Advertisement

Author Topic: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.  (Read 132375 times)

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class is in session...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
My trick is that I keep it at work and read it during lunch break or whenever I need a break from work... that's how I made it through the first time... took me 2 years or so... maybe even 3... can't remember... but having the checklist kept me going...

So, how do you guys want to do this?  

1.  Start from Matthew, read it all the way through to Revelation and then starting on Genesis and onward.

2.  Start with the book of Mark, and then the book of James... and then reading from Matthew onward... following the same pattern as first option above.

I have heard that the Book of Mark was taught to all early believers, that this was the book they had to memorize.  I would recommend this approach if you guys want to get some CORE beliefs down first, before we delve right in... if most people have a good background already, we can just do option 1... or another suggestion.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:58:34 AM by LadyLionness »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
I have a hmong version and meeka bible. I can't read hmong but I thought it would be cool to have one. lol might give it to my parents.

I would like to join the bible study but meeting twice a week is a bit much considering im still going to school.
Ladylionness, the devotional bible you have looks pretty awesome.

I have a Hmong Bible too.  My hope is to read it so that I can learn some of the lingo... which is quite different from the American ones...

LadyLionness

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
I would not recommend this one for a Bible Study, but it is a good reference for learning how to pray God's promises... I can't buy enough of these b/c I keep giving them away... maybe next time I will just buy them by the lots...

God's Promises Bible: God's Promises For You Yesterday, Today & Forever

LadyLionness

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Which day do y'all wanna meet?

Other good resources are any of the Bible Study ones or Bible Application ones with the scriptures on top and the concordance on the bottom... explaining each verse at a time...

Json

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »
I would like to audit this class.

LadyLionness

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
I would like to audit this class.

You may join but not audit... we are all amateurs here... simply encouraging each other to learn... if you are looking for a debate, you will find plenty in the Faith and Religion forum.

Lavender

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 01:01:34 AM »
This is nice.  I haven't read the bible for a long time. 

I once started on chapter one and wanted to finish...but every time I read, I fell asleep.  And with busy life, I stop reading.   ;D

What chapter or page are you on? 

I must say the bible can be confusing sometimes.

LadyLionness

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Lavender, I used to do that too, especially starting with Gensis Chapter 1:1.  And I was trying to do that with the New King James Version.

Try the Max Lucado Devotional Bible discussed above.  The hardcover is only $25. 

I am currently in the middle of Luke, but will wait until everyone has chime in on where they want to start... picking one of the two options or suggesting another.

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
Here's what I am thinking.  From what I have gathered from Cali_Lady's post and conversation with PeachBlossom, there are some of us that are just starting our journey with  God, so I would like to start out with the book of Mark and then the book of James.  After we have the basic down, we will go back to Matthew and read it from there, moving onward.  We will probably not skip the book of Mark and James, but read through them again too.  Once we are done with the New Testament, we can go and read the Old Testament.

This Bible Study serves two purpose, one... with all of us doing it together, we motive and encourage each other to read... two, with so many of us, the discussions and insights will help us to understand the Bible and it's application to our life better.

Please feel free to make comments through out the week, at any time that you want... Thursday (or a different day and time) will be the day when we will all try to be on and have a group discussion. 

If there is anyone else that would like to join, just post here or PM me so that I can include you on any update.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:48:59 AM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »
For this week, the assignment is to read the book of Mark from now until Thursday.  We will get together and see where everybody's at.  This will help me to set a pace that we can all keep up with. 

LadyLionness

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
I am a busy mom, so I keep my Bible at work and read during breaks.  Some people prefer to read after all the kids are in bed... while others prefer to read in the morning, before starting the day.  Whatever works for you is fine. 

A word of caution:  don't be superwoman or superman and read more than what you can comfortably keep up with... lolz... because then I will set a pace that is too fast for all of us.

cali_lady

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Thanks Ladylioness for setting this up...I opened my PM and there's like 12 PMs! the most I had ever had all at once  :D :o :P

because of work, I may not always be present for the discussion during the time you stated...but i'll do what I can and read...  O0

NkaujNom

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
+1 I love this idea, LadyLionness! I was thinking of starting something like this on PH a long time ago, but I'm not online enough. You all will still have my support. O0 I too can tag along/ participate when I get the chance.

NkaujNom

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Wait 'til I come back with mine from the next motel I use. lol...

You should really consider buying one for personal anytime use. O0 There are different bibles to suit personal preferences with commentaries and like the one that LadyLionness suggested by Max Lucado.

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
You didn't have to invite me.  I invited myself when I heard "Bible Studying" in the Marriage forum.  Will have to read this thread on my lunch break.  Thanks, LL. 

Advertisements