Advertisement

Author Topic: cultural lessons...lesson number 1.  (Read 6267 times)

yaweh

cultural lessons...lesson number 1.
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »
whenever i have time, i will be posting a few cultural "explanations" in here for all to know/learn.  and hopefully, through these things, we will learn many more things from each other...

long time ago, the arrow was used to "xa xov"...this is why mong still say "ib xib xub ntsia nej qab taw rooj.."  this arrow is given to the bride's side of the family.  in return another arrow is given (exchanged) to the groom.  we do not practice this ritual anymore.  however, we still exchange other possessions... such as "diav, riam, cows etc..."  the good thing is, although we don't exchange the arrow anymore, this arrow is still used during funerals.  in the old days, the groom would keep that arrow until the death of his wife/or himself.  that arrow is then, used mus hu qhua...given as evidence of "death" of their daughter and/or vauv...this is why peb mus hu qhua, peb thiaj li coj ib xib xub mus hu qhua (especially niam txiv dab...because that arrow orginally belong to him).  niam txiv dab also gave a cow (lub ncauj tsiag given during the wedding) to vauv...and thus niam txiv dab yuav tuaj tu nyuj....

so, vim li no peb mus hu qhua peb thiaj li coj xib xub ntawm hauv pliaj.

yaweh

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

DonJuan

Re: cultural lessons...lesson number 1.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
It'll be great to give a cultural lesson in the international language! :-X
Me no read Hmong.

yuknowthat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »
whenever i have time, i will be posting a few cultural "explanations" in here for all to know/learn.  and hopefully, through these things, we will learn many more things from each other...

long time ago, the arrow was used to "xa xov"...this is why mong still say "ib xib xub ntsia nej qab taw rooj.."  this arrow is given to the bride's side of the family.  in return another arrow is given (exchanged) to the groom.  we do not practice this ritual anymore.  however, we still exchange other possessions... such as "diav, riam, cows etc..."  the good thing is, although we don't exchange the arrow anymore, this arrow is still used during funerals.  in the old days, the groom would keep that arrow until the death of his wife/or himself.  that arrow is then, used mus hu qhua...given as evidence of "death" of their daughter and/or vauv...this is why peb mus hu qhua, peb thiaj li coj ib xib xub mus hu qhua (especially niam txiv dab...because that arrow orginally belong to him).  niam txiv dab also gave a cow (lub ncauj tsiag given during the wedding) to vauv...and thus niam txiv dab yuav tuaj tu nyuj....

so, vim li no peb mus hu qhua peb thiaj li coj xib xub ntawm hauv pliaj.

yaweh
i thought lub ncauj tsiag would be *money to yuav tu nyuaj rau niam txiv dab tuaj tua rau tus ntxhais los nyab ." because vim tias when the daughter gets married, niam txiv tom nos muab nyiaj phij cuam ua lub ncauj tsiag.

yaweh

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
in laos, ncauj tsiag (those who have it) ces muab kiag ib tus tsiaj tiag tiag....cov uas tsi muaj tsiaj ces muab 1 choj tej ua lub ncauj tsiag mus yuav menyuam nyuj los yug. regardless if you killed the cow and buys one later for the funeral, tus tsiaj ces yog lub ncauj tsiag mas.

MSV

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to take it one sentence at a time. There's so much to learn here. Thank you for taking your time to share. I definitely will stop by this thread more often to see what's in store for us. We are the holders to tomorrow's culture, traditions and customs so I at least want to do my part and learn as much as I can.

nraughmoobmuas

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »
More than a year has passed and still no development in your "teaching." Puas yog koj tseem mus kawm txiv xaiv lawm thiaj tsis khoom tuaj ntuas peb?

NceegVaj

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
Ncauj tsiag = the cattle that goes along with the bride.  it is to bribe the in-laws to show up at the funeral.

It's another way to ensure you don't abuse us woman.  Because one day she's going to die and the in-laws wants to know about it.  If you don't let them know they will come after you asking you where is the ncauj tsiag?  You will then have to pay double ontop of a bad name.  Now, if you calle them to the funeral xim and your relationship with the woman/in-laws has been bad you will hear about it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:00:59 PM by NceegVaj »

Advertisements