Advertisement

Author Topic: "green lady"..niam tais ntsuab  (Read 22502 times)

DivineTreasure

Re: "green lady"..niam tais ntsuab
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
thanks. would have saved a lot had we known that. which two? brother and sister or sister and nyab?

Conflicts between sister and nyab.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

EmperessGNL

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »
so chances are my sister wont me the green lady for my other brother's wedding next month either. since it's still a month away, we don't know the details of it yet.

DivineTreasure

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
Most likely not, unless they can't find anyone else and she's the only choice they got.  :)

shesaid

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
True! Reason for that is to prevent conflict and confrontation between the two down the line.

now that makes sense..... my dad has this thing about two people from the same family not being in the wedding, but I never understood why  (i.e. sister of the groom would be last resort as niam tais ntsuab).  For one of my nephew's wedding, they had asked me to be the niam tais ntsuab, but they couldn't find a mej koob so my dad said that since he volunteered to be the mej koob, I couldn't be the niam tais ntsuab anymore.

Dolly

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
my brothers are getting married.

who can be one?
what are her duties?
why is there a need for her?
how much does she get paid?

The sister's or cousins can be the green lady.

Her duties are to follow the bride everywhere she goes except the bathroom. lol
why? some tend to run back because of what her family says to her during the wedding. it happens.

Why is there a need for a green lady? So she don't meet or cheat on her husband before going to be a wifey.

does a green lady get paid? some do, some don't. depends.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
Why do you guys keep calling it "niam tais ntsuab" or "green lady"?  The real term for it in Hmong is "niam txais ntsuab".  :)

i thought it's "ntxhais txais ntsuab" and such a tongue twister that it became "niam tais ntsuab"

niam tais is an elderly aunt, someone of your parents generation.
niam is mother or elderly woman figure.

the proper term is "ntxhais"

just sharing, correct me if i'm wrong.

DivineTreasure

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
i thought it's "ntxhais txais ntsuab" and such a tongue twister that it became "niam tais ntsuab"

niam tais is an elderly aunt, someone of your parents generation.
niam is mother or elderly woman figure.

the proper term is "ntxhais"

just sharing, correct me if i'm wrong.

slude, you are correct.  The correct term to use is "ntxhais txais ntsuab." :)

Cyn

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
the rules for drinking?

only GL drink or can she get the giver to drink too?

When I was 9 years old, I was selected to be my new aunt's green lady. Day 1 went well enough. Day 2, was a different story. After we were dressed and getting ready to depart, the elders started their lectures. Each person that came in the room to lecture her also brought in a plate with shot glasses filled to the brink with beer. My aunt had to drink one and I was suppose to drink the other. I requested soda instead but they kept teasing me that if I didn't drink the beer, they wouldn't let my aunt go home with us. So I started bawling. LOL...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:48:07 PM by Cyn »

passingby#2

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
When I was 9 years old, I was selected to be my new aunt's green lady. Day 1 went well enough. Day 2, was a different story. After we were dressed and getting ready to depart, the elders started their lectures. Each person that came in the room to lecture her also brought in a plate with shot glasses filled to the brink with beer. My aunt had to drink one and I was suppose to drink the other. I requested soda instead but they kept teasing me that if I didn't drink the beer, they wouldn't let my aunt go home with us. So I started bawling. LOL...
  Niam txais ntsuab at 9?  Isn't that a bit too young...?  Was there really no older gals? ???

NceegVaj

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

"GREEN LADY" - :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

passingby#2

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
  "GREEN LADY" - :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
  It's actually a "niam TXAIS ntsuab..."  too many people mistake it with "niam TAIS ntsuab."

NceegVaj

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
  It's actually a "niam TXAIS ntsuab..."  too many people mistake it with "niam TAIS ntsuab."

What does that mean? Niam txias ntsuab, ntxhais txais ntsuab, niam tais ntsuab?????

I'm lost.  Do they paint their face green?

passingby#2

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
What does that mean? Niam txias ntsuab, ntxhais txais ntsuab, niam tais ntsuab?????

I'm lost.  Do they paint their face green?
 Not sure what a "niam tais ntsuab" is....?

But a "niam txais ntsuab, " (now, I may be completely wrong or right on target) is a maiden who brings/welcomes the nkauj ntsuab or nkauj nyab into the family, hence the word "txais".  Nkauj ntsuab must be a term used to describe a young beautiful girl.  :2funny:

Basically her role is to guard the bride so she doesn't try to have a last rendevouz with her lovers  ;D

NceegVaj

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Do divorced chicks need green lady??

Probably needs a "niam txais nrab" ?  :o   Fukkk no.   So AIS-MIS-NYUS...if someone wants to marry a "nkauj nrab" - they should NOT do the elope approach unless HE wants to pay $5,000 + $800 then a "niam txais nrab" maybe necessary.  Otherwise, HE suppose to ask another man (his clan) to come to your parent's CLAN.  This approach is the proper approach for a "poj nrab" or if you prefer "poj nrauj" then so be it.

Oh...BTW, once you are a "poj nrauj" woman you are no longer a "chick".

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:25:01 AM by NceegVaj »

yaweh

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »
FIRST OF ALL, TSI YOG HU UA "NIAM TAIS NTSUAB"  COV HU LI NO YOG TSI PAUB XWB.

THE TRUE NAME IS "NIAM TXAIS NTSUAB."

1.  NIAM TXAIS NTSUAB, TXIV TXAIS NTSUAB
2.  NIAM XA, TXIV XA

#2 IS THE GIVER COUPLE...#1 IS THE ACCEPTOR COUPLE

IN THE CASE OF TSHOOB TOG QW...MUAJ TUS HU UA "NIAM TXAIS NTSUAB" XWB...THIS IS USUALLY THE SISTER--TSI MUAJ TXIV TXAIS NTSUAB.  HOWEVER, IN THIS CASE, THE NAME IS CHANGED TO "NIAM UA LUAG" LER

YAWEH

Advertisements