Advertisement

Author Topic: On my exciting and amazing journey to the stars.....  (Read 417289 times)

Ajax616

Re: On our amazing journey to the stars.....
« Reply #1350 on: April 10, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »
Life Lessons From Marina Keegan's Posthumous Book of Essays

1. Don’t be afraid to recalibrate your goals.
In her introduction, Fadiman recounts a story told to her by Keegan’s parents, about a sailing competition Keegan had entered when she was 14. Though she was a junior sailor, Keegan believed she could beat everyone, no matter how much more experienced they were. But the day was stormy, with 40-knot winds and 3-foot waves that caused her boat to capsize repeatedly. “Marina’s original goal had been to win,” Fadiman writes. “Her new goal was to finish. She came in second to last, to incredulous applause. She was soaking wet, her hair was bedraggled, and her hands were bloody from gripping the lines.”

2. You’re not alone in thinking you’re unworthy. Just keep it in perspective.
“I’m so jealous. Unthinkable jealousies, jealousies of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel I’m reading and the Oscar-winning movie I just saw. Why didn’t I think to rewrite ‘Mrs. Dalloway’? I should have thought to chronicle a schizophrenic ballerina. It’s inexcusable. Everyone else is so successful, and I hate them.” But, she adds, “someday the sun is going to die and everything on Earth will freeze. This will happen. I used to think that printing things made them permanent, but that seems so silly now.”

3. You don’t have to pursue goals that you despise.
“What bothers me is this idea of validation, of rationalizatio n. The notion that some of us (regardless of what we tell ourselves) are doing this because we’re not sure what else to do,” she writes in an essay about how 25 percent of Yale grads would enter the consulting or finance industry. “That’s super depressing! I don’t understand why no one is talking about it. I feel like we can do something really cool to this world. And I fear — at twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five — we might forget.”

4. Value life — all of it.
“People are strange about animals. Especially large ones,” she writes in one essay. “Daily, on the docks of Wellfleet Harbor, thousands of fish are scaled, gutted, and seasoned with thyme and lemon. No one strokes their sides with water. No one cries when their jaws slip open. I worry sometimes that humans are afraid of helping humans. There’s less risk associated with animals, less fear of failure, fear of getting too involved.”

5. It’s never too late (even if you’re not in your 20s).
“What we have to remember is that we can still do anything. We can change our minds,” she writes in the book’s titular essay. “We can start over. Get a post-bac or try writing for the first time. The notion that it’s too late to do anything is comical. It’s hilarious. We’re graduating from college. We’re so young. We can’t, we MUST not lose this sense of possibility because in the end, it’s all we have.”

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:17:45 PM by Ajax616 »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Ajax616

« Reply #1351 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
Re: Scorpion and Frog,

No matter what has happened, I do truly wish you a bright and wonderful journey.  You and I need to stay away from each other and stop talking for awhile.  Your family and your happiness will always be in mind.

Ajax616

« Reply #1352 on: April 10, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
Zen in Trading:  "Just like archery, whenever there is effort, force, struggling, straining, or trying, it's wrong"  Trader X, by Jack Schwagger.

Ajax616

« Reply #1353 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »
"Even if I do tomorrow I have no regrets, because I have you." - From a beautiful life

Who can you say that about?  The only persons I can think of, with all my heart and no reservations at all, are my wonderful and strong kids.

Ajax616

« Reply #1354 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
I still want to hear more of that story that you told.. I love that story... about the woman that became a monk.  :'(

I think I wrote the best that I could now it's time to write it in real life so hopefully one day, she will find true happiness.  Thank you for the encouragement.

Ajax616

« Reply #1355 on: April 10, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Untruths make matters three times worst.  The truth makes a bad situation half as bad immediately. 

Ajax616

« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
"Only a man who has been defeated can come up with the extra ounce of energy it takes to win." - Muhummad Ali

Ajax616

« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
"Once a story is told, it can never grow old." - From a song

"You can't step into the same river twice." - Heraclitus

Our story has been told and we can't step into it again.....I guess that is it.

Ajax616

« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
Genes get turned off and on in one life time, if it's not use.  Fish has gone blind by being in darkness.  Children has become for prone to heart conditions through lack of love.  Love, kindness, and giving are keys to making the next generation stronger.

Ajax616

« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »
Why do I shut this to the max...because there is a very dark side of you, not worth keeping who has the wonderful person hijacked.  That is why.‏

Ajax616

« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
One day two women[a] came to King Solomon, 17 and one of them said:

Your Majesty, this woman and I live in the same house. Not long ago my baby was born at home, 18 and three days later her baby was born. Nobody else was there with us.

19 One night while we were all asleep, she rolled over on her baby, and he died. 20 Then while I was still asleep, she got up and took my son out of my bed. She put him in her bed, then she put her dead baby next to me.

21 In the morning when I got up to feed my son, I saw that he was dead. But when I looked at him in the light, I knew he wasn’t my son.

22 “No!” the other woman shouted. “He was your son. My baby is alive!”

“The dead baby is yours,” the first woman yelled. “Mine is alive!”

They argued back and forth in front of Solomon, 23 until finally he said, “Both of you say this live baby is yours. 24 Someone bring me a sword.”

A sword was brought, and Solomon ordered, 25 “Cut the baby in half! That way each of you can have part of him.”

26 “Please don’t kill my son,” the baby’s mother screamed. “Your Majesty, I love him very much, but give him to her. Just don’t kill him.”

The other woman shouted, “Go ahead and cut him in half. Then neither of us will have the baby.”

27 Solomon said, “Don’t kill the baby.” Then he pointed to the first woman, “She is his real mother. Give the baby to her.”

28 Everyone in Israel was amazed when they heard how Solomon had made his decision. They realized that God had given him wisdom to judge fairly.

Ajax616

« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
Everything you want is as a result of the fact that you think you are a human being....what if you are more...what would you want?‏

Ajax616

« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
I am sorry I couldn't help us, but that is what happens when our entire relationship was laced with untruth. I don't even know who we were.‏

Ajax616

« Reply #1363 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Out of our team of 25 people, I am connectedness at the highest level of 5, the next closest person is a 3.‏

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:53:14 PM by Ajax616 »

Ajax616

Advertisements