Advertisement

Author Topic: your thoughts/suggestions: radeon or Geforce?  (Read 2443 times)

celi

your thoughts/suggestions: radeon or Geforce?
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
i'm looking to purchase a graphic card... i know i could use google.. but i find it that you guys here are much more relaible..

my two options are:
 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 1GB
or
 GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB

If price wasn't the issue..which is better-er one (performance-wise)...
please educate me.. thanks. =)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:06:23 AM by celi »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

celi

Re: your thoughts:
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
am using a GA-X58A-UD9 motherboard..

if you guys have a better suggestion for a graphic card..that'll also be great too!

thx again.

Eyedumgai

Re: your thoughts/suggestions: radeon or Geforce?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
Wow. Quite the system there. I always can rely on Nvidia, and that's why I usually build with them. A few months back (Pre-Fermi), I would've been able to easily recommend Radeons for their efficiency and price. But now that things are looking even again, I still think Nvidia is the still the stand bearer.

Can't go wrong with either one, especially with your board. But I just think Nvidia is more reliable overall (driver support, game support, and so on).

celi

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
thx..eyedumgai ..

i was leaning towards nvidia as well..but would like second opinions before i purchase it.

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
I've always been an Nividia user.. Top Nvidia cards now are only 15-20% (if not, less. need to verify this) faster than the top ATi cards. A few FPS difference isn't gonna kill your game. Besides, as long as you are getting 45FPS in all your games at your desire settings, you're good. Who really needs 16x AA, Anisotropic filtering. I can't tell the difference between 4x AA and 8x AA. The human eye can't see pass 45FPS anyway..  Haven't checked on the ATi prices, but i am sure they are also 15-20% cheaper than Nvidia cards too.

Either one would be fine....... I use to pay top $$$ for top cards just to play all my games at 60 FPS..  :idiot2: Doesn't make a difference at 45 FPS..  Besides, the prices on electronic stufff usually drops quite a bit when a new one comes out. I've been following the graphic card companies for a long time and it seems a new card or 2 comes out every 6 months..

my 8800GT i pay almost $400 for a few years ago is only like $100 now... could be less too.

don't think that getting the top Nvidia card will get you 45-60FPS in games like crysis and other graphic demanding games with max graphics settings...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:55:46 PM by Soulless »

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
Forgot to mention that, if you're still running a slower CPU, getting even the top graphic cards won't make that much of a difference. Your CPU will be the bottleneck.  what CPU are you running anyway?  It's like putting a turbo into a car without the supporting MODS..

what PSU (power supply are you using?)
windows/OS version?
RAM?

etc.... list specs

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:06:58 PM by Soulless »

Eyedumgai

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
Forgot to mention that, if you're still running a dinosaur CPU, getting even the top graphic cards won't make that much of a difference. Your CPU will be the bottleneck.  what CPU are you running anyway?  It's like putting a turbo into a car without the supporting MODS..

what PSU (power supply are you using?)
windows/OS version?
RAM?

etc.... list specs

She said in her original post that she has a UD9(!) Gigabyte X58. In other words, Gigabyte's top of the line $600 motherboard. Being such, I could only imagine her CPU being at least an i7 930. Maybe she even has the 980x.

I don't think price is a factor for her, that's why she asked for which top of the line card to get! LOL
I still say go with Nvidia, being that the GTX 590 is the fastest single card on the market at the moment. :D

Man, I wish I had the kind of money to build that kind of system!

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
She said in her original post that she has a UD9(!) Gigabyte X58. In other words, Gigabyte's top of the line $600 motherboard. Being such, I could only imagine her CPU being at least an i7 930. Maybe she even has the 980x.

I don't think price is a factor for her, that's why she asked for which top of the line card to get! LOL
I still say go with Nvidia, being that the GTX 590 is the fastest single card on the market at the moment. :D

Man, I wish I had the kind of money to build that kind of system!

i missed that part.... i'm curious to know the whole system specs...

yeah, i wish i had the $$$ to spend on a computer system...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:18:40 PM by Soulless »

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128446&Tpk=GA-X58A-UD9

yeah, that is one expensive mobo.. holy cow.. i can build be a nice budget system with that kind of $$$ already.. No offense, but sometimes i wonder why some people would build such an expensive system... for what reasons? if they got $$$, more power to them...

I've come across many people who would have top notch computers, but uses only like 25% of its power 95% of the time.. It's basically like me not using all of my R1's power.. (Gaining more guts to fully use that R1..  :2funny: ) Of course, the R1 is a lot more dangerous, so not using all of its power is understandable ..

anyways.. props to the OP.. damn.. must be one helluva system. I wanna see some benchies

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:24:14 PM by Soulless »

paulrok

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
ATI FTW! O0

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
Who cares about a powerful graphics card like a Radeon when it sounds like a little turbine engine.  I hate RADEONS with a passion because of that.  BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Go nvidia because it's quieter and packs similar power but slightly more expensive.  You're wife will hate you if it's in the next bdr.

maybe it's just me, but any hardcore gamer or modder would change out the stock cooler to a nice, quiet and more effective one. I have been doing it since my first Voodoo 5500. (if i remember the number correctly) Same goes for my CPU cooler fan too.

the OP better be a mad overclocker.. :) hahaha..

Advertisements