealth, and her mom's brother was wealthy, she had to marry her cousin. At the time, it broke my heart. But now that I am older, and see that she has grown to love him and they have a family together, when I see her, I do feel happy for her.

MilesDaddy

I don't know about you guys but this hmong culture about giving away their daughter to someone close or related to the family has got to go. Even now days many parents still believe that as long as their daughter is not a married woman she can be givin to anyone even though she has a boyfriend that she has dated for quite some times. If I have a girlfriend who I was dating for a long time and about to get marry to her and her parents end up given her away to one of their close relatives, I will start shooting people with my deer hunting rifle with scope.
And if your sister goes along with it... She's stupider then she looks.....

Advertisements