Advertisement

Author Topic: "green lady"..niam tais ntsuab  (Read 22570 times)

EmperessGNL

"green lady"..niam tais ntsuab
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
my brothers are getting married.

who can be one?
what are her duties?
why is there a need for her?
how much does she get paid?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

xtcxyooj

Re: "green lady"..niam tais ntsuab
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:42:22 AM »
he can choose who he wants to be best man and green lady, or they'll just choose for him: you or anyone one else if they have no one.

help cook clean, watch/follow your sister in-law during the wedding

to keep an eye on her in case she takes off or something(meets an ex bf at the side of the house/alley?)

depends on what they want to give you.

i was the best man for my friends wedding and i got about 100 bucks and so did the green lady which was a friend of ours too. then for my cousins' i got 20 bucks. it just depends on how much they want to give i guess. i didn't care much for it, tho it was nice.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:43:57 AM by xtcxyooj »

LonelyFatGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Pretty much the same as the person above me said. The green ladies are usually family members as the sisters or girl cousins of the groom's side. Her main duty is to follow the Sil everywhere.

--

Ahh. I was a green lady before. I've got asked to do it once but on my second time I said yes. Actually, I was kind of forced!  ;D I get a call from my Dad and he says for me to get my butt up because I got chosen to do it. Which was really unexpected because I thought one of the groom's sisters was going to be the green lady! So yeah my duty was just to follow her everywhere she went! Oh my dearest! It was a pain! I think my Sil did it on purpose and tried to test me because she was literally speed walking everywhere! If she got told to help clean the table, I'd help her. If she got told to do dishes, I'd help her. If she just sat around and gossip with the girls, I'd listen and gossip too! And etc, you get the idea.
My job is to make sure she doesn't take off with another man. As mentioned above. Though we did took a walk around the block with the girls to go smoke and hurriedly came back.
I got paid shiity. Literally. I got $40. Though I wasn't surprise. Its whatever. I didn't care for the money, I just cared for the once in a lifetime experience! I don't know if I'll ever get the offer to do it again!

Though I'm just warning you. Make sure you choose a green lady who can drink. And when it comes down to the wedding a lot of people will be going at her. Well you should know that. Make sure she drinks enough to show respect but don't overdo it and become wasted. Otherwise she'll become a joke/weakling to the family and stories will go around.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
 :)

DeceiversChick

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
I've been the green lady twice and you're only chosen by the mej koob folks and the money varies from $20-$100. Don't depend on the money to make you rich or that you always want to be a green lady to earn extra cash.

It's actually a tedious job cause you follow the nyab around all day at her house during the ceremony. You have to make sure she's not talking or thinking of running away with an ex bf. Basically you are watching out for her for your brother's sake.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
So what will happen if the bride runs away w/another guy or talks to another guy?

DeceiversChick

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
So what will happen if the bride runs away w/another guy or talks to another guy?
You're suppose to snitch to the groom or mej koob.

It's ok if she talks to other guys but listen carefully of what they're chatting about. If they're chatting about her running away you better interfere and drag her hand. lol

DivineTreasure

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
Why do you guys keep calling it "niam tais ntsuab" or "green lady"?  The real term for it in Hmong is "niam txais ntsuab".  :)

DeceiversChick

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »
Why do you guys keep calling it "niam tais ntsuab" or "green lady"?  The real term for it in Hmong is "niam txais ntsuab".  :)

Growing up i've only heard it as niam tais ntsuab.

EmperessGNL

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
the rules for drinking?

only GL drink or can she get the giver to drink too?

ThePhatSista

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

That is correct.

shesaid

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
got stuck doing it twice.... first time was in town and luckily one of my dab laug was a mej koob on the bride's side so he gave me a heads up of when the drinks were coming. my second time was for a wedding in MN, crazy people were giving us homemade Hmong rice wine...Yuck!

rule of thumb, never say "tas"' ;D

EmperessGNL

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
so we all thought my sister was suppose to be the green lady for wedding part 1 today. but at the very last minute the mej koob choose someone else, distant cousin(someone with the same last name). my nyab said something about how the groom's sisters can't be the green lady, but only as last resort. true?

DivineTreasure

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
so we all thought my sister was suppose to be the green lady for wedding part 1 today. but at the very last minute the mej koob choose someone else, distant cousin(someone with the same last name). my nyab said something about how the groom's sisters can't be the green lady, but only as last resort. true?
True! Reason for that is to prevent conflict and confrontation between the two down the line.

EmperessGNL

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:26 PM »
True! Reason for that is to prevent conflict and confrontation between the two down the line.

thanks. would have saved a lot had we known that. which two? brother and sister or sister and nyab?

Advertisements