Advertisement

Author Topic: Accounting Major  (Read 18844 times)

Lavender

Accounting Major
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
So I am in the accounting major.  I have a very difficult time understand what I read in the accounting 1 textbook.  I am not good with small details information.  I also don't seem to be interested in what I read. 

Does that mean accounting is not the right major for me?  By the way, I do well when actually work on projects with hands on or after a lecture. 

Suggestions????

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Evil_K_Man

Re: Accounting Major
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
So I am in the accounting major.  I have a very difficult time understand what I read in the accounting 1 textbook.  I am not good with small details information.  I also don't seem to be interested in what I read. 

Does that mean accounting is not the right major for me?  By the way, I do well when actually work on projects with hands on or after a lecture. 

Suggestions????

Accounting is boring and tedicious.  But if you don't understand the concepts (after some tutoring) or you don't have any interest whatsoever in what you read, then its probably a good thing to consider a different major.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »
Also one thing with accounting is that it requires a lot of attention to details.  So if you don't like working at the mircoscopic level, then you're not going to like being an accounting major once you get to upper division courses.

I only took like three accounting courses and it was boring and very detail.

Lavender

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »
I dislike the details.  Ummm I failed my test again  >:(

Lady_Fallin

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »
My S/O is in accounting... and he's struggling, too.  He's more of a hands on person, so he learns better through practice rather then reading.  He's great at math and actually doing the work, but not so much in reading comprehensions .  Unfortunately, his course work involves a lot of reading.  He struggles with understanding the questions asked on exams.  I told him to read through carefully to see what the question is asking him.

The best thing to do is form a study group.  Once you teach others and learn from others it becomes easier.  Plus, you have a support network.  Befriend those who can help you.  Luckily the s/o has an accountant friend who is willing to help when the s/o is lost.

Good luck, and keep at it. :)  It's a tough field.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:06:25 PM »
I find accounting boring too.  You gotta like it to do well in it.

Gatorade_Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »

Suggestions????

do you like accounting or do you think you'll have a better chance at find just a job in the future? if you like it, stick with it and do whatever it takes to succeed. if you don't care too much for it, find a new major.

Xyooj96

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »
i wish i was an accounting major,
the financial controller has the last say, unless the owner has to satisfy his/her ego  :P

taxation is a fascinating area  :P

Renaissance

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I dislike the details.  Ummm I failed my test again  >:(

Lav, I graduated w/ an acct major.  After college I went on to graduate school and am doing something else.  I am good with math and thought that it would be a good area to go into.  You should talk to pple in the accounting field and spend some time with them to see if that is something you like to do.  As with every profession, what you learn in school is quite different in the working world.  I have a SIL who finished her acct degree and is studying for the CPA.  She is a controller for a company now.

Lavender

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Lav, I graduated w/ an acct major.  After college I went on to graduate school and am doing something else.  I am good with math and thought that it would be a good area to go into.  You should talk to pple in the accounting field and spend some time with them to see if that is something you like to do.  As with every profession, what you learn in school is quite different in the working world.  I have a SIL who finished her acct degree and is studying for the CPA.  She is a controller for a company now.
After the struggle and passed Accounting 1 with an A....I decided to move forward.  I plan to focus on my study this semester.  Will see how I do.  Many acct. teachers are running their own acct. firm.  That would be something interesting to do.  I love math...but the details is the part that I have no patience with.  And the detailed process is the part where it doesn't go into my ears  ;D

I hope to land a high paid job after graduate or work in my own business.  :)

buster_me

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
I failed accnting. Debit/credit all day journal entry. I retook and passed it to the next level and did better. Business admin req those classes and damn those two accnting classes are the hardest effort than any of my classes.

Xyooj96

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »
though i thought themodynamics, fluid mechanics, organic chemistry, quantum physics, linear algebra, etc was challenging for the scientific base degrees, i found out that basic accounting was equally challenging :D

i'm fascinating about the concept of double entry in accounting, i find it to be a beautiful system of tracking :)  O0
if i would have known better, or someone who would have told me while i was in college, i would have been an accountant :)

Renaissance

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »
Accounting is not all debits and credits.  There are a lot of theories and principles involved.  Also, there are standards that you have to abide by.  In the end, whatever you do, you have to try to accurately capture the status of the financial transaction.

Lav, I thought you were in the medical field?  If I can do it all over again, I would go into science or technology.

E92M3

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »
Accounting can be very rewarding.  At first it can be tedious and redundant because you're learning the fundamentals (i.e. debits and credits).  However, as you go beyond your sophomore year, you begin to learn more about theories, principles, and practical applications. 

If you can tough it out, there are endless opportunities.  There is a significant demand for accounting professionals.  The goal is to land yourself an internship while you're a junior or senior with one of the Big 4 accounting Firms.  They are tough but once you get that internship and you do well, the chance of getting an offer is very high.  Once you get in with one of these big firms, there are endless opportunities in audit, tax, advisory, consulting, etc.  You work your ass off, however, you are learning so much.  Trainings being provided are top notch and at times are overkill.

Pay wise, it's not bad.  You start out between $55K - $60K and raises can range anywhere between 5% - 15%.  If you can withstand the crazy hours at times, it's a very rewarding career.  Ultimately, if you can make it to becoming a partner, you're talking starting salary between $350K - $400K.  Most partners will average between $600K - $900K per year.

Good luck and stay focused.  It is very rewarding!!!

Lavender

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
I am looking forward to it.  I hope to make more money.
 :)

Accounting can be very rewarding.  At first it can be tedious and redundant because you're learning the fundamentals (i.e. debits and credits).  However, as you go beyond your sophomore year, you begin to learn more about theories, principles, and practical applications. 

If you can tough it out, there are endless opportunities.  There is a significant demand for accounting professionals.  The goal is to land yourself an internship while you're a junior or senior with one of the Big 4 accounting Firms.  They are tough but once you get that internship and you do well, the chance of getting an offer is very high.  Once you get in with one of these big firms, there are endless opportunities in audit, tax, advisory, consulting, etc.  You work your ass off, however, you are learning so much.  Trainings being provided are top notch and at times are overkill.

Pay wise, it's not bad.  You start out between $55K - $60K and raises can range anywhere between 5% - 15%.  If you can withstand the crazy hours at times, it's a very rewarding career.  Ultimately, if you can make it to becoming a partner, you're talking starting salary between $350K - $400K.  Most partners will average between $600K - $900K per year.

Good luck and stay focused.  It is very rewarding!!!

Advertisements