Advertisement

Author Topic: newbie bike  (Read 5033 times)

madeup

newbie bike
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
The hub REALLY wants a bike, he's taking a course here pretty soon.
What is a good starter bike?
any tips for buying a used bike? certain things to watch out for, etc.
thanks.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

BuckFuddies2

Re: newbie bike
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
thanks.

Just find a used Kawasaki Ninja 250 to start off with.  When it's time for him to up-grade, you can always sell it back same value or even for more if you got a good deal on it.  These 'starter' bikes hold there value.

As far as riding...... watch out for old farts on the road, but that's already a given.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
thanks.

One thing at a time. He should complete the course first then look for a bike second. reasons are: The course could help better evaluate which bike is best for him to start on and secondly, he may find out that motorcycling isn't his thing.

In terms of "good" starter bike(s), google for it by typing "starter bikes". For examples:

http://www.startriding.com/?p=769
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/howtostartridin1/tp/Ten-Beginner-Bikes.htm

Keep in mind that the bikes on those lists are just generalized compilations so it doesn't mean that it'll work for everyone but at least you can get familiarize with some of the models during the research process. Once he's ready, make a list of the considered bikes and visit the dealer(s) to see which one fits best.

In terms of what to look for in a used bike, google is also your friend. Best thing to do is bring someone that knows about bikes with you to look at it. If not, pay a bike shop a small fee to fully inspect it before buying. Keep in mind that a used bike that is not mechanically sound could cause injuries and/or death to the rider especially a new rider. Therefore, get one that you know it is safe to operate.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:51:18 PM by theking »

Finest

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
Ninja 250R, so after he upgrades to a bigger bike you can still ride it.   O0

madeup

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
Thanks for all your responses. I'll have to tell the hubs to do some research.

Finest

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
Wait.  How "big" is he?  Cuz if he's a big guy, I wouldn't recommend a 250 anything.   :2funny:

Have him go to the local dealers and sit on a few bikes, see which ones feel comfortable to him. 

madeup

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »
lol, hes a med built guy. he would look hot with a bike.
one time i saw like 10 teletubbies cruising together, to bad i didnt get to take a pic.
i hope bikes arent too expensive, he has a 5k limit.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
i hope bikes arent too expensive, he has a 5k limit.

5k is plenty new or used if you buy a Japanese brand bike (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha). The great thing about Japanese brands is you could always find discounts on their new bikes. Therefore, shop around and try not to pay the full MSRP for one. In many cases, you can buy a brand new Japanese bike for no more than the MSRP out the door (meaning with tax and fees included).

Finest

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
$5k budget is do-able.  It won't be brand spanking new, but you can find pretty decent used bikes for that price.  Does he have any bikes in particular that he's looking at?  If not a 250, then a 600cc would be good starter.  He'll have to be extra careful while learning and respect the bike that much more.  Take the class first, then he'll get a good feel for riding and decide then which one he'll want to hop on. 

Also, remember that gear costs money too.  Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots.  He'll need the helmet and gloves for the class anyways, so get all of that taken care of beforehand.   O0

madeup

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
oh great, i didnt even think of gear cost. oh well,  i spend more shopping so its only fair he spends his portion.
ive seen him look up several bikes, i think hes into the sportier bikes.
we don't know anyone who owns a bike here, so therefore hes not really able to talk to someone with first hand experience. this is all new to him, but hes very excited about it so well see how it goes.
i'll let him upgrade later when hes comfortable with his first bike (ill take over that one) lol.
he does own one of those small motorcycles, if its anything similar at all. lol.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »

i'll let him upgrade later when hes comfortable with his first bike (ill take over that one) lol.
he does own one of those small motorcycles, if its anything similar at all. lol.

If that's the case then find something used and cheap to learn on. My first bike only cost me $1000. If he insist on new, I would get something like this left over 09' Suzuki GS500f to practice on then sell it or trade it in when ready:

$3499

Also the Ninja 500 (left over new), Ninja 250, CBR250, and Hyosung 250 GTR should also work and they are priced way below the 5k limit.

In terms of gears, you also don't have to spend tons of money for good protection or brand names. I've own expensive to cheap gears and as long as the safety certifications are the same, it'll protect the same. The main thing about gears is find ones that fit best regardless of price, brand, etc.

madeup

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
how do you guys handle riding in the heat when its in the 90's? i would imagine it would burn your back and you'd sweat like crazy.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »
how do you guys handle riding in the heat when its in the 90's? i would imagine it would burn your back and you'd sweat like crazy.

Oops, forgot to give you a link to the 09' GS500F ad from Cycle Trader. Com I posted earlier. Keep in mind the MSRP for this bike was $4,399 but the dealer is trying to move it. If you find something similar in your area, you can probably still go a couple hundred less than the advertised price of "$3,499":

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-SUZUKI-GS500F-94723108

In terms of heat, it can get pretty hot but once you're moving, it's not too bad. And no, you're back doesn't get burn unless you're not wearing any proper shirt/gears. The hottest I've ever ridden in was in the Mojave dessert going to Vegas in the middle of July. It was a 600 mile trip and the avg. temp was 110. However, once moving, it wasn't too bad. I was wearing my Summer gear so that helped too.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:28:01 AM by theking »

Finest

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »

As long as you're moving, the wind pretty much cools you off.  It was mid 90's the other week and I had on helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans, boots.  It was fine.  I'll also ride with my faceshield up (with sunglasses on, of course) to get some wind in my face and cool my noggin.

Remember, it's easier to wipe off sweat than to wipe off blood.   ;)

BuckFuddies2

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
I've found out over the years that the price of the bike is way less than the costs of the aftermarket parts/maintenance.   Its not fun to be on an all stock bike :-\!  

True that.  You need to get neon lights........ ... it's a MUST !!

Advertisements