Advertisement

Author Topic: Superstitions & how they came about??  (Read 11097 times)

onel0v3

Superstitions & how they came about??
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
What are some superstitions and how much truth is there to it??

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:01:31 PM by onel0v3 »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

DonJuan

Re: Superstitions & how they came about??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
There are truth in superstitions.  The problem is how much and how distorted has the truth being mishandled through misinterpretat ion.  Much like religions, I guess.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »
I don't know how true. But I know some superstitions.

Pointing at the moon will get your ears cut/sliced that night when you are sleeping.

Never compete with a tiger in counting the number of stars in the sky because you will lose and the tiger will win and his stake is eating you. (While you look to the sky to count the uncountable numbers up there, the tiger only looks down at the puddle below him; he counts all of those he sees in that puddle only.)

For some Hmong, if you curse them with the phrase "Tsov tom" (literally, tiger bite), they will soon be bitten and eaten by tiger(s). (True for some sub-vang clan members, I've been told.)

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

population1

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
superstitions came to be of reason... to this day still unexplained without enough reason, sound, logic, evidence, etc. much like how movies are made to portray such "fiction" literally as is because some people may not want to scare the pants off other "normal" folks; but my statement there was just a faux pas per say for lack of a better word/phrase. damn, sorry can't think of it, but there is a definite undermining to it, such as a descriptive word. anyhow, it's modern day, so who knows?

anyway, I can challenge a tiger with fire. now, I remember having a half-dream-half-wake challenge with a tiger when I was a toddler (to this day, I still remember, yes) and I challenged it with fire in a forest with my four other family members and I won. here's how it went. the tiger came from the forest on a beaten down path made by humans, it scared all of my family members into our truck. sadly I was the unlucky one who couldn't be save, the tiger looked at me in the eye with riddles and remarks of the night then my eyes locked onto his with the campfire still lit in the night... it then went on, so and so, I didn't even know what happened at the time, though until it was later explained by a "priest" that I challenged it with fire and it left us. so, I was like what? it's all hush push cute kittens to this day. still unclear to me still. stuff like that when you were a kid, you know, you just still can't make out with it.

onel0v3

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
LOL
Thanks for sharing!
I sometimes want to believe its false; but then again some things make sense so much.
:/

Vangpao

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
If I were superstitious, I'd do what Valentino Rossi does:

Why you ask?
Well, that's an easy explanation.

I'd be afraid that the sponsors would pull the funds in this economy, so, I'd do this just for product placement reasons.

(Did you notice the camera man in the shot? Bingo!)

JKL

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
For the Lor clan back Loas and Thailand, if a girl call you tiger bite in hmoob they will have to send you back home no matter what. My grandma told this to my mom when she was little and my mom saw this lady having to send this one guy home because she said tiger bite accidently to the guy, this happens when was still back in Thailand. I know this because I'm a Hmoob Lauj(Lor). I'm clan is superstitious about tigers.

JKL

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
Haha, I like that statement.

population1

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
I hate to say this Hmong Lor's are problematic. Not to generalize. Not hating. Not to offend. But, there is a kind of prophet that bestow some kind of omen where the tiger is seen as the Yin of Yang which traces back to Taoism and ancient, what is now called China, civilization when dragons were often seen to be followed by tiger in some opposing fare. just check out some Yin Yang art and you see the dragon placed in the Yang paradigm where as the tiger is placed in the Yin paradigm. Sorry to burst any bubbles. BTW, any Lor's, please, take it lightly.

onel0v3

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
For the Lor clan back Loas and Thailand, if a girl call you tiger bite in hmoob they will have to send you back home no matter what. My grandma told this to my mom when she was little and my mom saw this lady having to send this one guy home because she said tiger bite accidently to the guy, this happens when was still back in Thailand. I know this because I'm a Hmoob Lauj(Lor). I'm clan is superstitious about tigers.
interesting, I never heard of this one before

onel0v3

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
Anyways.. I brought up this topic cuz I previously had a miscarriage. Well when I was pregnant I didn't want anyone to know. Well anyways I was so sick that I ended up tell my mil. However between those 3 months that I was pregnant we were gonna get a new mattress so we move the old one out.
After I had the miscarriage I heard someone saying that u shouldn't move the bed where the baby was created cuz it'll cause a miscarriage. LOL well I know obviously u shouldn't lift heavey things period cuz that'll cause a miscarriage but anyways back to my story..
Everything was fine although I was sicker then crap. However my job sometimes require moderate lifting too.. Well long story short.
I lost the baby n heard about the bed superstitious riddle n I ask my mil about it. And she confirms that it's true.
Weird huh?

chingy-vang

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
sorry to hear about your loss. there's also one about not naming your kid before they are born because if you change the name that you were supposed to give hem, their spirit will be sad and the baby will cry for months. Also dont name your kid "Ger" aka youngest son, if he is not the last son you're gonna have. i knew two brothers in school the older one named Ger and younger one named Mei. Ger was thought to be the last son being the reason for his name. when Mei was born, he never stopped crying, was very sick and refused to eat. the shamans said its because the older brother is named Ger so the younger brother is sad since he is the real last son. so they had to change his name into Mei aka smaller son

onel0v3

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
See that's what I'm saying.. Like.. Being Hmong there are millions of super natural explanations for weird things. :p
My son had his Hmong name changed when he was little too cuz the shaman said the name was too much for him.. And surprisingly at that time he was hospitalized twice in one week n diagnose with colic.. So after the name change ceromony that was done after his release from the hospital.. He stopped crying continuously.

Also..
Have u guys heard about..
This thing about those kids that don't talk to give them pig vag.
However
If they know what they are eating it won't work..

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
I don't know how true. But I know some superstitions.

Pointing at the moon will get your ears cut/sliced that night when you are sleeping.

Truth to tat, Well my wife doesn't believe in that how should I say it, she's kinda hmng ameeka ize, until she started to show my oldest son, that was wen he was about 3-5 yrs of age.  N I noticed that his ears are always cut, so I asked if she told him to point @ the moon? and she said yea.. SLAP,, LOL.J/k

MSV

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
There are too many superstitions….some of the ones mentioned here are quite interesting and even new to me too. Cool!

1. Don’t whistle or sing at night, you’ll attract the ghosts/spirits. And if you happen to do it and they like it, they’ll come for you and take you to their world do you can entertain them.
2. If you see someone who’s handicapped, slow, or different, don’t make fun of them because you’ll possess that trait in your next lifetime.
3. When we were kids, my siblings and I would use a broom and ride it like witches…my mom would always say that if we do that our spirit gets swept away from our body.

I tend to remember things more if they are told in stories (a method of retaining info in meskas theories too)…maybe that could be a reason why superstitions started.

Advertisements