Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong American Sportsmen Club NEWS & UPDATES  (Read 15729 times)

addisonlee

Hmong American Sportsmen Club NEWS & UPDATES
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an updated on HASC's projects and plans for the rest of 2011. We’re gonna need all the help we can get with some big projects for the Hmong community.

-   Releasing 3,000+ trout for a kid’s free fishing weekend (showing kids how to fish, help untangling lines, cooking, setup, etc.)

-   Taking care of 3,000+ pheasants (feed, water, etc.) to be released on public hunting land and habitat restoration of public land (to hold a wild population)

-   Learn to hunt events for the Hmong youth (squirrel, pheasant and deer) (need mentors to teach the youth)

-   Volunteer efforts with the local community to change the Hmong stereo-type (community clean up, habitat restoration, river restoration, etc.)

These are just a few of the many projects we have going on for the year. Let me know if you or anyone would be interested. Feel free to contact anyone of us.

Thanks,

Addison Lee
HASC President
[email protected]
[email protected]

www.HmongAmeri canSportsmenCl ub.com

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:10:15 PM by addisonlee »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bumzc

Re: Hmong American Sportsmen Club UPDATES
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
good stuff.. Let me know when this club comes to MN I'll volunteer 

addisonlee

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
good stuff.. Let me know when this club comes to MN I'll volunteer 

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully in time we can expand and have other Hmong leaders step up to help do so. I'll be sure to keep every posted with our efforts.

O0

Offline mr_vue

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
"Taking care of 3,000+ pheasants..."

before reading the rest of that sentence, I thought you were going to harvest that much.  ;D

addisonlee

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
"Taking care of 3,000+ pheasants..."

before reading the rest of that sentence, I thought you were going to harvest that much.  ;D

;D

Finest

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »
I don't believe that our efforts are just trying to appease the white hunters, but rather to show them that we, too, are hunters and conservationis ts just like they are.  Without looking at color or race, we're all out there for the same purpose:  to hunt, to carry on the tradition, and to preserve the outdoors for generations to come.  If we don't do this now, there might not be an outdoors for our kids or grandkids to hunt with.  At a hunting heritage conference held this past February, the DNR has outlined the fact that hunting is on the decline, and we need more hunters more than ever now.  Everyone is affected by it, not just us.  And while the Hmongs represent a relatively small portion of that hunting group, we can all still make a big difference if we work together with everyone.

And while some of our efforts do deal with other clubs, we are still our own club and do things to benefit ourselves and everyone around us.  With limited funding and facilities, we work closely with other more established clubs to help us get us off our feet and on our own.  We also have the extra hurdle of first working past the stereotypes and breaking down the cultural barriers between us and the white hunters, which is also another reason why we work so closely with the DNR and other clubs to gain familiarity in the community.  It takes several small steps to get going, and we've only just begun.  If you're interested, we invite everyone to attend some of our meetings to voice your opinions and comments.  We welcome anyone regardless of race or color. 

addisonlee

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:36 PM »
I see Finest has answered your question.

Please feel free to voice any concerns, suggestions, ideas, etc.

addisonlee

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
HASC in the NEWS

Networking big at Hunting Heritage Conference
Second annual event delivers optimism about future, cultural insights

ROTHSCHILD, Wis. – While attendees of this year’s Hunting Heritage Conference learned how to organize a local educational outing, others say the most valuable benefit of the two-day session was meeting others dedicated to recruiting hunters of all ages and ethnicities.

“My sense is that others at the conference found it helpful, and like me, enjoyed meeting others fighting the same fight,” Jim Shurts of Madison said. “The primary highlight was the opportunity to meet with others who are active with hunter recruitment and share common goals.”

Shurts, chair of the John M. Keener Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society, was among the roughly 110 who gathered here for the second annual conference for Learn to Hunt organizers.

Sponsored by the state Department of Natural Resources, the heritage conference began in 2010 as a combination brainstorming and information-sharing event for hunting mentors, organizations and volunteer instructors interested in solidifying Wisconsin’s hunting future.

Mike Skaife of Prairie du Chien, whose local chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation hosted the state’s first Learn to Hunt event 13 years ago, especially enjoyed his conversations with Sheboygan-based Hmong American Sportsmen Club members.

“We talked with them a lot, about their background and it was very interesting to hear their stories,” Skaife said. The Hmong initially were unaware of Wisconsin property laws which caused unintentional frictions, and prompted the creation of outreach and education programs to rectify the situation – including the DNR’s Harmony in the Woods.

Hmong club president Addison Lee agreed these conference conversations are valuable and enjoyable, and suggested “a more diverse selection of guest speakers to consider the wide array of perspectives of hunters throughout Wisconsin” for future hunting conferences.

DNR Hunting and Shooting Sport Coordinator Keith Warnke says Wisconsin, like other states, has lost active hunters which affects conservation activities that benefit everyone. DNR records show gun-deer hunting licenses sold to Wisconsin residents declined 6.5 percent between 2000 and 2010. The decrease occurred even though 10- and 11-year-old hunters were added for the first time in 2009.

“This means there is less funding for conservation efforts, and less conservation being practiced,” Warnke said. “Fewer hunters participating in legal hunting means fewer resources for, and less focus on, conservation. Everything from game management to wetland restoration will be impacted.”

The DNR started the Learn to Hunt Program in 1998 to provide youth and adults opportunities to experience an actual hunt with an experienced hunter. The program involves classroom and field instruction in addition to the hunt. Warnke says the program in 2010 saw a 10 percent increase in participation. “This increase was, in large part, due to last year’s first Hunting Heritage Conference,” Warnke said. “We expect this conference to have a similar impact.”

The Learn to Hunt program has reached more than 3,000 novice participants in the last two years through the cooperation and funding of the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s Hunting Heritage Partnership Grant Program and the Wisconsin DNR. The foundation’s grant program has funded the Wisconsin conference both years.

Lil Pipping of Elkhart Lake, past president of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, says the first great hunt provided by Learn to Hunt programs needs to be followed by another to keep the interest going. Rich Kirchmeyer, secretary-treasurer of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, agreed and suggested borrowing from other children’s programs. “If we could adopt-a-kid not only to take them turkey hunting, but also grouse and more…so they get the full experience of all the outdoors has to offer,” he said.

Warnke says the conference attendees were united on one goal. “They clearly understand their role in recruiting the next generation of hunters in Wisconsin.”

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: : Keith Warnke, Hunting and Shooting Sport Coordinator, 608-576-5243; Todd Schaller, Administrator, Recreation Enforcement and Education, 608-267-2774 or Joanne M. Haas, Bureau of Law Enforcement, 608-267-0798

addisonlee

Re: Hmong American Sportsmen Club NEWS & UPDATES
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
Spring 2011 Hunter Safety Class

Field Day

addisonlee

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »

addisonlee

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »
On Saturday, May 7th several members of the Hmong American Sportsmen Club showed up to help clean-up Maywood Park and improve its habitat. It started off with a chilly morning with the sun shining down on us as we started off planting over 100 cedar swamp trees in the lower river valley of the park, then also pulled and trimmed weeds and unwanted brush from the public walking paths of the park. The event ended with a lunch full of hamburgers, hotdogs, and much more.

More pictures to come. Enjoy.

O0

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »
Good job Addison.  We need positive people like you around to make a difference in everyone's live.  We must share nature and treat it with the respect it has given us.  We all should love the earth like the natives.

addisonlee

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Good job Addison.  We need positive people like you around to make a difference in everyone's live.  We must share nature and treat it with the respect it has given us.  We all should love the earth like the natives.

+1 Thanks for the positive comments.  O0

I believe we should all lead by example and that is what HASC is all about. If we don't make an effort now to take care of mother nature, our children will be the one's being deprived from the memories we enjoyed so much as kids. We're always looking for extra help with our activities, if you or anyone else would like to join us feel free to contact me. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on our conservation efforts.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM by addisonlee »

Roc

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
Good job guys! Good to see a lot of our young ladies are getting into hunting too! I guess I know where to go when I start looking to settle down eh? Haha all joking aside, it's great that you guys are getting out there to better inform both sides. Like stated, it starts with small steps, every little bit of kindness goes to breaking stereotypes and racism. When we were hunting in MN we were carting out my uncle's buck and my doe, half way back we saw a white hunter that had a huge doe (bigger than my uncle's 6 point) who was obviously tired. After asking if he needed help, we tossed his doe on top of our deer and walked back together. In the end we are all facing the same issues together, division among hunters makes us weaker for the animal rights activists to take apart.

addisonlee

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:04 AM »
Good job guys! Good to see a lot of our young ladies are getting into hunting too! I guess I know where to go when I start looking to settle down eh? Haha all joking aside, it's great that you guys are getting out there to better inform both sides. Like stated, it starts with small steps, every little bit of kindness goes to breaking stereotypes and racism. When we were hunting in MN we were carting out my uncle's buck and my doe, half way back we saw a white hunter that had a huge doe (bigger than my uncle's 6 point) who was obviously tired. After asking if he needed help, we tossed his doe on top of our deer and walked back together. In the end we are all facing the same issues together, division among hunters makes us weaker for the animal rights activists to take apart.

Great job and effort on you and your hunting party! Keep it up!  O0

Advertisements