Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have a Phenom II 965?  (Read 1186 times)

Snake

Anyone have a Phenom II 965?
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
I've been trying to overclock that sucker and could never get a stable setup while running prime 95.  Anyone have a stable setup and what are your voltages?  Also what is a Phenom 965 equivalent to compared to an intel?  I heard it was in between a intel 2 qaud and i7 920.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

obscurity

Re: Anyone have a Phenom II 965?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
are you sure its the cpu thats not working or are the ram's oclocked too?  what heatsink do you have?  did you just change multiplier to oclock or fsb?

in anycase when i was oclocking my cousins comp when i built it for him it was pretty easy to get it to 4ghz i dont remember what setting i used but i dont think i turned up the voltage much.  just depends on luck i suppose, just start low and then work your way up

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
i was a die-hard overclocker, but it's been a while. i've never used that CPU, but from experience, half of the time, it's the RAM that causes crashes when overclocking a CPU. Try playing with the RAM divider and latency numbers. it's very very hard to have a 1:1 RAM and CPU overclocked. Almost all the time, you'll have to lower the RAM speed to begin with and work up from there. Lower your RAM speed so that when you've achieved the desired CPU speed you want, the RAM speed with be just around the stock speed. After that has been tested and is stable enough, now play with the RAM speed/latency with a slower CPU speed. This is to see what the max speed your CPU and RAM can handle.

I like to overclock and test my system this way when i use to do it on Socket 939, but i'm sure the newer CPU's can't be that much different when overclocking.

1. Divide RAM speed  by half or however much in Bios. Play with CPU speed at stock voltage to see its max speed and still stable.

2. Up CPU speed until it is unstable and then back it down to where it was stable.

3. Now, play with the voltage....

4. Do the same for the ram... gets frustrating... So many other things that you have to mess with too. Multiplier, heat/temperature, PSU powerful enough?,  bad RAM? (use Memtest), certain mobos don't like filling all ram slots with ram when overclocking,  etc...

Even with the same mobo+RAM+CPU, using someone else's setup doesn't always guarantee a stable overclock. I ran prime95 for almost 24 hrs straight to consider it stable.

overclocking.n et  and extremeoverclo cking.com will be your best friends. Learned a lot from those sites over the past several years.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:30:29 PM by Toua »

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

obscurity

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
with the Phenom II 965, you probably shouldnt bother with the fsb if at all, since its unlock multiplier, just mess with multiplier, leave fsb and memory at default and up the voltage, most people get 3.6 at least

Snake

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
Well after messing around with it I got it to 3.8 with stock voltages by raising the multiplier.  It ran prime 95 for over 4 hours with no problems. Got Zerotherm Narvana heat sink and it seems to keep the temps below 60 full load and idle at around 36-38 @ 3.8.

obscurity

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »
have you tried to run intelburntest?

should do it at very high 5 itterations should be good

watchout for your temps though it skyrockets it, even more so then prime

Advertisements