Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking Out Txiv Xaiv of Funeral session  (Read 22194 times)

jdm3gste

Re: Taking Out Txiv Xaiv of Funeral session
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
My dad do txiv xaiv for funerals. the amount ppl pay ppl to do txiv xaiv is small compare to them taking their time for three days straight to stay at the funeral and do it all night before burial.

So would u rather just do a open casket for 2hrs view and then buried right away in one day? if that is so, its sad. lol

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yaweh

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
nothing in a mong funeral is required....ex cept qhuab ke, qeej tu siav, qeej nce neeg, and sawv kev.....the rest are just miscellaneous things, and not required.

yaweh

A_New_Beginning

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
My father's funeral, we didnt have a Txiv Xaiv, per his request.  While he's still alive, he said, "Kuv tej lus nyiaj lus kub, tej koob tej hmoo, tej kev fajtimhuabtais, kev txawj kev ntshe, ces kuv twb muab tag rau nej, cov uas mloog kuv lus.  Yog kuv tus mob tsis tso kuv tseg es kuv tso nej tseg, ces txhob kom lwm tus hais kuv li lus."

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
nothing in a mong funeral is required....ex cept qhuab ke, qeej tu siav, qeej nce neeg, and sawv kev.....the rest are just miscellaneous things, and not required.

yaweh

I agree with you and that's why I don't see them as being religiously tied to Shamanism. However, many Christians think they are directly linked to Shamanism and violate Christian beliefs. But like you say, it's not required. It really is up to family preference.

A_New_Beginning

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »
Txiv xaiv, if you're a Christian is similar to Proverbs and Psalms...yet it attached dearly to your deceased.

Moospej

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
Txiv Xaiv, yog txiv lus uas tus tuag tau xaiv tseg. Nws hais rau tus Txiv Xaiv hais tias yog tsis tuag los tseg yog hnub twg nws tuag ces kom tus Txiv Xaiv tuaj mus hais nws coj lus rau nws coj menyuam nyob rau tom qab. Yog li ntawd lub npe Txiv Xaiv thiaj li rhawv tawm los qhiav txog qhib phiaj mus txog ntuj rau txum lauj mem.

A_New_Beginning

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »
Txiv Xaiv, yog txiv lus uas tus tuag tau xaiv tseg. Nws hais rau tus Txiv Xaiv hais tias yog tsis tuag los tseg yog hnub twg nws tuag ces kom tus Txiv Xaiv tuaj mus hais nws coj lus rau nws coj menyuam nyob rau tom qab. Yog li ntawd lub npe Txiv Xaiv thiaj li rhawv tawm los qhiav txog qhib phiaj mus txog ntuj rau txum lauj mem.

This is how i look at it...

Ua neej yog koj yog ib tug neeg paub niamtxiv txiaj ntsig; thaum tseem nyob koj hlub; koj ua rau noj; koj yuav rau hnav; mob los koj kho, ces tej lus nyiaj lus kub, koob hmoov luag yeej muab rau koj.  Yog tias koj yog ib tug uas twb tsis care li, es thaum tuag mam li quaj ciaj quaj tuag, xyom xyom hauvcaug hletawv tag, mloog tej txiv xaiv tej lus npaum cas los pab tsis tau koj lawm...

Moospej

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
This is how i look at it...

Ua neej yog koj yog ib tug neeg paub niamtxiv txiaj ntsig; thaum tseem nyob koj hlub; koj ua rau noj; koj yuav rau hnav; mob los koj kho, ces tej lus nyiaj lus kub, koob hmoov luag yeej muab rau koj.  Yog tias koj yog ib tug uas twb tsis care li, es thaum tuag mam li quaj ciaj quaj tuag, xyom xyom hauvcaug hletawv tag, mloog tej txiv xaiv tej lus npaum cas los pab tsis tau koj lawm...

Hais li ko los yeej yog...tabsis, kuv ho xav txawv me ntsis ntawm koj.

Tus txiv xaiv yog tsim los hais niamtxiv cov ncauj lug rau cov tubki, xwsli cov tubki uas tau tsom mus kawm txuj cij rau ib sab ntuj ib roog teb lawm. Thaum tus laus yuav tas nws txoj sia nws thiaj li yuav kom tus txiv xaiv los hais nws cov lus rau nws cov tubki.  Yog tias koj ho yog tus tub uas niamtxiv tso mus kawm txuj ntawd es thaum koj hnov qheev tias koj niam koj txiv tau tag txoj sia lawm. Koj los txog tsev es tus laug ho tseg tsis tau tab tsi rau koj los yog teev tsis tau ib cov lus rau koj ho yuav xav li cas.  Yog tias koj yeej yog tus nyob rawv ntawm tus laus ib sab coos kuaj nws tag txoj sia ces koj yeej paub zoo lawm tias koj txoj hlub rau nws zoo licas thiab yuav tau txais koob moov los tsis tau.   

luckyvang

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
Currently, txiv xaiv are not used at many funerals.  However, the younger generations do not know this fact.  Just because there is someone standing and singing to you does not mean they are within the position of a txiv xaiv.   So, regarding this post, it's not disrespectful or should not provoke anger.  If a reader was provoked by this post, they are simply just as uneducated about the subject as the poster. 

I'd go on to provide more details, but I'd rather wait for a response that requires more information.  It's not that I don't want to educate people.  Rather, I don't want to write 10 pages, and find out that no one read it. LOL.

luckyvang

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
Ingrates!  They will never receive their "koojhmoov." 

I appreciate the work that Txiv Xaivs do.  Haiv Xim is the best/saddest part of the funeral.

I wouldn't say that people are disrespecting the txiv xaiv by sitting in their chairs to xyom.  Traditionally, to xyom while sitting on the bare ground is not as correct as you think.  To be very traditional, xyom sitting on the ground is for women.  Xiam tuam mas xyom is for the men in which you stand, xyom, and return to a standing position.

Things change over time.  Just because it doesn't match what you see in your eyes doesn't mean that it's wrong.  Personally, people can xyom anyway they want.  At the end of the day, whether you sit or stand or xiam tuam mas xyom, the people who benefit from the txiv xaiv is the person who actually comprehends it.  In this day in age, I'd say 20% of the Hmong kids will understand.

luckyvang

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
My sources are from my "xwb fwbs," and from my my grandfathers.  I, too, practice txiv xaiv, so my knowledge comes from my experiences and my education.  Whether my sources are of significance to you is.... well.... controversial because how do you know that my sources are a reputable sources.   However, I remind you that a lot of our customs have been lost throughout the years.  As a result, it would be difficult to distinguish the truth from a modified version or the false version.  However, I recommend you ask  around.   Moreover, I continue to trust my sources because my personal experiences parallel their statements.  To this day, I still see moob xiam tuam mas xyom, and they are usually lead by an elder who is a txiv xaiv or one that is very traditional. 

I hope that I have provided you with a convincing argument.  If not, I still challenge you to understand why moob today still xiam tuam mas xyom. 

Take care, and update me if you got any new information.

LV

yayableu

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
i understand what they say when they sing. my little brother is carrying on the tradition by learning and singing too. it is the saddest part of the ritual.

at my uncle's funeral.... my siblings and my family sat all night listening. yes, a few were tired but we encouraged each other through. you don't sit for fun, you sit out of RESPECT. and those who know respect will either sit on their knees or on the chairs, but as long as they stay awake to hear the words.

towards the end when the singer was singing something along the lines of 'when the morning come you will no longer have a father...' i would have sit forever for the sun not to rise so that my uncle's spirit can stay with us a little longer. that's how much we all love and respect him. so what if your legs are numb for a bit? when you love and respect someone, you can deal with a few lost hours of sleep.

At the end of the day, whether you sit or stand or xiam tuam mas xyom, the people who benefit from the txiv xaiv is the person who actually comprehends it. In this day in age, I'd say 20% of the Hmong kids will understand.

^ i agree. and that's why i have closure. all the words that he said and everything i heard gave me closure.

yuknowthat

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
Currently, txiv xaiv are not used at many funerals.  However, the younger generations do not know this fact.  Just because there is someone standing and singing to you does not mean they are within the position of a txiv xaiv.   So, regarding this post, it's not disrespectful or should not provoke anger.  If a reader was provoked by this post, they are simply just as uneducated about the subject as the poster. 

I'd go on to provide more details, but I'd rather wait for a response that requires more information.  It's not that I don't want to educate people.  Rather, I don't want to write 10 pages, and find out that no one read it. LOL.
since koj yog tus paub, tus txawj, please explained more rau peb cov ruam
ua tsaug

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
I too agree Txiv Xaiv can be left out.  No one has the time and patience and kids do not give a damn or understand. You want to bless your kids do it while you are still alive. You want to love your parents, do it when they are still alive.  The most important persons yuav tuaj foom ces yog maum phauj & txiv dab laug. Personally, tu txiv xaiv is not as important as someone close and dear to my parents and siblings.

yuav npam ces yog maum phuaj & txiv dab laug foom xwb. Yuav zoo los yog maum phauj /txiv dab laug foom.

I so agree. 

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Txiv xaiv, if you're a Christian is similar to Proverbs and Psalms...yet it attached dearly to your deceased.

Yeah but the Christians don't have to hear and bow to it all night long.  Many were taught from a young age to read and memorize the verses.  Cov txawj mloog txiv xaiv are the Old Gs. 

Advertisements