Advertisement

Author Topic: What's for Dinner Food Collection  (Read 84085 times)

LadyLionness

Re: What's for Dinner Food Collection
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
I should ask...which one do you want it for?? maybe that will narrow it down, and if it's one of mine, I'll be glad to post the recipe.

OK... will do....

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
There for starters... and they are yours, Thajyeeb...
seafood gumbo

beef laab

simple shrimp stirfry

tom yum gai with shrimp

eggplant, tomatoes, & bacon salad

shrimp laab

spicy beef salad

LadyLionness

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
And these...
yellow curry with chicken and thai eggplant

dungeness crab

another spicy beef salad variation

spicy pork salad - similar to naam khao - this is the only dish that I didn't make...since the one that I did was already eaten up! so I'm using someone else's pic.

Lan Xang

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Those are yummies!

LadyLionness

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
OK.... I don't cook a lot... lolz... but I do make a mean steak...

Any beef... sirlion, t-bone... or even those cheaper slab of beef will work too... works with vension too...

Ingredients:
1.  Steaks
2.  Salt
3.  Black pepper
4.  Garlic - pounded Hmong way...
5.  Butter - unsalted is best
6.  Meat tenderizer or fork... hehehe...
7.  A cup with water... add more as needed.

Steps:
1.  Rinse the meat
2.  Put the steak on the cutting board and tenderize it ... if using fork... just start stabbing it all over until completely covered... do both sides.
3.  Once all the steaks have been tenderize... put back in a bowl and add salt, black pepper and garlic.  Mix well and let sit while preparing the frying pan... I usually use two b/c I have a large family...
4.  Put the frying pans on the stove... on high heat...
5.  Lay the steaks in the frying pan (no oil)... make sure all are laying flat and not up on the sides.
6.  Once it start to sizzle... add a little of bit water... just barely covering the pan so as to not burn the steak... lift the steak up a bit to allow the water to get under it...
7.  Keep turning and adding water as needed.
8.  When it's nearing the desire cooked level... don't add any more water and allow each side to brown or scab a little...
9.  Put on plate and... do NOT add steak sauce b/c it will just kill all your hard work... the steak will be full of flavors...
10.  Pull out the hot pepper and rice... and enjoy.

My 15 year old daughter said that any man wanting to marry her will have to learn how to cook a steak my way first... no ifs and butts about it ... lolz

She prefers my steak to restuarants steaks.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:24:38 AM by LadyLionness »

go-go

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
Dang! That's a lof of recipes... hahahhaha  :2funny:  Most of those dishes - I've been making them for years so I hardly even think about it... the only one that I actually followed a recipe for was the gumbo.  And the very last pic that you posted (the spicy pork salad) was not a dish I made ... I just like eating it.  But it is very similar to nam khao and there's actually a long thread for that dish somewhere in this forum.  I think I linked it in one of my responses but if I didn't, then you can search for it.

Let me see what I can do... some of them I have recipes written down already, but some of them, I do not.

LadyLionness

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
LL, that stuff looks awesome.  I need to get back home.   :'(

they're not mine... thajyeeb's and she is about to give me the recipes so Sweets and I can learn together... lolz!

LadyLionness

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
Funny you mentioned that.  Sweets has been surfing through here anticipating decent recipes.   O0

See?  I am looking out for you. :)

go-go

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
seafood gumbo

Here's what I put in my gumbo:

Roux:
clarified butter (or regular unsalted butter if you don't have time to clarify the butter)
All-purpose flour
if you don't know how to make a roux, then follow this simple tutorial. It's what I used too.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryfundamentals/ss/roux.htm

You can make the roux ahead of time, but if you're doing a small pot, then there's no need.  It does take a little bit of time to get the roux to get a brown color because you want to cook it over low heat as not to burn it. Oh and the house will smell from the roux, so be sure to ventilate very well during this process!

White onion, diced
Green bell pepper, diced
celery, cut up
Garlic, crushed
Crushed canned tomato (it'll say crushed on the can label)
water
chicken broth
Chicken thighs, cooked, shredded (you can use a whole chicken or whatever chicken parts you want)
Smoked sausage (Andouille sausages are preferred as it's the traditional ones, but I used regular Johnson Hill beef smoked sausages as a substitute)
Oscar Mayer Lil’ smokies (optional)
Alaska king crab legs, cut into 2" inch pieces for easy slurping
Shrimp, shelled, deveined (the larger the better)
Tabasco sauce
Paprika
Cajun seasoning
creole seasoning
salt
black pepper

1. if you already have the roux premade, then start with that first.  If not, then start making the roux.  Once the roux is heated up (or turned brown), then you can add in the 1st three items (white onion, bell pepper and celery).
2. pinch some salt and black pepper and add in the garlic
3. sauteed for a few minutes until they soften - do not burn and do not get it to brown
4. Add in crushed tomatoe, water and chicken broth (I used more water than chicken broth) - also, if you want a thicker gravy, then you will add less water/broth.  If you want a thin gravy, then add more.  You should start out small and add gradually until you've reached the right consistency for you.
5. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper if needed
6. Add chicken thighs, sausages.  Stir and add in some tabasco sauce (add as much as you want), paprika (for that red color) and cajun seasoning and creole seasoning (start with small amount and add to get the flavor that you want.)
7. bring to a low boil and then turn down heat and let it simmer - depending on when you'll serve it... let it simmer for at least 20-30 mins. Add in the crab legs during this period. Depending on how much crab you put in, it will need some time to cook thoroughly.  If it's just cut up legs like how mine are, then it shouldn't take long.  I'd let it cook for at least 5 minutes or so. 
8. Add in the shrimps last, just right before serving as not to overcook them.

Tips:
1. Eat some gumbo before you attempt it at home so that you'll know how it should taste like.  You'll be doing a lot flavor adjusting, so you should have some basic idea to work from.
2. If you use the lil' smokies sausages, don't use the whole pack.  There's quite a lot of lil' smokies in that one pack and you'll just throw most of them out.
3. In my picture above, I made a big pot for a Thanksgiving dinner, so I couldn't get the right consistency, so you may want to attempt a small pot for yourself or for your family before doing a big pot.  LOL! 
4. Before you start, if this is your first time, read as many food blogs about how to make it and watch youtube clips to give you a good idea about when to add what ingredients and how long to let each item cook.  When I made it, I didn't have anyone watched over me.  My friend just gave me a recipe and I winged it from there by myself.  This was a recipe that I followed for directions:
http://www.food.com/recipe/louisiana-chicken-and-sausage-gumbo-the-real-stuff-47656

go-go

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
now you see why I don't post up recipes?? It's very time consuming...  :2funny:

I'll get to the others as soon as I can...

go-go

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
OK.... I don't cook a lot... lolz... but I do make a mean steak...

Any beef... sirlion, t-bone... or even those cheaper slab of beef will work too... works with vension too...

Ingredients:
1.  Steaks
2.  Salt
3.  Black pepper
4.  Garlic - pounded Hmong way...
5.  Butter - unsalted is best
6.  Meat tenderizer or fork... hehehe...
7.  A cup with water... add more as needed.

Steps:
1.  Rinse the meat
2.  Put the steak on the cutting board and tenderize it ... if using fork... just start stabbing it all over until completely covered... do both sides.
3.  Once all the steaks have been tenderize... put back in a bowl and add salt, black pepper and garlic.  Mix well and let sit while preparing the frying pan... I usually use two b/c I have a large family...
4.  Put the frying pans on the stove... on high heat...
5.  Lay the steaks in the frying pan (no oil)... make sure all are laying flat and not up on the sides.
6.  Once it start to sizzle... add a little of bit water... just barely covering the pan so as to not burn the steak... lift the steak up a bit to allow the water to get under it...
7.  Keep turning and adding water as needed.
8.  When it's nearing the desire cooked level... don't add any more water and allow each side to brown or scab a little...
9.  Put on plate and... do NOT add steak sauce b/c it will just kill all your hard work... the steak will be full of flavors...
10.  Pull out the hot pepper and rice... and enjoy.

My 15 year old daughter said that any man wanting to marry her will have to learn how to cook a steak my way first... no ifs and butts about it ... lolz

She prefers my steak to restuarants steaks.

m'dear, where is the picture???    :2funny: :2funny:

LadyLionness

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

m'dear, where is the picture???    :2funny: :2funny:

Next time when I make it, I will post the pix... lolz... maybe I will make some venison steaks this week...

go-go

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
beef laab

top sirloin, bbq, then thinly sliced cross-grain
lime juice
fish sauce
red onion, thinly sliced, longwise
shallots, thinly sliced, crosswise
chili peppers, chopped
fresh galangal, finely minced
lemongrass, thinly sliced or finely minced (I prefer slicing and using only the young tender parts vs the whole stalk which can be too coarse and grainy)
stock (optional - see steps 3 below)
roasted rice powder
mint leaves & long coriander leaf & one other herb that I forgot the name of, but it's on the picture
scallions
cilantro
salt & sugar

1.  In a large bowl, combine beef and lime juice. mix well. Taste to see if the desired tartness is acheived.
2.  Add the next 6 ingredients. mix well. Taste for flavor.  Adjust salt and/or fish sauce.
3.  At this point, it's up to you to decide whether to add stock or not.  The stock is made from boiling a little piece of the bbq steak (the burned parts with some fat) in water and a small piece of galangal root.  I usually let this cool in the fridge until I needed it.  If the bbq steak is too cooked and becomes dry, then you can add a little bit of stock at this time.  If you didn't overcook it, and the steak is still juicy, then you do not have to add anything.  Just dont add so much that you see a puddle in the bottom of the bowl. 
4. Taste and adjust flavor before adding roasted rice powder or herbs.
5.  add roasted rice powder, lightly mix
6. add in the herbs. do not toss or mix, let them sit on top. 

the shrimp laab is basically made the same way.  Just cook the shrimp ahead of time and cut them in halves (just to be able to feed a large group), but if you're not expecting a lot of people, then you don't have to cut them in half.

go-go

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
simple shrimp stirfry

1-2 lbs of large shrimp, shelled, deveined w/ tail-on and patted dry (this is important)
evoo
garlic
white onion, diced or sliced (used 1/2 of the onion)
roma tomato, big slices
salt
soy sauce
black pepper
some cajun seasoning if you have any
green onion and cilantro

1.heat up wok (or pan) with evoo until it starts to smoke
2. add garlic and white onion, sautee for a few mins
3. add tomato, cook 1-2 mins
4. add shrimp and rest of seasonings.  cook shrimp until slightly pink.
5. turn off heat and add in green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.

you can certainly add in different vegetables, but I was too lazy that night.  At some other times, I've used white button mushrooms or those straw mushrooms, with bell peppers, and other times, I've add oyster sauce for a creamier taste. 

go-go

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
tom yum gai with shrimp

We used a tom yum paste for this.  Forgot which brand. This is another easy dish too.

water
kiffir lime leave
fresh galangal or lemongrass
lime juice
salt or fish sauce
tom yum paste
straw mushrooms
shrimp, deveined
cilantro (for garnish)
1. bring a pot of water to boil, add in the kiffir lime leaves,  the fresh galangal or lemongrass and the lime juice and salt or fish sauce. Taste the soup. Adjust the salt if needed.
2. Add the tom yum paste.  2 heaping spoonfuls should do it for a small pot.  Add according to your water content.  Adjust the flavors by adding in more salt or more lime juice according to taste. Then add in the straw mushrooms.
3. Add in the shrimp. Cook 1-2 mins until pink.  Add cilantro and serve immediately.

Advertisements