Advertisement

Author Topic: On my exciting and amazing journey to the stars.....  (Read 419583 times)

Ajax616

Re: On my exciting and amazing journey to the stars.....
« Reply #3105 on: April 03, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBTwUhtd3KM

Be like Marianne Beausejour, except that make sure to leave your past behind you so that it doesn't come back to harm you.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Ajax616

« Reply #3106 on: April 04, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
Despite disastrous results, it is still a very good experience full of learning opportunities.  I have learned so much from my failures.  Thank you.

Ajax616

« Reply #3107 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
We believe we are on this planet and in this universe due to the ability of our senses to detect the universe.  What if there are countless other forces, particles which we do not yet or know how to detect.  We have not yet evolved to be there yet or have not developed the capability to do so yet.

Ajax616

« Reply #3108 on: April 04, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
We perceive closing our eyes at death and darkness overcoming us, but darkness is our perception and is still a manifestation of this world.  Therefore our senses keeps us attached to this physical world.  Release ourselves from it and will be free, truly free.

Ajax616

« Reply #3109 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
"Everyday is day 1" - Jeff Bezos

"For years I kept a sign on my desk that helped me maintain the right perspective concerning yesterday. It simply said, “Yesterday Ended Last Night.” It reminded me that no matter how badly I might have failed in the past, it’s done, and today is a new day. Conversely, no matter what goals I may have accomplished or awards I may have received, they have little direct impact on what I do today. I can’t celebrate my way to success either."

Ajax616

« Reply #3110 on: April 05, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
I use to sometimes run across angry memories, embarrassing memories, shameful memories or even egotistical memories. They all embarrass me at how little I was or how it would still brew anger inside of me.  Then small minded thoughts come into my head thinking that I should have showed them by doing this or that.

Then I finally have a solution.  Laugh at my immature self back them.  No matter what I did or felt, it is no longer me.  It is part of the growing process of my internal self.  When I encounter an emotionally difficult situation as such, I will immediately think how we can resolve it for joy and laughter through humility and letting others win.  The wager is too small.  It is always small.

Ajax616

« Reply #3111 on: April 23, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »
It is me that creates the disturbances in my life and especially in my heart by desiring that which does not belong with me, but to a child that wanted it a long time ago without thought.

Ajax616

« Reply #3112 on: May 02, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bniAamEGHXs

Thank you my beautiful love for sharing your wonder experiences of growth. I knew you would be special the first time I met you.  All your life, you have never disappointed me yet.  I know you will continue to excel and awe me for all of our lives to come.

Ajax616

« Reply #3113 on: May 02, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »
Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNGuiKPGfM

30th minutes

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:46:46 PM by Ajax616 »

Ajax616

« Reply #3114 on: May 03, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_47J6sy3A

Epicurus, the ways of happiness.

Ajax616

« Reply #3115 on: May 03, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
Power has always and will corrupt the heart.

Ajax616

« Reply #3116 on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_47J6sy3A

Epicurus, the ways of happiness.

So what would make us happy according to Epicurus?

He believed there were 3 key components of a happy life:

Friendship
    Freedom and Self-Sufficiency
    Philosophical Thought

In order to better understand his philosophy, it is best to look at the school he created. The school was called ‘The Garden’ (and it was actually set in a garden) and it can be thought of as the very first commune.

Epicurus purchased a large plot of land and build a house with several rooms and common areas. He and all of his friends would live there.
1. Friendship

One of the keys to happiness for Epicurus was having friends, but the friends that we see occasionally is not what will make us happy. He thought that we should see our friends every day and spend time with them everyday.

The house in ‘The Garden’ had individual rooms for privacy, but there were common areas throughout the property where everyone would spent time together.

Friends and like minded individuals bring us so much happiness and we need to spend more time with them. Friendship is very different from romantic relationships. Friendships are supportive, positive and fun, while romance can lead to negative feelings.
2. Freedom and Self Sufficiency

Freedom and self-sufficiency are other components of happiness. We want to be free to do the things we like and also be able to live sufficiently among friends. What does this mean though?

Looking at the community that Epicurus developed, everyone worked to sustain the community. There were farmers, tailors, wood workers, etc. The work they did was meaningful and needed by others. They therefore, felt good about the work they did.

It is true they may not have had a lot of money, but all of their needs were met and they had time and freedom to do the things they enjoyed with their friends. That is, they had freedom and self sufficiency.

Living in this community today

It would be quite different from the life we are used to. We would have to do something about all of the things (material possessions) we are used to having.

The question is, are all of these things making us happy? We seem to have a hard time understanding how to be happy. Maybe some of this advice could be helpful?
Desire

Epicurus realized there was a problem with desire. We want things in life because we think that they will bring us happiness. The problem is they only bring us temporary happiness, but nothing long lasting.

What are we to do? He believed that our focus needs to be on moderating and limiting our desires.

There are 2 ways to deal with desire:

1) strive until we fulfill the desire, or
2) curb or eliminate the desire.

The second method is the recommended way to deal with desire. If we lower our desires then it is easier to reach them and therefore, we will be happier. If we strive to attain our desire we often find that we are not happy and only desire more.
Types of Desires

According to Epicurus, there are 3 types of desires:

1.      Natural and Necessary
2.      Natural but not Necessary
3.      Vain and Empty

Natural and necessary desires must be met. They are things like food, shelter, and the like. It is natural to want these things and it is necessary for our survival.

Natural but not necessary desires are desires for a particular sort of thing – luxury food, for example. We certainly need food, but we don’t need a gourmet meal. If this is what you desire, but it’s not available, then you will be disappointed and unhappy.

The point is to enjoy something while it is available, but recognize that it is not necessary and should never be counted on. If we focus on meeting our basic needs of simply eating the food that is available, we will always be rich. That is, we become rich by desiring less.

Vain and empty desires are desires for power, wealth, fame, etc. Epicurus said that these sorts of desires are difficult to satisfy because they have no limit. Meaning, if you desire wealth and you attain it, you can always desire more. Once one sees that they can get more, they will want more.

These are not natural desires, but they are a part of our society. Epicurus believes that we have been fooled into thinking that they will bring us happiness. How can something that has no limit make us happy? These desires should be eliminated.

Can you see the difference in these types of desires? If you are hungry and desire food, that’s natural, but once you satisfy your limited hunger you will be happy. The other desires can never be satisfied and you will therefore never be happy.

If we learn to desire less, we will always meet our desires and be happy and tranquil.

One thing to note is that not all pleasures are good and all pains evil. We need to think about our life in the long term and calculate what is in our best interest.

That is, what will bring us long term happiness and not merely short term, immediate happiness? Here is where Epicurus clearly parts ways with the traditional hedonist who will eat, drink and be merry for all the days.

We can’t eat whatever we want because it is not good for our body in the long run. We shouldn’t drink a bottle of wine everyday for fear of becoming a drunk.
3. Philosophical Thought

The final component of the happy life is engaging in philosophical or rational thought. Image of The Thinker from Rodin That is, living an analyzed life.

Epicurus believed that it was important to think about our life and examine our thoughts and feelings. Even though we try to limit our desires and do the things that make us happy, we may still occasionally feel anxiety and fear.

If we want to be happy, we need to explore these things and understand them.

This is something that everyone could benefit from – examining and contemplating life and exploring our thoughts and feelings. Nothing but good can come from this.

Epicurus knew that many people feared death – a fear of the unknown. But he said if we engage in philosophical thought and really look at death there is nothing to be afraid of. He says,

Death does not concern us because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

Try this: Think of what your life was like before you were born. You can’t because there is no life before you were born. Just as there is nothing when you die. There is nothing to fear because death is what happens when you are dead and it has nothing to do with life.
Summary

Here is what an Epicurean community would look like:

A bunch of friends living in a big place together
    They all do work to support the community and feel good that they are working for a cause
    They have lots of freedom and time to do what they want
    They realize that material things will not bring them lasting happiness, so they don’t desire them
    They talk about life in order to understand themselves, their fears, feelings, and emotions so they can master over these things and maintain their happiness.

Strange community? They were very popular throughout the Mediterranean and you can still find Epicureans today.

One thing that does seem obvious is that we are not very good at making ourselves happy.

Might there be something to this philosophy? How can we apply this to our life today? Most of us will probably not want to live in a commune type situation, but what about the core concepts?

Spend more time with like-minded people (friends)
    Do work that makes us feel as though we bring value to the world
    Realize that material possessions do not bring long-term happiness
    Live a simple life, with few possessions

Ajax616

« Reply #3117 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
"The price of freedom is loneliness." - My ex-wife's cousin

No the price of misunderstood physical freedom is loneliness.  True freedom is on the inside and it's amazing.

Ajax616

« Reply #3118 on: May 03, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
God, Family, then Business.

Ajax616

« Reply #3119 on: May 03, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
As life, in this or the next is just a journey so are lives, ideas, philosophies or civilizations.  There is no final transformation of our human evolution.  In the vastness of time and space, we will continually struggle and eventually grow stronger and then do it again. 

Advertisements