Advertisement

Author Topic: This is the year! v.firstride  (Read 6618 times)

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: This is the year! v.firstride
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Y'all should hit up Road America in June for the AMA races if you guys are in MilTown.  For a small fee, you could go on the track, led by a pro racer and gently take up the course.   O0

i was looking at that, but not sure if I will have time to prepare my bike for it.. new tires... chains (needs replacing), sprockets, suspension tuning........ .gears and more gears...  Watched a couple videos and seems hella fun even for the slower class.. :) me still a noob.. still learning..

It's funny, cuz the wife actually wants me to get the Busa at first!  We were at the local bike shop and I sat on a few, then I spotted the Busa.  She said it fits me because I'm a big guy.   ;D

But then I told her, "You do realize this is probably one of the fastest bikes out there right?"  But I'm sticking to a 600 as a starter, need to develop my riding skills first.  

How hard is it to get track ready?  Can you just take your street bike and get on and go?  Or what other safety things do you need to do to pass tech and stuff?  

Please stay away from Busa's. That thing looks more like a high speed cruiser to me. The 636 definitely looks awesome.. If i ever wanna pick up a 600CC class bike, the 636 is definitely my first choice.. The 636 is already plenty fast. North kettle moraine state forest is a nice place to go cruising.. Can't wait till spring.  :-\ :-[

Like this post: 0
Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Adverstisement

kidmoua

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:47 AM »
It's funny, cuz the wife actually wants me to get the Busa at first!  But then I told her, "You do realize this is probably one of the fastest bikes out there right?"  But I'm sticking to a 600 as a starter, need to develop my riding skills first. 
How hard is it to get track ready?  Can you just take your street bike and get on and go?  Or what other safety things do you need to do to pass tech and stuff? 
just like the other guy said, stay away from the HellaBusa..lol

any bike that is safe to operate on the street is good enough for the track.. just a few prep here and there along with your 1 or 2 piece suit, racing/motorcycle boot, long gloves, full face helmet and a clean head and you'll be ready to tear it up.. I used to ride all the time on the street. Day in and day out. Weekend in and weekend out until I got hooked on crack, I meant track. Never looked back on street riding. Maybe once a month that I'll ride the street. And that's just to work and back.

Finest

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »
Whoa,  that year R1 looks wicked!  I like that it has the undertail exhaust too.  Any mods done to it?  Mileage?  If he's willing to wait until this Spring, I'll be interested in picking it up!   O0

Finest

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
check this out...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/2209066082.html

Damn, that's a good deal right there too!  Will you get mad if I bought it out from underneath ya?  LOL!   :2funny:

SeattleLite

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
You really going to get a 600 SS as your first bike?  Let me know how it works out.  I'm looking for a VFR myself.

Finest

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
I think a 600 class is about right. 

I don't think I'll like the 250 since I'm about 250lbs myself.  LOL!  Probably more of a danger to myself and traffic since the 30hp motor won't be able to get out of it's own way when I need it to.   :2funny:

kidmoua

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
a 600 should still be plenty for a bigger rider..

kidmoua

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »
here's a pair of my buddies R1s from back in the days

back in 06

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:06 AM »
I've always said I want to ride, but something always come up to sidetrack me from getting a bike.  (tuition, bills, etc)  But this is the year!  I've made up my mind, it's now or never!   :D

So from my quick research, I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

04-06 CBR600RR

or

04-06 ZX6R (636)

The main features I was looking for are obviously fuel-injection and a comfortable-for-a-sportbike ride (and of course the looks!).  

If you want comfort with sporty looks for a first bike, a budget mid-size sportbike could fit the bill especially for a bigger guy. Remember this is your first/starter bike, not your last. Once you've built enough skills on it and maybe even drop it a few times!?, then upgrade to a more powerful and expensive bike.

Here are a couple of examples of mid-size budget sportbikes:

SV650:

Ninja 650R:

These bikes can do the 1/4 in mid 11 to high 11's so it's a little slower than the bikes you mentioned above but it cost less to buy (about $2-3 grand for 04-06 year range), cost less to insure, have better MPG and it offers a more natural standard sitting position so comfort is better on average.

And if it turns out that the standard sitting position works best for you and you want to replicate that on a RR liter bike (next bike?), it can be done too. For example, this zx10R with a LSL bar (a Z1000 bar would work for the ZX10 too):

Anyways, good to hear, good luck with the process and keep us posted.  O0

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:28:56 AM by theking »

yuknowthat

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »
Toua...tires, chain, sprockets, labor, general tuning...expec t a bill for about at least $1,000 plus.  Save up now and don't skimp on important stuff.  Especially on a rocket.
lol yep! leaving one little small thing out can cause a lot of problems..

Offline Pocket Aces

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »
Remember this is your first/starter bike, not your last. Once you've built enough skills on it and maybe even drop it a few times!?, then upgrade to a more powerful and expensive bike.

when the king speaks....list en OP!

Lurk moar at ....
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/

I like my women the same way I like milk white and fat free

Advertisements