Advertisement

Author Topic: HTC EVO 4G  (Read 1395 times)

dogtags3154

HTC EVO 4G
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
So I've been with Sprint for many years now. Although this is my 7th different phone with Sprint, I do love it. The only question I have is, I was researching on Rooting the HTC EVO...guess it's like jailbreaking the iPhone, but on a Android format. Well, I'm not technologicall y inclined as I want to be, but....anyone know the Pros and Cons to rooting the EVO. Or how to do it properly..?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Gutts

Re: HTC EVO 4G
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
I rooted my evo using UnrEVOked.  You can probably google it yourself, otherwise, Lament can help you out.

Rooting just means you unlock Root(Super user access).

Once you root, you can "flash" custom "roms", themes, etc.  You can also "tether" your phone for free.  This is usually a service that is locked by Sprint and they offer it for about $30 /month.

I installed HDMwin last night on my Evo (running Cyanogenmod 7 RC 2), and was playing my old SNES, NES games on my 52" LCD via the HDMI cable, using the classic SNES gamepad hooked up to my Wiimote.

dogtags3154

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
Wow..that's cool. Yeah, so when I tether my phone, I can use the phone as a modem without being charged? Well, to be honest, I've tried rooting my phone already, and like I said, I'm not inclined tech-wise, so didnt get it done. I followed the instructions online word for word, but somehow it didnt work. Anyway, know any good sites to actually help. Thanks.

LELIA

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
I rooted my evo using UnrEVOked.  You can probably google it yourself, otherwise, Lament can help you out.

Rooting just means you unlock Root(Super user access).

Once you root, you can "flash" custom "roms", themes, etc.  You can also "tether" your phone for free.  This is usually a service that is locked by Sprint and they offer it for about $30 /month.

I installed HDMwin last night on my Evo (running Cyanogenmod 7 RC 2), and was playing my old SNES, NES games on my 52" LCD via the HDMI cable, using the classic SNES gamepad hooked up to my Wiimote.

gutts,
i thought u can tether w/ any phone? i've always been able to tether w/any phone..except for my current phone..the blackberry...a nd as long as u hv unlimited data plan, you won't be charged.

Gutts

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:27:14 AM »
I believe Tethering is built in to the Android OS, but the carriers such as Sprint block that service and require a fee for it.

Anyway,

Confirmed reports of the new EVO 3D!  I'd wait for this if I were you guys.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/evo-3d-specs-confirmed-1080p-2d-video-720p-3d-dual-cameras-1/

LELIA

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
3D makes me queezy... so.. i'll stick to the non-3d phones.

Gutts, you'll by my "to go" to guy when i get mine in a few wks here.

dogtags3154

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
Anemone..you might have to turn off some of the apps or things you're not using to conserve battery life. Like Wi-Fi.

Advertisements