Advertisement

Author Topic: Kindle Fire?  (Read 4380 times)

DeceiversChick

Kindle Fire?
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
Looking to get the Kindle Fire for the bf as a xmas gift.

I'm not a techy person so I have no clue as the pro's and con's of this item. Please give me your thoughts/opinions so far?

I know it won't be released til Nov 15th but looking to preorder or order by then. Thanks.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

six

Re: Kindle Fire?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:45 AM »
I don't get this Kindle Fire thing?  Why not just get a smartphone?  Personally, I think those are as useless as those digital picture frames.  Beside, you wouldn't want him to be glued to that thing while you guys are spending quality time together.

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:13:03 PM by JimmyNeutron »

Eyedumgai

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:14:07 AM »
I should get a couple for the children just so they leave my iPad 2 alone. But then decided it's not worth it since they're not going to enjoy it as much, especially since they have adapted to the iPad2's user interface. We'll see.

Jimmy, let us know how you like it.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:16:03 AM by Eyedumgai »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »
Ahah dang, how about slapping them with a big fat book.

That's what I'd do. 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
it's tempting. I'd like one too but it's only wifi, the first basic model. I'm sure the next one will have 3G network and so on....

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:13:15 PM by JimmyNeutron »

zena

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
Why not just get him an iPad?

I'd like to get a Kindle too but just the one for reading (hubby might get me this for my b-day coming up!).  Currently I borrow PDF books (I have like 10 in queue as of right now and have only read 3)) from the library onto my computer and read it that way but it would be nice to be able to read anywhere and not have to carry a book.

aboo

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
i'm leaning towards a nook instead of the kindle....only because i was informed that you can only get amazon books for the kindle..someth ing like that.

also nook has 1 GB RAM versus the kindle fire at 512 RAM.....don't ask me i have no clue what this is either lol...somethin g about the resolution performance in comparison.

Pain

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
I don't see the point of buying such for children.  These things are nothing more than money munching machines.  You need to have a credit card just go make it work and load content.  Not. Ideal for kids unless their teenagers who can provide for themselves financially.

Pain

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
i'm leaning towards a nook instead of the kindle....only because i was informed that you can only get amazon books for the kindle..someth ing like that.

also nook has 1 GB RAM versus the kindle fire at 512 RAM.....don't ask me i have no clue what this is either lol...somethin g about the resolution performance in comparison.

You need to do more research.  Having more ram does not equal better.  The iPad 2 is technically more advanced than these 2 devices and it only has 512mb ram.  The nook has a slot for flash memory upgrades.  The fire doesn't.  However the nook is limited to 1gb on board storage and the fire is not.  Do the research and see what's best for u.

Midnight_Reflection

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »
Girl, I'm thinking about getting 1 for myself.

I haven't bought the Kindle Fire [yet], but I had read reviews on it. Lots of pros. I read this long review on the Pioneer Press paper, but let me see if I can find an online version 4 you.

According 2 the review, one of the pros is, the Kindle Fire is the 2nd to the best tablets out there after the Ipad [of course]. Another reason is the price - can't go wrong w/$200 since the Ipad cost too much. It's a plus 4 many including myself who don't want 2 pay $500-600+ for the Ipad.

I have a phone that use Android apps [btw, love Android and this is another reason why I'm leaning towards the Kindle Fire], but the thing is, my phone is 2 small 2 show my students color ebook and games. Therefore, if I get the Kindle Fire, it'll be a great upgrade fr the phone to play games or read stories using Android apps.

Reading-wise, I'm still not a fan of ebook. I prefer the actual book(s). I work w/computers all day and you can only look at so many screens so many times a day. The other only thing I can think of getting 1 is that it's slim & small. Very convenience 2 carry around as compare 2 a laptop 2 watch movies when I'm on the road.

Well, let you know how the Kindle Fire is once I buy it and b4 u get 1. But if u beat me 2 it, let me know how it is.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
got my kindle fire yesterday. yes you need amazon account and cc payment type filed into your amazon account. some apps are free, free ebook lending and streaming of some contents.

everything is thru the amazon market. limited apps because it's not the andriod market eventho it runs on andriod os. aside from these limitations, everything is great. fast internet, youtube vids are good, and my daughther's nick jr videos.

kindle fire comes with 5g of cloud storage. any content you download from amazon is stored on the cloud. personal contents are stored internal. you can also upload mp3s to your kindle, ebooks (.mobi) files from other ereaders to the kindles, also save installed apps from an android phone into the kindle and re-install.

i'm loving mine.

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
Nice to know slude. I wanna get my lil bro one but damn... how can this thing compete with the PS3?!  :-[

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
not a gaming console so it's not competing with the ps3.

my biggest fear on the kindle fire: the "buy" button on the amazon store is a 1-click button so if your child starts hitting "buy" you're getting billed automatically from your ccard. i've downloaded/purchased 20+ FREE apps and received 20 invoices for $0.00. now imagine if these 20 items are $1.00 - $10.00.

there is a 'cancel' button if you accidently hit the buy but you have to hit it right after it starts downloading.

Advertisements