Advertisement

Author Topic: Here she is, finally!  (Read 5088 times)

Finest

Here she is, finally!
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »

Decided to go with an '08 Yamaha R6S.  It's the older body style, but newer ('08) if that makes any sense.  The new gen R6 was a little too aggressive for me, being my first bike and all. 

Now comes the learning curve.  Taking the MSF class sometime this summer, next open spot is June or so.  Was scheduled for April, but I had things to do every weekend for an entire month up in Sheboygan (Hunter's Safety instructor training). 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Finest

Re: Here she is, finally!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
Yea give a month or so of riding time first! 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »

It's the older body style, but newer ('08) if that makes any sense.  

Congrats!!! O0 And yes, it does make 'sense': The "S" model is basically the tamer of the R6 models that year.

Take your time to get to know the bike, build your skills, and always ride your own ride and you should be fine. I've seen too many newbies and even vets in some cases tried to ride out of their comfort zones and skill levels and ended up badly over the years.

Finest

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
Sportland 2

Finest

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
Good starter bike.   ;)

Dial your suspension in.   O0

I have no idea where to start, might head back to the dealer and have them sort me out.  I still can't flat foot the bike, but probably about half an inch away from it.  Good enough for me, and lowering is not an option. 

Finest

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
I've been out a few times already, hit up Lake Drive and the smaller streets down here.  Awesome feeling!

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
still got like 100 HP? so it's definitely not all that tame...

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Finest

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
Yea, 123hp.  So like 100whp.  Definitely the quickest thing I've ever ridden/driven.  I've only cracked it about half throttle at most and the acceleration is already insane! 

Took it out today for a good 2 hr ride around town to get more familiar with it, and I think I'm getting the hang of it.  The hardest part was starting from a stop, my clutch catches really late so it takes some getting used to.  Now that I've got that sorted out, I still have to dial in the suspension a little more, but for everyday riding it feels good to me.  Even took it out on the highway and was cruising at some good speeds with traffic. 

I'll give you guys a call and we can go out for the first ride of the season!  Just go easy on me though!   :D O0

2Wicked

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »

congrats man!

hopefully you don't itch for a bigger bike soon!  don't forget your gears and map your route so you don't get yourself into traffics and rough spots(pot holes, hill stops etc).

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
cool.. i think all motorcycle clutches grab late.. practice and practice. i still do that when i have nothing else to do or no where to go.  Don't worry, i can't flat foot my bike either. Still can hold it with 2 feet on the ground though. When i ride jet's bike, my foot barely touches the ground, so i always have it lean to the left with my right foot on the rear brake.

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

BuckFuddies2

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
Cool bike.  Now go drag some knees.

Finest

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
Cool bike.  Now go drag some knees.

That's the plan!   O0

(but not so soon, still putting some good miles on me first) 

BuckFuddies2

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
That's the plan!   O0

(but not so soon, still putting some good miles on me first) 

Ride safe dude.  Just think everyone is out to get you.   O0

Finest

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
Who's KB? 

Finest

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »

Finally got a chance to take her out again!  Rode into work for the first time.   O0

Here's how she sits currently.  I blacked out the windshield, removed the side decals, and made a DIY fender eliminator out back.  Looking for flushmounts up front for the signals, then a slip on exhaust, and powdercoat the passenger pegs to clean it all up.  Otherwise, she's perfect!   >:D

Advertisements