Advertisement

Author Topic: If "UA NEEB" can not cure a person who is dying from AIDS, why do it?  (Read 22612 times)

HmongKnight

"UA NEEB" to me is a shaman ways to find out what caused that person to get sick and how to cure him/her.  Now days, we live in an era where there are many illness and diseases that can not be cure by a shaman's ritual such as; AIDS, cancer, hypetitus, Tuberculosis and many others. These kind of illness can not be cure unless one seek help from doctors and take the right medications for it. Even with the right medication, it can only slow down the illness and not completely cure it.

But what I don't get it is that many families still practice shamanism's ritual to cure these kind of illness. And it can be costly too.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

buster_me

u are just one of those ignorant hater out there bashing on your own culture. yes jingle bells does not cure all form of disease and sickness but when even 21st century modern medical science doesn't cure, you seek other options. don't be too narrow minded. it may cost a lot of money but hey compare to a checkup medical bill which one is more expensive huh. a freaken body procedure in one of those machine cost you in the thousands of dollars and in the end you still die of cancer.

so your stupid question should also say that "why are christian still praying to god when god doesn't cure AIDS" Praying to me is like having a sense of faith so i can be stronger against the battle for my life. no difference in jingle bells. if we believe it, it gives us some faith and comfort to battle against our lives, we'll do it because its another option even if it cost money because one's life is priceless and precious. whether u are a christian that hates traditional practice or not, lighten up and appreciate your own culture because nothing can change the fact that u are hmong even if you believe in another god O0

Pure-Noob

Jingle bell gave hope back then in Laos when medication wasn't available. Same exact thing can be said about prayer, it gives us hope

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Neeb is a psychological healing practice. It should be used solely for that. But perhaps the Hmong mind isn't open up to physical treatments yet.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

buster_me

Neeb is a psychological healing practice. It should be used solely for that. But perhaps the Hmong mind isn't open up to physical treatments yet.
i think the younger generations are more open to treatment and even our parents as well. the only one who don't really like medical treatments are the grandparents. My grandparents ua neeb just about every other weeks haha even the doctors told them what caused the sickness already, you know old people tends to have health problems because it's a common thing when you grow older. i was shock hearing the grandparents will ua neeb when i heard my dad telling us not to have plans for the weekend and i always told my dad "didn't they just ua neeb 2weeks ago" haha. with our family we only ua neeb once in a long time just to be on the safe side so when we go anywhere we can has a sense of knowing we will be fine.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
i think the younger generations are more open to treatment and even our parents as well. the only one who don't really like medical treatments are the grandparents. My grandparents ua neeb just about every other weeks haha even the doctors told them what caused the sickness already, you know old people tends to have health problems because it's a common thing when you grow older. i was shock hearing the grandparents will ua neeb when i heard my dad telling us not to have plans for the weekend and i always told my dad "didn't they just ua neeb 2weeks ago" haha. with our family we only ua neeb once in a long time just to be on the safe side so when we go anywhere we can has a sense of knowing we will be fine.

Very common. haha...

I believe in neeb, too. But I don't think it has to be performed that often.

Now, another thing is: the OGs don't trust the Western medical system. Wonder how that came about...lol... I find it ironic because VP and the rest of the Hmong vets have trusted the Western soldier entirely. ;D

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

morninglory

When I am sick or one of my family is, I will explore every option out there to help. I dont know why people complain about stuff that dont even affect or concern them directly.  ::)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:17:02 PM by morninglory »

buster_me

Very common. haha...

I believe in neeb, too. But I don't think it has to be performed that often.

Now, another thing is: the OGs don't trust the Western medical system. Wonder how that came about...lol... I find it ironic because VP and the rest of the Hmong vets have trusted the Western soldier entirely. ;D
no idea. what's intrigue me is that they are not willingly to seek professional doctors for answers but rather spend miles of travel to allow these fake self proclaim hmong doctors to treat them.

DivineTreasure

It is important to treat a person spiritually and and physically.  "Ua neeb ua yaig" is for spiritual purposes... but that shouldn't just be the only thing.  I do agree that Hmong people need NOT be so stubborn and also seek medical help to also physically cure an illness.

Offline ymmot

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Praying also does nothing to help cure a person with AIDS, yet people still do it.. why, cause people want to have a sense that they have some kind of control, even if just a little.

Personally, I think ua neeb and praying are both useless. I won't try to damper other peoples hope.. and still participate, but I'd still think it's ridiculous.

HmongKnight

Not really the same thing.. UA NEEB cost alot of money and very time consuming. Now days, not too many txiv neeb around so some families in smaller Hmong communities have to travel 3/4 hours to pick up a txiv neeb to come do the rituals and send him/her back. A regular ritual will cost a family average of $400 to $500. On the other hand, a prayer from church members only last about 30 minutes. The only thing a family need to do is provide some fruits and drinks for the guests. 

HmongKnight

Neeb is intended only for spirit related illnesses. I think you may be confusing that with physical illness.

I have a distant uncle who's new born had a swallowing complications. NOthing can go inside his stomach, so doctors want to do a surgery on his upper adominal because the muscle is too tight and won't allow anything to go through.. But he insist that doctors let him take the baby home to do a shaman ritual on him first and see if it helps before the surgery. DOctors denied his requested.. He argued with the doctors and the head of the hospital all day long. At the end, child protection has to take over the case and forced the surgery.

So why are we doing this to ourself in a society where technologies are so advance and the dumbest person can read and write??

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
i think the poster is 13 yrs old.

next.

molayang

well when my family gets sick my parents always call our grandpa which is a shaman and he knows all the causes to us, and when my mom had cancer my grndpa already knew she had cancer. but this probably helps some. my grandpa was one of the most powerful shaman ive ever known, but there can be better ones out there. LOL

Spooki

Doing the Hmong rituals help the living human feel good mentally sometimes.  Being healthy mentally helps fight the physical pain.  Even if the ritual doesn't cure the living human physically some people believe that the reason the human flesh is starting to raw out is because the spirit is moving away from the body.

Advertisements