Advertisement

Author Topic: HMONG FOLKLORE...  (Read 24540 times)

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: HMONG FOLKLORE...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

-after giving birth, women can't eat nothing but chicken and can't enter other houses for a month

Don't forget..
- You can't oil change for like 3 months with the mommy.. After the baby is born.
- Can't drink the baby's milk from the mothers'. tooties. LOL

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 01:23:22 AM »
Never put a basket over your head..
My mom always told me that if you do.. you will go dumb.
But the truth was, about that one OG who can turn him self into a tiger.
What's his name.. i forgot.

allstar

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
Dont cut your hair at night because it'll bring you bad luck.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
i pointed at the moon...no cuts on my ear
You have to point at it wen it's in a shape of the banana. That's were the sharp edge lies.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »
Dont cut your hair at night because it'll bring you bad luck.
If cutting hair is bad.. Then what about cutting/trimming off your mu-stash/ bear at nite.. Is there any truth to timing that hair?

f.u.too

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:02:40 PM by f.u.too »

pajnpis

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
wife can't enter father in law's room------only a certain clan or last name.

*pointing at moon- if point, spit on your hand and rub it all over your face saying: poop chicken,poop pig, poop cow, poop buffalo, poop duck, poop bird...any animal poop.

- I have a neighbor that showed me her ear because she pointed at the moon. You know how girls have ear pierce. On one of her ear, from the pierce down it was cut.

*cutting hair...I haven't heard about cutting hair but it's bad luck to keep the hair that you cut.

* if pregnant stay away from water...pool, lake, ocean.

- my uncle's wife told me that a cousin kept having miscarriages. She and her husband ask my grandpa (shaman) to see what's wrong. My grandpa did a ritual and told them to stay away from the ocean for a month. Her husband is a fishaholic so they only stay away for a week once she's prego. After that, she had a miscarriage. Again, my grandpa did a ritual and told them to stay away from the ocean for a month. After that, they stay away for a month and have a healthy baby. 

-There was this story where a family of 4 drown at the Mississippi river in winona, wi (somewhere there). From the story, the newly wed were told to stay away from water since the wife is prego. They didn't listen, didn't wear any life jacket and drown. There was a search going on but couldn't find them. They have a shaman checked and he/she said something about the daughter will show up at a certain area, the mom will show up in 3 days....don't remember much but the son is too deep down that they won't be able to find the body. So after searching, 3 bodies showed up and the son's body didn't. Many say that it's those huge big fish that live deep down probably ate it.  Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but their relative said that they just hu plig and was told not to go near water.

*Moving bed while prego

-I think this only happen to certain people since I did have to move my bed when I moved out but was told to not say a thing about it.

- My uncle's wife did move their bed and she got sick. My grandpa had to do something to the bed (I think tied a string or something) for her to get better.

*always wash your hand when you come home from the funeral
*If you fall at the funeral, you have to do a hu plig.... i have a friend that said her little brother fell and her mom has to hit him with a shoe a few time
*If you dream about tiger that means you're gonna get sick...like a cold or flu...same goes with a dragon
   -happens to me when i ask my mother in law what those dream meant...just the other week I dreamt about tigers and yep, got sick 2 days after

*After giving birth women can't enter other houses for a month
     -depends on how your family is. My side of the family, can't enter anyone's house, not even the in laws. My husband side, I could enter the family's house whether it's his brother or his parent or my fil brothers. Just as long as it's not outside the family.
     -About the chicken diet, my side is strict on it. My husband side, my mil said for only 3 weeks then you eat a little of chips or drink juice (just not cold). It doesn't have to be chicken, can be boil eggs. If you get tired of those, boiled pork has to be no fat in it or potatoes. My grandma even tell me that I could eat boil eggs. I'm guess the chicken diet is also because back then they were poor so chicken is the cheapest/easiest things to afford/get. My grandma said that back then they were so poor all she ate was boiled egg (if lucky) otherwise it's just potatoes.

Lyn Song

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
-don't throw bones in the water when eating at lake, river, forest

-don't throw rocks in water when fishing

-hunting partners should never plan to meet somewhere while hunting

-never say you're going fishing cause the fish will hear and won't bite

-don't shine flashlight up into the sky while lighting storm

-don't eat at forest/ lake without offering to spirits

-don't go swimming at lakes while pregnant

-don't eat garlic/ onion while sick

-yang people can't eat hearts of animals

-vue girls are bad luck. If married to a vue girl, you either have a bad life or die young

-can't whistle at night

-can't fall at funeral

-no pepper served during wedding or it'll cause a bad marriage life

-wife can't enter father in law's room

-can't sit on bucket or kids will be born without an ****

-can't kill a cat

-dreaming of snakes mean you gonna get someone, or get yourself pregnant

-dreaming of yourself dieing means your sickness will be cured

-keep pinching your kid's nasal bridge so it'll grow bigger

-after giving birth, women can't eat nothing but chicken and can't enter other houses for a month

-if a new born cry nonstops or won't grow, then they don't like their name

How bout this one? I don't know if it's true or not but mama told me about it once. If you go to the woods or live near wooden areas (hav zoom) and you keep yelling at your love ones "niag tsov tom aw" and that person will later be attack by a tiger or a catlike creature. That really scared me and now I never want to say that phrase ever again.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:04:07 AM by Lyn Song »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
Don't throw stones at night. They'll hit the demon's head and it will come and terrorize little boys.

WHAT ARE SOME?  I REMEMBERED...

NOT TO POINT AT THE MOON OR THE LADY ON THE MOON WILL COME AND CUT/SLICE A PIECE OF YOUR EAR.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
That one applies only to a certain Vang clan, not to all Hmong.

How bout this one? I don't know if it's true or not but mama told me about it once. If you go to the woods or live near wooden areas (hav zoom) and you keep yelling at your love ones "niag tsov tom aw" and that person will later be attack by a tiger or a catlike creature. That really scared me and now I never want to say that phrase ever again.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Lyn Song

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
That one applies only to a certain Vang clan, not to all Hmong.

What kind of certain Vang clan bro and why is that? I like to know cause my fiancee is a Vang too.

Offline Griffith

• Adult Discussion
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
Pure-Noob: Some of the things you've mentioned are true, but I think some of them are just preferences among certain clans. Other clans believe that other clans have genetic sickness, men dying young from a certain clan, and so much more. I don't think it's just Vue women that has bad luck as I've seen it with Her's, Thao's, Lee's, Moua's and the rest of the clans. Some believes are just randomly created by parents to scare of their children and it gets passed on.
it is true. Some clans genes are not clean. And mens will die at a young age. it's genetic. But will skip generations. Sometimes its in a roll. And all the young mens dies at a certain age. That is why when ones to marry. The OGvs talk about which family branch each family came from. The unclean or clean branch.
A lot of kids nowadays has no idea what the OGs are talking about.

I was never a believer about the unclean clans and thought of it was old wives tales. I've only heard stories about it. Until it happened to a buddy of a buddy.
Not gonna go into details. But it it is very true. Genetic sickness runs within a certain clans. And they carrys that gene.
After that I was a believer. Sad to see that happens to such a young kid.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:26:19 AM by Griffith »

Advertisements