Advertisement

Author Topic: What are the tips & advice for  (Read 1856 times)

Offline lifemystery

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
What are the tips & advice for
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
newbies at riding motorcycle.  8)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Finest

Re: What are the tips & advice for
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
Don't fall.   O0

Peachy Fish

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
Go slow?

Finest

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
Ok, since I'm still a newbie too, I'll give you some tips on what I've experienced while learning to ride:

- Ride as if NO ONE see's you!  Meaning, give yourself plenty of room and separate yourself from traffic when you can.  Don't linger in people's blind spots, ride next to them, or put yourself in a situation where someone can cut you off or block you.  Always have an escape route planned ahead of time.  

- Don't be afraid of dumping it while riding.  It will probably happen some time in your life, just be prepared for it.  (Gear, helmet, etc)  The more comfortable you are on your bike, the more natural riding will become.  Most people actually drop their bikes at low speeds, and not at high speeds like most people would think.  At regular speed, your bike is moving and balanced.  It's like riding a bike, you'll get the hang of it easily.  But at low speeds, you have less balance so you need to be extra careful.  

- In addition to the above, at low speeds you can turn by using your handlebars.  But at riding speeds (above 20-25mph), you press on the inside handle to lean and turn.  

- Look THROUGH the turn, not into the turn.  Your bike will go where your eye goes.  This can also be an issue when you get into target fixation.  You see a hole in the road, if you keep looking at it, you will eventually run right over it!  You're fixated on the target and your body basically directs the bike towards it.  Look through the turn or around the object, your body will react and move around it.  

- Do all your braking and downshifting BEFORE making the turn.  You should almost never be on the brakes when in a lean around a curve.  Brake, Downshift, Lean.  

- Go as slow as you need to ride comfortably and safely.  The last thing you want to do is rush things and get yourself caught up in a situation where you lose control or can't react fast enough.  If riding with a group of experienced riders, don't try to keep up with them.  Or if they're safe and responsible riders, they'll let YOU set the pace for the ride by letting you lead.  A ride is only as good when everyone makes it to the end.   :P

lazypirateday

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
If you miscalculate and enter a turn too fast, don't go for the brakes, LEAN HARD! Drag your knees.

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »
If you miscalculate and enter a turn too fast, don't go for the brakes, LEAN HARD! Drag your knees.
O0..

potus

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
increase your life insurance policy.  O0

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
learn how to properly ride a bicycle first...
Learn how to drive a manual car first. I think it would have been hell for me if i didn't know how to drive a manual car before the motorcycle.

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Advertisements