Advertisement

Author Topic: This is the year! v.firstride  (Read 6571 times)

Finest

This is the year! v.firstride
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
I've always said I want to ride, but something always come up to sidetrack me from getting a bike.  (tuition, bills, etc)  But this is the year!  I've made up my mind, it's now or never!   :D

So from my quick research, I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

04-06 CBR600RR

or

04-06 ZX6R (636)

The main features I was looking for are obviously fuel-injection and a comfortable-for-a-sportbike ride (and of course the looks!).  The other two 600 choices (GSXR or R6) I've read had a more race-inspired riding position, which would make it less comfortable on long hauls?  Personal opinions, I guess.  Anyone with experience with anything in this 600 class would really help me here.  I've sat on a few bikes at the local dealer, but I have no riding experience so I don't know what I should be looking for?  I'll be taking the MSF course this coming Spring, and hopefully riding by April (it's my birthday present from the wife, lol!).  

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Finest

Re: This is the year! v.firstride
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
I'm not going to even consider modding it until I'm more confident in my riding skills, just going to be a commuter bike for awhile. 

As for fit, I'm about 5'8", and from just sitting on a few bikes in the showroom I can get both feet down comfortably.  I tried to get into a "riding" position, and by far the 600RR was more comfortable.  Didn't feel like I was resting on my palms like on the GSXR.  I don't know, I'll have to sit on a few more to get it right.  Of course riding them is another story!  I guess I'm looking for something that's comfortable enough for an hour long ride without needing back surgery afterwards.  LOL! 

And yes, tires will be one of the top priorities when I'm looking to purchase a bike.   O0

yuknowthat

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
i say comfortably sitting for style and stuff...the kawasaki zx6r and suzuki gixxer..

Finest

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
The GSXR felt a little cramped when I was sitting on it, the pegs felt a little too high for me.  I'll have to go sit on a few more when it comes time, still looking around. 

kidmoua

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:52 AM »
the 03-06 CBR's seat are hard and will get to you on a long haul.. riding position is a little more comfy than the Zuk and Ninja

the 05-06 Ninja comes with factory slipper clutch so it'll be a little easer to ride.. way more power than the CBR
I've rode all 4 Jap 600. My first bike was a brand new 05 CBR600RR.. I'll do it all over again.

Finest

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
Gear -> Bike -> License.   O0

the 03-06 CBR's seat are hard and will get to you on a long haul.. riding position is a little more comfy than the Zuk and Ninja

the 05-06 Ninja comes with factory slipper clutch so it'll be a little easer to ride.. way more power than the CBR
I've rode all 4 Jap 600. My first bike was a brand new 05 CBR600RR.. I'll do it all over again.

Never really considered how the seat would feel, but what if I got a replacement seat from Corbin or something?  I'm more concerned about the riding position.  In your opinion, which is more forgiving on the streets?  Right now, it's a toss up between the 600RR and ZX6R.  Is a slipper clutch that much better to ride with?  That alone might sway my decision into the ZX6R then.   O0

Finest

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
The earliest opening for the MSF course is mid-April.  Hopefully the snow is all melted by then.   :2funny:

But I'm going to look at gear this weekend first, looking to pick up at least a helmet and jacket first.  Then gloves and boots when it comes closer to class time.  Right now is a good time for bike deals, so I don't know if I want to get the bike first or wait until after the class?  I'm assuming prices will jump back up come Spring time when the weather gets better and everyone is looking to ride again.   :-\

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »
Finest, you're going to love riding! 

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

2Wicked

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »

cbr 600 white is  :-* :-*

go cruise at the lake!  a must!!!!

Finest

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
nothings more comfy than a yamaha..haha forreals..

but id take the 636 over the 600rr

my buddies selling an 04 r1 for 4k limited edition kind...

Got pics of that R1?   :o

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
the R6 and R1's seat is so comfortable. I rode it for several hours without rest and my butt cheeks were still feeling great.  Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of those bikes. Personal preference.  I love the looks of the 636's.

Hey, we can go cruising together now... have you checked on craigslist?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:00:08 PM by Toua »

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Finest

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
I'm not ballin enough for a Ducati....yet.   :P 

Toua, the 636 is growing on me.  My neighbor has a red one and it's pretty sweet.  I'll definitely hit you guys up for some cruising around town.   O0

kidmoua

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »
Gear -> Bike -> License.   O0

Never really considered how the seat would feel, but what if I got a replacement seat from Corbin or something?  I'm more concerned about the riding position.  In your opinion, which is more forgiving on the streets?  Right now, it's a toss up between the 600RR and ZX6R.  Is a slipper clutch that much better to ride with?  That alone might sway my decision into the ZX6R then.   O0

the after market seat from Corbin will help with long rides but wont be as good for canyon carving
the CBR will be more forgiving on the street since the riding positon is not as agressive as the 636
you can do without the slipper clutch if you blip the throtle when you down shift
try to stay away from the liter bike as your first bike, I've seen many noobs that started off on a liter bike and ended up hurting and even killing themself

kidmoua

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:41 AM »
oh, and if you do get a chance, hit up the track.. you'll love it plus you'll learn a ton more than just crusing the streets...  O0

Finest

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »
It's funny, cuz the wife actually wants me to get the Busa at first!  We were at the local bike shop and I sat on a few, then I spotted the Busa.  She said it fits me because I'm a big guy.   ;D

But then I told her, "You do realize this is probably one of the fastest bikes out there right?"  But I'm sticking to a 600 as a starter, need to develop my riding skills first. 

How hard is it to get track ready?  Can you just take your street bike and get on and go?  Or what other safety things do you need to do to pass tech and stuff? 

Advertisements