Advertisement

Author Topic: Maintenance time  (Read 2537 times)

Finest

Maintenance time
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »
Riding is such a joy that I sometimes forget that this thing needs maintenance.   Just gas it up and ride!  :2funny: 

So first off I bought a cheap Harbor Freight stand and started on cleaning her up.  I'll have to pick up some spools later, since the stand has both a spool and paddle attachment.  (although the paddle attachment barely raises the rear tire off the ground.)  Picked up some Dupont Teflon chain lube and started degreasing the chain, and wow!  The dirt and grime came off in chunks!  That was the first time ever cleaning the chain since buying the bike earlier this year.   :-X  But brushed it off as much as I could and sprayed on the lube until it was well coated. 

Next I picked up some Mobil 1 4T motorcycle synthetic oil and changed the oil.  It was a breeze since I'm used to changing oil on all my vehicles.  The oil filter wrench was a god-send since it looked like that filter was probably the stock OEM from the factory!   :o  (8k miles, and I don't know if the previous owner ever changed the oil!)  I should have changed all the fluids right after buying the bike, but I was too focused on riding it.  Good thing I didn't really ride all that hard in the beginning. 

I also have a set of spark plugs, but reserving that job for another weekend since it looks like the entire airbox has to come out to get access to the plugs.   :-\  Also wanting to flush the coolant and bleed the brake fluids and I should be done with all the fluids on the bike.  But then again, by the time I'm done with all this, it'll be winter time and it'll be storage time!   :'( 

What does everyone else use for maintanence?  Anything else I should look at?  The owner's manual only lists oil, spark plugs as the 8k mile scheduled maintenance. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance time
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »

What does everyone else use for maintanence?  Anything else I should look at?  The owner's manual only lists oil, spark plugs as the 8k mile scheduled maintenance. 

WD-40 to clean the chain, PJ Blue to lube the chain, change oil and filther with OEM Suzuki/Kawasaki oil at 4 bucks a quart and OEM filters at 12 bucks a piece, replace plugs with OEM NGK plugs if needed, clean the air filters, change the coolant with aluminum safe premix 50/50 coolant from an autopart store i.e., Prestone if needed, use DOT 4 brake fluid to flush the brake and clutch systems, check valve clearance if needed, check the tires and air pressures, and re-torque all the important nuts and bolts particular the ones securing moving parts i.e., brakes, suspensions, etc., to specs.

Finest

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:48 AM »
Good advice on the nuts and bolts thing.  My license plate holder actually backed out a bolt holding it on, it was hanging by the wire until someone noticed it and pointed it out to me.  Embarassing!   :-[

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
Another thing to add: The cables might need fresh lube at 8k...

Finest

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
Like throttle/brake cables?  What do I do and with what?  White lithium grease?   ???

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
i use this oil and it is awesome. Cost a lost less than mobil's. MAKE SURE it is exactly this kind. synthetic (that does not say energy savings)  NOT the one in the white jug.

I did pretty much everything when i first got the bike except for the plugs and wheel bearings. Will change them next summer.

1. cleaned chain
2. check chain slack +checked whole chain for nicks, dents, bad o-rings, etc.. + Checked both sprockets for proper wear and if need to be replaced..
3. Bled the brake fluids+flush with new fluids DOT 4 +changed brake pads
4. Check all hoses
5. Tire for cracks and other shits
6. Check cables such as clutch and adjust slack.. greased as necessary.
7. oil change
8. Fork- check for leaks..
9. Overall suspension settings.. rebound, damper...etc..
10. Steering bearings >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>was a bit loose.
11. wheel alignment
12. flushed coolant
13. nuts and bolts

pretty much everything listed in the service manual.  Overkill...I know. I'm gonna do almost all this over the winter in my garage again just before spring hits.

Next spring's list if i have extra $$$$:

1. Change out both tires to pilot 2CT ~~~$300+mounting
2. Change out both sprockets + chain ~ $300 (I will most likely do it myself)
3. Change spark plugs~ $60
4. Maybe filter depending on how it looks ~ $40-50

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:13:53 PM by Toua »

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »
Like throttle/brake cables?  What do I do and with what?  White lithium grease?   ???

Yep, throttle and clutch cables. Best way to clean it is to take the cables totally off and lube it from the top and let the lubricant run all the way down out of the bottom. I bought a kit like this from Cycle Gear for 10 bucks (on sale):

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_53-0312

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:19:51 PM by theking »

Finest

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
I don't know if I trust myself to remove all of the cables and lube them, then install them properly again.   :2funny:

Advertisements