Advertisement

Author Topic: What's for Dinner Food Collection  (Read 83026 times)

LadyLuck

Re: my collection of food pictures
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
yummmmmmmmm I love naam khao!!!!!!!! share the recipe please?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Smiley

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Your chow mein looks so yummy!  Share recipe?

KXng

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
Looks good.

go-go

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
yummmmmmmmm I love naam khao!!!!!!!! share the recipe please?

here is a thread already have recipes and other user's notes on it:  http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,184192.0.html

go-go

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
Your chow mein looks so yummy!  Share recipe?
well, it's pretty simple, and no two chow mein dishes are ever the same (at least, not when I make it becuase I use whatever stuff I can find) but I'll try to make a list below

chow mein noodles (see my notes below)
your choice of protein (chicken thighs in that pic)
your choice of vegetables (pick something that your family likes to eat)
minced garlic
soy sauce or oyster sauce (I mainly use oyster sauce)
water
salt, black pepper
vegetable oil

I use a wok on a propane burner to cook so keep that in mind when reading the directions below.  If you’re cooking on a stovetop, then of course, you wouldn'’t have to work as fast because the heat is not as intense as a propane burner.

Basically, you just stir fry.  Heat up some vegetable oil until it’s hot and smokey. Add minced garlic. Add your protein.  Add in salt, black pepper  and whatever spices you have.  Stir quickly around the wok a few times.  Add in vegetables. Add in a half cup of water, depending on how much vegetables you have.  You would stir until almost all of the water have evaporated, and this should take a few minutes.  You just want to quickly blanch the vegetables until they get soft so don’t add in too much water if you don’t have a lot of vegetables.  On a wok, you would typically have a very intense high heat that the water quickly evaporates away.   Add your soy sauce or oyster sauce.  Stir quickly. Add in the noodles.  Stir.  And turn off the burner.

Note:  I’ve used many kinds of noodles before…spaghetti, ramen, shanghai, Kung Fu, Ichiban, whatever you like.  Even pancrit.  If you use ramen, kung fu or Ichiban noodles, you can save the liquid and add that to the stir-fry, thus, you won’t need to use any soy sauce or oyster sauce.  I do this all the time and it’s so kid-friendly not to mention easy.

go-go

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »

Smiley

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »
well, it's pretty simple, and no two chow mein dishes are ever the same (at least, not when I make it becuase I use whatever stuff I can find) but I'll try to make a list below

chow mein noodles (see my notes below)
your choice of protein (chicken thighs in that pic)
your choice of vegetables (pick something that your family likes to eat)
minced garlic
soy sauce or oyster sauce (I mainly use oyster sauce)
water
salt, black pepper
vegetable oil

I use a wok on a propane burner to cook so keep that in mind when reading the directions below.  If you’re cooking on a stovetop, then of course, you wouldn'’t have to work as fast because the heat is not as intense as a propane burner.

Basically, you just stir fry.  Heat up some vegetable oil until it’s hot and smokey. Add minced garlic. Add your protein.  Add in salt, black pepper  and whatever spices you have.  Stir quickly around the wok a few times.  Add in vegetables. Add in a half cup of water, depending on how much vegetables you have.  You would stir until almost all of the water have evaporated, and this should take a few minutes.  You just want to quickly blanch the vegetables until they get soft so don’t add in too much water if you don’t have a lot of vegetables.  On a wok, you would typically have a very intense high heat that the water quickly evaporates away.   Add your soy sauce or oyster sauce.  Stir quickly. Add in the noodles.  Stir.  And turn off the burner.

Note:  I’ve used many kinds of noodles before…spaghetti, ramen, shanghai, Kung Fu, Ichiban, whatever you like.  Even pancrit.  If you use ramen, kung fu or Ichiban noodles, you can save the liquid and add that to the stir-fry, thus, you won’t need to use any soy sauce or oyster sauce.  I do this all the time and it’s so kid-friendly not to mention easy.

Sounds so easy but whenever I make it the noodles never turn out right.  Will give it a try this weekend.

AOZ

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
all r so finger licking good!!

ToxicCum

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
does anyone know of a great steak recipe!! like the first pic above?

Hi Linda,

sorry i did not see this question earlier.

please read along with me here, as I try to describe to you what a good steak is.

beef steaks are my best eats! right up there with good hamburgers and pho!

a good steak can be a very touchy subject and if you ask 5 different people, u will get 5 diff answers...same with if u ask 20 people, u will get 20 diff answers also.

ok...first off...u have to pick a part of the cow that you like most...most people like the rib eye, as it has some fat, giving the meat that fatty taste. some people will argue that the best beef comes from the tenderloin area...some will say the best is the sirloin...some just like the hard and tough brisket.

beef cuts on a cow:
the Chuck is near the shoulders
the brisket cut is in the front, upper front leg, thighs
shanks are the meat around the leg bones
the Rib cut, is top middle of the cows back
the sirloins are more back, but still the top of the cows back
the round cuts, are near the tail
and the flank cuts are the belly

I like the rib and sirloins.

a good piece of steak should be sweet. what is a good recipe?? honestly! simple. salt! and maybe pepper. THATS IT! you should not need to add anything else. yes, really!. the taste of a good beef steak comes from the taste of the beef itself. its sweet and moist, and still has the beef taste.

steak sauce like A-1 is a no-no  :nono: .... u will take away the sweetness of the beef if u add steak sauce....

why is there even steak sauce?? franchise food restaurants uses steak sauce to disguise the fact that they are serving 'mature' beef. mature meaning, the cow is old and is near its end of time. usually old cows are cheaper and the meat is tougher and harder and it is not as sweet in flavor.

the reason why people eat beef rare or medium rare? simply put, to keep the flavor inside the meat. if a steak is well done, it becomes hard and the beef flavor is lost, the juices has been cooked away or gone. if you cook beef steak rare or medium rare, the juices are still flowing and it will recirculate back into the meat. that is why chefs let steak rest for 5 to 10 mins after cooking it, to allow juice flow. why do some people eat well done steak?? i dont know...kinda defeats the purpose, if u ask me!...but one exception, i can understand those who have health issues, that may chose a well done steak...

a popular steak method, is aging...yes, some chefs will age their beef. in a well designed aging room, with good air flow and free of bacteria, they hang the steaks and let it age. some chefs let their steaks age for days, some for weeks...some even for months....thes e steaks are truly delicious! aging of steaks breaks down the tissues and some of the weight is lost during this process, in return the flavor intensifies.
there are two main methods, dry aging and wet/vacuum aging...but thats a different thread....

japan has some of the best beef cows in the world. its is called Kobe Beef. the cattle (cow) is treated like a lady going in for a makeover at a beauty salon. the cows get a smooth petting and rub down daily. like us getting an expensive massage. their hair is combed and styled. the cows eat the finest quality feed.

america has their angus beef, which is nothing in comparison to japans kobe beef.

so here is the universal recipe, that even professional chefs use:
1 piece of beef steak, any size
add salt
add black pepper (optional)
just! on one side, a squeeze of lemon or lime, if no lemon or lime use vinegar (optional)

flavor the meat, let it sit and marinate for at least 15mins. cook the meat at least 5 mins on each side, this depends on how big and heavy your piece is. and how rare you want your meat. cook longer for well done.

and there u have it!....basically u just need salt. the real flavor is the beef itself....

shhhh! dont let the secret out!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:47:25 AM by ToxicCum »

go-go

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Sounds so easy but whenever I make it the noodles never turn out right.  Will give it a try this weekend.
Are the noodles coming out too soggy for you?  First, you should cook the noodles where they are just starting to soften, but still feels a little undercooked -- reason is that the noodles will cook some more when you add it to the stir fry, so at that time, your pan (or wok) will be very hot and will cook it just enough to be al dente, as they say.  Then strain it really good before you cook -- unless you're already prepared and you're going to start the stir fry process immediately.  If you use spaghetti noodles, then you might want to rinse a little bit so that the noodles won't stick while it sits.  When you're ready to stir fry, just sprinkle a little bit of water, or use the water that the spaghetti was cooked in, and toss it around to loosen them up.  If you're using ramen noodles, then strain it and save the juice to add in later when you're cooking.  I usually add about a half of cup and then eyeball it from there to see if I need more.  If you're using regular chow mein noodles, then you should not have any problem either.  Follow the same steps for the spaghetti noodles.  If you're cooking on a stovetop, then just add little bit of water (or juice) at a time and stir to loosen up the noodles.  Don't pour a whole cup in because the heat will not be high enough to evaporate it quickly, thus you're just gonna end up with soggy noodles.  Also, cook your protein first, then the vegetables and add in the sauce first before you add in the noodles.  You want to add in the noodles at the very last minute, so basically, you're just going to toss it with the stir fry.  Because I use a wok, I have ample space to toss and stir.  I’m not sure what kind of pan you use, but for me, this is the easiest step and the quickest.  Ever since I got my woks and propane burner (and stand) I hardly ever stir fry in the kitchen anymore.  

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:20:26 AM by go-go »

go-go

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
all r so finger licking good!!
  Thanks

Toxicum, that was a very good lesson in steaks, but you forgot one important step:  once the steak has been cooked, let it sit -- undisturbed -- for at least 5 minutes so that the meat can reabsorb its juices back in. 

Also for you folks who are interested in what you're actually buying at the supermarkets:  http://www.primesteakhouses.com/how-usda-grades-beef.html

As for me, I can't afford kobe beef......so I'll go with angus.   ;D

go-go

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
Haven't added to this thread in a long time because our camera kept on breaking (on our 4th camera now)... so I was finally able to take a picture of my dinner from last night.

steamed trout with ginger, green onions and light soy sauce

recipe:
(sorry, I don’t have exact measurements…I only eyeballed the ingredients to make sure the whole fish is lightly covered)
whole fish (I cooked 2 trouts)
salt
cornstarch
vegetable/olive oil
lime juice
ginger, small julienned
green onions

1. Clean fish, gutted, and scored (as you can see, I forgot to scored mine! LOL)
2. Rub fish with lime juice
3. Rub fish with cornstarch (use a light touch)
4. Rub with vegetable/olive oil
5. Rub with salt (do this with a light touch too)
6. Stuff the fish with ginger (I use roughly about a cup)
7. Sprinkle ginger and green onions lightly over the top of the fish
8. Steam for 15 minutes (I steamed 2 of them for 15 minutes)

Sauce:
All of these are rough estimate (use more or less for the number of fish you have )
1 cup Light soy sauce (I recommend Pearl River Bridge Brand, Light Soy Sauce)
¼ teaspoon Cornstarch mixed with hot water
½ cup Hot water

1. Heat up the soy sauce in a small pot, bring to a boil
2. Add the cornstarch mix, whisk well, let it come up to a boil
3. Add about ½ cup of water, let it come to a boil again and then lower heat to simmer while you take out the fish from the steamer

Finish the plate with the steamed fish, garnish with more fresh ginger and green onions (the more the better!), and pour the sauce all over the fish.  You can add in fried shallots too, but I only used the bottled ones, not freshly prepared ones.  

I eat mine with chili pepper on the side.  

go-go

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
here is a thread already have recipes and other user's notes on it:  http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,184192.0.html

PS: I made this about a month ago, and I've no idea how it tasted because I don't eat the pork thingy, so I did not tried it.  Even made the crispy rice patties...man, that took some time!!  Everyone said it was good, but I don't know for sure ---they could just be buttering me up!  :D

go-go

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Made the last of the trout last night... thai style in the essence of "Steamed fish with plum sauce", but minus the plums and a few of the other ingredients.    Here are the youtube videos that I watched and then modified to what I can do in my own kitchen. :D

Here is my dinner

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:52:41 AM »
hahhaa

I want to get married into your family!

I love eating.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements