Advertisement

Author Topic: iphone 4 ???  (Read 2082 times)

kyrie_eleison

iphone 4 ???
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
To all my techs out there: suppose you're given an iphone4 (doesn't matter how) and  it's supposedly de-actived but once you sync it to your mac/pc, it fires on, the AT&T antenna comes up as well as the 3G network signal.  My original plan was to use this iphone as a glorified ipod touch w/ Wifi, GPS and compass capabilities but suddenly all these cool features come to life, what do you?  If this phone is "deactivated" shouldn't it have a dead service?  If the service isn't dead...who gets the shaft (bill)?  I didn't sign any contract so I shouldn't be subject to any financial obligations, right?!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

kyrie_eleison

Re: iphone 4 ???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
Oh, I should have added that I've been using it periodically as a phone and 3G GPS.  So, whether it has a SIM Card or not it's working. 

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
hmm...It's definitely not a stolen iphone4; I know that for a fact but you're probably right, I might have to eventually take out the SIM card. 

Pain

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:01 PM »
The iPhone unit will not work without a deactivated or cold sim card.  You'll get a message on screen to insert sim.  Everything you restore it needs activation with sim.  Its likely the device can still pick up the signals, however it will not allow data transfer.  So your iPhone at this point is an iPod touch w/gps.

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
The iPhone unit will not work without a deactivated or cold sim card.  You'll get a message on screen to insert sim.  Everything you restore it needs activation with sim.  Its likely the device can still pick up the signals, however it will not allow data transfer.  So your iPhone at this point is an iPod touch w/gps.

Well, since I'm still able to make phone calls, surf the net via 3G, I'd say... life is good. 

Pain

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »
Well, since I'm still able to make phone calls, surf the net via 3G, I'd say... life is good. 

That can only mean a few things.  Either the person who owned it before and gave it to you hasnt deactivated the sim or cellular plan.  Or if the phone is stolen or lost the original owner is trying to track you down.  But that can only be if a GPS tracking software was installed, or Mobile Me "find my iphone" has configured on the iphone.

It's also possible if the cancelled their contract that the plan runs or ends towards a specific date due to what they already paid for their cellular bill.

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
It's probably the latter since the phone isn't stolen.  I'm going to just use thing thing until it gets deactivated.  Sort of sad, I like this thing.  Just wish I could find a good free app that allows me to piggyback ride the internet remotely and free of charge.  I believe they call it, "tethering". 

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Is it only when you are using WIFI or when you are on 3G only?  I know my iPad can make VOIP phone calls to other iPhone 4 holders :)

If that is the case, it's one of the sick reasons to get a iPad or a unactivated iPhone but only works with WIFI but again only to other iPad and Iphone users.

sun,

I have an ipod touch 4G also.  And, it does almost all the same things that an iphone can do except it doesn't have a built in GPS, compass or have 3G capability.  Plus, the ipod touch battery doesn't quite last as long either; sort of sad.  The app called, "talkatone" works with the ipod touch 3rd and 4th Gen.  Sort of like you mentioned, voice over IP or 3G or wifi.  There is a slight lag in transmission but the clarity is reasonable and comparable to normal cell phone communication.  Facetime works great and even pictures and videos aren't half bad.  Apple makes great stuff and the iphone is no exception. 

This iphone is awesome and yes, it's still activated:3G and AT&T wireless fires up; just no tethering.  I will admit I'm going to be sad to see it turned off. 

Advertisements