Advertisement

Author Topic: Ask to be Cua Nyab or Txiv Daglaus  (Read 4291 times)

touthoj

Ask to be Cua Nyab or Txiv Daglaus
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »
I am being ask to be one of the person to kill cow at a funeral. Its my sisters father in law's funeral.
I guess my role is to kill my sister/brotherinlaw cow. (i dont know if my role is cua nyab or som txiv dag laus) they havnt call but i want to be prepare.

I know i have to find a ki to help me but im confused at what material to gather.

I'm confused about the chicken or pig part.
I dont know if my role is  big here or not sure so i think i require to kill a pig to bring instead of 2 chicken
or do i just bring 2 chicken.

other materials are
organic paper that has been carved by someone who knows how and tied it to a branch/bamboo stick/leaf.
chick liver? soda or beer i dont know how many ./cans or 2liter or case i have no clue either.
i need to put $10 for kab tseb and $watever amount for hauv qhua (nyia chas tu)
and $100 for the cow killing part im not sure whats it call.
if i got any of this wrong please help me with a list..

i also need help on how to ask people to be my representative ( ki )
do i need beer/soda bring to there house with small cups and give to them ask them and bow down for them to do it?
does the cup need to be pair or 1 cause im not sure cause funeral stuff usually just 1 but this is just asking him to be my ki before the funeral. I need help

When does this all happen and when do i kill the cow and what do i do about it how many ppl do i need to ask to help me do this task.

the funeral is friday, saturday, sunday and burial is on monday.

if anyone can help me with this i will appreciate it.
i am kind of americanize but still respect hmong tradition and im only 24 year old.
they told me i have to do this cause im my only sisters brother and my father already past away when i was a  kid so i only have my mother and she dont really know too. if anyone can help i appreciate it

thanks  and sorry for my bad english.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yaweh

Re: Ask to be Cua Nyab or Txiv Daglaus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
tou,

you will be asked to be cuag nyab and/or xov txiv dab...

seb koj sister  yog hmoob dawb los hmoob lees mas...yog hmoob green ces you dont' have to bring the chickens.  if she is mong white, then yes you do need chicken.

the pig is just a sign of being respectful, you don't really need it...the pig is called "npua zov hmo."   koj muab cov no cob rau koj tus ki and he should know what to do with them.

bring xyab, ntawv, 3 cans of beer (make sure they are small...becaus e your ki will have to drink them all), and a little bag of rice/ with meat for offering.  the cans of beer are called cawv pwg qee, cawv xeej ntawg ,and cawv zov hmo.

if the cow is 1600, you need to give 1/10 of that = 160.  if its 1000, you give 100....etc. as for nyiaj tshav ntuj, nyiaj hauv qhua...it is totally up to you on the amount...but word of advice, it is your yawm yij's father, the amount should be at least what people are giving.

after you asked your ki to be your ki, he will take care of the rest...just follow him mus ua qhua hnub ua qhua txig...and do go kill yoru cow (ask someone to help you out...like a brother)...and then take your cow home and cook it and eat it. 

after qhua txig, all you have to do now is to find a "txiv nkauj" .....oh and get your own txiv qeej too...anyway, afer qhua txig tag, your ki will take care of the rest.

yaweh

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Talk to your dad. He knows and will tell you.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

jetter

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
Just adding to what is already posted; hopefully this will kinda clear things up.  Your role is small in terms of your Kis singing but still requires a lot of work.  Good luck & sorry for my misspell Hmong words if any.

HAUV QHUA ZAUM ROOJ  ITEMS (GONNA COST YOU AT MINIMUM $400)
- 2 chicken
- 1 small pig
- 2 beer/wine bottle or can; go with the cans
--- 1 for the 1st phase tied together with the chicken heart, rice and 2nd phase
- inside of a Hmong basket or kawm
- a chicken heart with cook rice wrap in paper foil
- 1 of those paper origami hmong stuff
- some money for Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj ($50) & Nyiaj Kab Tsem ($20),  Nyiaj Txiv Ngauj ($10)
- Write their name on the basket and tape it
- Txiv Qeej & Txiv Nkauj
--- Usually if you are not the Aunt/Uncle of the decease, you usually share what the Xyob Cuab have, so it’s not necessarily to have one; just make sure you be at the funeral home around 6:30AM or so; so you can go in with the big groups.
- A couple of shot cups; bringing your own makes things easier instead of asking Xyob Cuab for it
- $100 or more dollars for the table; your Kis will know how to use this
- $10-50 or so for your Kis for helping you
- Kis to help you sit at the table and represent you
-- 1 Type Kis: Assuming the Xyob Cuab is not requesting your Kis to sing, you can just grab anyone who knows the structure but not the songs
-- 2 Type Kis: The Xyob Cuab want your Kis to sing IF AND ONLY IF there is time, then you need to find one that knows their stuff
-- Asking for Kis, nothing formal, just call them up, tell them your situation and ask them nicely

1ST PHASE – THE EARLY MORNING AT THE BUTCHER SHOP ( USUALLY HAPPENS AROUND THE SAME TIME AS PHASE 2 BUT DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE XYOB CUAB)
You need at most 4 people
-- 2 to do the stomachs
-- 2 to cut the meat & watch the meat

Cow Stomach
-- Clean it all up as best you can
-- Cut up all the pieces as equally as you can into three’s
--- 1 for you, 1 for Xyob Cuab & 1 for Kam Xwm
-- After you are finish with the stomachs parts and split them up equally, call the Kam Xwm that’s there and tell them who you are representing and which part is theres
-- Pick up your part and you are done with this part

Here’s what you will need to do
Save 2 ribs for each of the following:
-- Txiv Qeej
-- Txiv Ngauj

Save a big chunk of good meat for your helper: Your Kis; sometimes you might have two kis because 1 is your actual Kis and the other one is his helper; he is there to help pour drinks cause it’s hard to pour, respond to the thank you and bow at the same time.

2ND PHASE – THE EARLY MORNING AT THE FUNERAL HOME ( HAPPENS AROUND THE SAME TIME AS PHASE 1 BUT DOUBLE CHECK WITH XYOB CUAB)
1) Gather out front

2) Go in with a bunch of people; one of the big one who has a Txiv Qeej cause you need one but do not have one
--- If you have your own Txiv Qeej, then you can go on your own

3) Someone going to take off the Hmong basket at the front door

4) Head with everyone to the casket

5) After reaching the casket; your Kis head out and find your basket

6) Your Kis will take out the heart and wrap rice paper foil along with the beer and money

7) Go ask Kav Xwm where is Cuab Tsav or just go find him
--- 1. Kav xwm! Ua li Cuab Tsav yog tus twg?

------ 1. Usually you do not have to ask because he's the only one next to the casket doing stuff
8 ) After he (Kav Xwm) tells you who he (Cuab Tsav) is
--- 1. you head to him and tell him this:
------ 1. Cuab Tsav! Hais rau koj paub! Qhov no ces yog <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab. Ua li mas thov koj pab coj mus laig rau nws.
------ 2. Here's what might happen:
--------- 1. You tell him (Cuab Tsav) that since he's too busy you are not going to give him a drink
--------- 2. The other options ( it never happens when I did it) is to pour him a shot once his done his job to thank him

9) Take the beer and go give the following to Kav Xwm first
--- 1. Pour him a shot first
--- 2. Tell him who you are
--- 3. Give him the money
------ 1. Nyiaj Tshav Ntuj, Kab Tsem, 

10) Take the rest of beer and goto each male inside the funeral home waiting and say the following
--- 1. Yuav <Name of who you are representing> cawv laig dab saib yuad!
--- 2. They are going to give your beer to someone to hold (your partner)
--- 3. They are going to thank you
------ 1. You respond at the same time with the following, take your time it does not matter if they finish early or you finish early.
------ 2. Txhob ua tsaug mog! Nej xyom caub tsev ploj tsev tuag tsev puas tsev ntsoog! Qaug ib teeg, nchuav ib nkog, tus ib saw! Yam li kuv ua lub neej vij zeej xws luag ces kuv yuav cab yag cab ncos, muab nyiaj txiag qab ntsos, deg caw qas log tuaj pab nej xyom cuab! Cuag li kuv twb ua lub neej tsis xws luag ces! Kuv twb toom tsis taus txheej, toom tsis taus ntsig! Tuaj pab tsis taus nej xyom cuab nta dab nta qhua! Twb tuaj tauv tsis tau nej xyom cuab lub kua muag. Tsis txhob ua tsaug, nkim lo tsaug xwb mog!

3RD PHASE – THE THANK YOU DURING LUNCH TIME
Lunch time or the time when they chop up everyone's donation and give it to everyone to eat

1) Most of the time; this happens outside

2) Kav Xwm or their helpers are going to setup a table and call everyone who did a huav qhua that day by name

3) Once they called your name you step up and they will ask if it's your basket and give you a shot, just drink the shot and confirm that it is your basket

4) You answered yes or using the following:
--- 1. Kav Xwm. Kuv yog <Fill on your represented name> Kis. Kuv hais rau neb ob tug Kav Xwm paub tias kuv lub kawm ces yog lub no ntag! Neb mam li saib xyuas mog!

5) The Kav Xwm helpers are going to ask if you want to chop up the chicken/pig or what? They will give you a shot when asking this.

6) You tell them they do the chopping for you and you drink their 1 drinks/shots in front of you since you do not know how to chop 1. You can answer using the following:
--- 1. Peb coj tauj cob rau neb lawm ces neb yeej meem xyuas neb xwb mog!
--- 2. You can give them a shot for helping you chop the meat but it’s your choice

7) After the chopping, Kav Xwm or his helper but mainly his helper are going to give half of the chicken with the head some raw meat to you to take home and like 2 dollars or something.  Kav Xwm is going to give you ¼ of the pig also.
--- 1. This sometimes will come from the Cuab Tsav when you both exchange in step 8, depending on the situations
--- 2. Kav Xwm will give each of you a shot, Cuab Tsav and you to exchange

8 ) They will then give you the other half w/a raw piece of meat and a drumstick to give to the “Cuab Tsav”, there are going to be someone standing in his place along with a 1 cup/shot of your beer (most of the time they have it laying around and you can just grab one) with like 2 dollars. Most of the time the Kav Xwm helpers will put all this together for you already in a package.

9) Now Cuab Tsav is going to say thank you, you respond with the same thing above

10) After the thank you, you both take your shot

11) After the thank you Cuab Tsav is going to say something to you, after he finishes saying it, he will hand over his half to you. You the hand over your half to him and say the following:
--- 1. “Cuab Tsav, Txais qhov no saib yuad! Qhov no ces yog <Your represented name> nqaij sus mog! Kuv muab cob rau koj es koj ho saib xyuas rau mog! Koj ho pab hu xyom cuab tuaj no sus ov mog!”

12) Kav Xwm will then give you your second beer and tell you to go give it to everyone. There is a shot with this also.
--- 1. Since it is your beer and you accepted his shot, you either tell him to put it on the table and give it to the Xyom Cuab later OR
--- 2. You drink his shot and just do it.

13) You then take your beer and start giving shots away, most people will just drink it without say anything but cause they are just too many thank you if they start. Some will thank you and if they do, just use the same response above.

UA LUG TSAUG
Ua tsaug mog! <Say the name of the person who you are saying thank you to>! Vim peb xyom cuab tsev ploj tsev tuag, tsev puas tsev ntsoog! Qaug ib teeg nchuav ib nkog, tu ib saw. Koj tsis cia li. Koj xav neej xav tsav, xav ntsuab xav ze! Koj yuav toom txheej toom ntsig, muab <Hais tej yam luag pab: Cab yag cab ncos, Nyiaj txiag qas ntsos, Qoob qa zaj zus nplej kws txhuv qib ntsuas, Dej caw qas log, Nyiaj txiag xyab ntawv, Ntaub xo qas ntsos> tuaj pab peb xyom cuab nta dab nta qhua kom tseg ntwb puav tam ncej txawb! Nram qab nram ntsis peb xyom cuab ua lub neej xws luag ces yuav nco koj tshav ntuj mog!

- Give your ribs to your Kis to give to Txiv Qeej and Txiv Nkauj

- Give the meat you told your cow helper to save for you and give it to your Kis

4TH PHASE – SITTING AT THE TABLE
- Give your Kis the $100 or so dollar cause he's gonna use it soon
- When time comes, your Kis will be called to go sit at the table
-- Make sure you have a couple of people to help your Kis sit at the table until his turn.  This takes a veryyyyyyyyyyy long time.
- Your Kis turn comes and he will do what you ask him to do

touthoj

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:35 AM »
I got this  done.don't forget to cut meat for the people after you kill their cow. Also have to cook and call relative to cook and if I want I can bring to funeral tell its its and will be told that you share with them. That's what we did. Also killed a pig. If I only use chicken in hmong culture it life not up to others yet etc.....xp pig also needrd....

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
one thing! do not tie your chicken's feet! only if you're unhappy and wants to sort some issues out ..

Offline thehotone

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
Going to print this out!  O0

Advertisements