Advertisement

Author Topic: Server? is it required to setup Home Network  (Read 1539 times)

k3v|n

Server? is it required to setup Home Network
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
I have 3 desktop, a usb printer, 3 laptop, Wireless router and cable modem. Do I need a server to do file sharing and printing capable?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

six

Re: Server? is it required to setup Home Network
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
If multiple people are accessing files and trying to print at the same time, then yes.

If one person is accessing the file or printer one at a time, then nope. You can manage without a server by using your most powerful desktop as a server.  You can also buy a DD-WRT or Tomato capable router and add a hard drive and printer to it.

Pain

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
Just setup a peer to peer network.  If your not familiar then just look up a tutorial or write online like google or youtube.

NceegVaj

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
I have 3 desktop, a usb printer, 3 laptop, Wireless router and cable modem. Do I need a server to do file sharing and printing capable?

I just use USB thumb drive to move files...LOL.

yang_k_vue

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:16 AM »
You don't need a server. A server is basically a desktop whose only purpose is to host files; in essence it's just a desktop. A network is the connection of all these individual servers. But anyways, what you would need to do is set up a Home network after setting up your network connections and hooking up your router. To share your printer you can change that in control panel or simply add your printer to the network. If your printer has network features on there you should be able to print wireless from any desktop and laptops by simply running the provided software on each individual machines; as long as they are on your network. It's not hard you just need a good understanding of what you're doing.

Offline TijLaugHmoob

• Sr. Poster
  • Keep my eyes on you...!
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »

This is what i'm using at home for all my 6 computer to share 1 Laser printer......!

Go buy EN, Fast EN, EN 10Base-T, EN 100Base-TX, Plug-in module, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, AppleTalk, DLC/LLC

With advanced security and industry-leading performance, the HP Jetdirect 620n Fast Ethernet internal print server lets businesses easily and affordably share HP printers with EIO slots across the network and the Internet. The HP Jetdirect 620n Fast Ethernet print server supports a broad range of network operating systems and protocols. With a modular internal design, the print server slides into the EIO slot of any compatible HP device.

NceegVaj

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
This is what i'm using at home for all my 6 computer to share 1 Laser printer......!

Go buy EN, Fast EN, EN 10Base-T, EN 100Base-TX, Plug-in module, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, AppleTalk, DLC/LLC

With advanced security and industry-leading performance, the HP Jetdirect 620n Fast Ethernet internal print server lets businesses easily and affordably share HP printers with EIO slots across the network and the Internet. The HP Jetdirect 620n Fast Ethernet print server supports a broad range of network operating systems and protocols. With a modular internal design, the print server slides into the EIO slot of any compatible HP device.

At least $150 card.  Too expensive.  Just usb hook up to desktop, share it.

Advertisements