Advertisement

Author Topic: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.  (Read 134215 times)

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.
« Reply #510 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
Matt 5:28, 29

Jesus was not advocating self-mutilation (for this would not in fact cure lust, which is actually a problem of the heart - and we can't live without our heart).  He was using this graphic hyperbole to demonstrate the seriousness of sins of lust and evil desire.  The point is that it would be "more profitable" to lose a memmber of one's own lbody than to bear the eternal consequences of the guilt from such a sin.  Sin must be dealt with drastically b/c of its deadly effects.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

« Reply #511 on: May 17, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
Matt 5:38
The law did establish this standard as a principle for limting retribution to that which was just.  It's design was to insure that the punishment in civil cases fit the crime.  It was never meant to sanction acts of persoanl retaliation.  In fact, God says that vengence is his.  And in my personal experiences, our revenge only hurt as much as we are able to inflict pain... which is skin deep only... but God's vengence goes straight to the bone and there is no way to dodge that bullet. 

So again, Jesus made no alteration t the true meaning of the law.  He was merely explainaing and affirming the law's true meaning.

LadyLionness

« Reply #512 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
Matt 5:39
Like in v. 38, this deals only with matters of personal relatliation, not criminal offenses or acts of miliatry aggression.  Jesus applied this principle of non-retaliation to affronts against one's dignity, lawsuits to gain one's personal asseets, infringements on one's liberty, and violations of property rights.  he was calling for a full surrender of all personal rights.

LadyLionness

« Reply #513 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you so much for your Word and for your faithful servants who come here weekly to learn and study together.  Father, may your blessings be upon us as we go about our daily lives.  May your words be written on the forefront of our minds so that we may always be in your presence and in your will.  Father, we love you and glorify your name.  All this we pray in the name of your precious Son, our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus, Amen.

LadyLionness

« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Thank you to all who have came to join us every week.  Many appologies for taking so long to get through the beattitudes, but I truly feel that I have a much better understanding of them and why Christ choose to teach them at the beginning of his ministry... as the basis for his teacings and not at the end as a summary. 

Next week, we will be reading and going over Matthew Chapters 6, 7, and 8.  Please come ready with your questions, insights, and AHA's... thank you all for coming and we shall meet again next week, at the same time, same place...

take care,
LadyL

BoyRescue

« Reply #515 on: May 17, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
Sorry, I forgot...I'm an hour ahead of you guys!!  I changed time zones.  :-[

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:12:08 PM by BoyRescue »

LadyLionness

« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2012, 01:11:45 PM »
Sorry, I forgot...I'm an hour ahead of you guys!!

Hehehe... I was wondering about the early prayer... it's ok.  Makes my work easier for me. 

Any more input on Chapter 5?

BoyRescue

« Reply #517 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
You know, I'm stuck on the words "poor in spirit."  What does "in spirit" mean?

I've looked at the bible and have seen references to: "humble in spirit", "patient in spirit", "erred in spirit", "grieved in spirit", "strong in spirit", and "rejoiced in spirit."

Still studying this...

LadyLionness

« Reply #518 on: May 17, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
You know, I'm stuck on the words "poor in spirit."  What does "in spirit" mean?

I've looked at the bible and have seen references to: "humble in spirit", "patient in spirit", "erred in spirit", "grieved in spirit", "strong in spirit", and "rejoiced in spirit."

Still studying this...

Hmm... will look into it too...

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
Sorry guys, I left work early due to illness.  I will hold my discussion until we discuss Chapter 6 next week.  LL, why do you call chapter 5 the Beattitudes?  Just curious- did not catch this earlier.

LadyLionness

« Reply #520 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:36 AM »
Wind, hope you are feeling better.  Maybe I virtually gave you the flu... j/k...

Most Bibles label Matthew 5:3-12 as the Beattitudes or the Sermon on the Mount... basically, these are the character building blocks to becoming more Christlike...

LadyLionness

« Reply #521 on: May 18, 2012, 01:40:42 AM »
Wind, maybe this will explain it in a more eloquent way... reference Matthew 5:1-16.  (Courteousy of NKJV Family Foundations Bible Study)

Blessed Attitudes

Parents are typically very intentional about working on their children's behavior and helping them develop a character that is most like Jesus.  Yet frequently we do this by responding to negative behaviors and trying to root them out.  Perhaps it's even more essential for parents to dig deeper to help their children shape more positive, more God-honoring attitudes.

The list of Beattitudes in Matthew 5 is a good place for parents to begin.  Perhaps we should consider selecting one or two and focus on modeling those to our children.  But living out these characteristic s  - humility, mercy, purity, righteousness, and a hunger for God (which are virtues of the heart) - will likely cause us to do and say what seems strange to the world.  Which is the primary reason why I really wanted to know and understand each of the Beattitudes because within this chapter is the set of description of the ideal attitudes that ALL Christians - parents and children - should be continually building into their lives. 

Be proactive in teaching ourselves and our family to give when others take, love when others hate, and help when others abuse.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:33:20 AM by LadyLionness »

Like this post: +1

LadyLionness

« Reply #522 on: May 18, 2012, 02:37:13 AM »
So, in what ways do these "blessed attitudes" go against cultural norms of today?

And which Beattitude is the hardest to live out?  Which one do you admire the the most? 

Have you lived out one of the Beattitudes recently?  In what way?

Bottom line:  God describes the attitudes that will bring us into close fellowship with Him.  Let's pick one of the Beattitudes and claim it as our personal goal.  Personally, I am lacking in so many, I want to claim ALL of them...  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

LadyLionness

« Reply #523 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:47 AM »

For those who are unable to attend N. Kx. Num Tuam's funeral, it will be streamed live here:

http://www.thewhitecross.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=80

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »
Wind, maybe this will explain it in a more eloquent way... reference Matthew 5:1-16.  (Courteousy of NKJV Family Foundations Bible Study)

Blessed Attitudes

Parents are typically very intentional about working on their children's behavior and helping them develop a character that is most like Jesus.  Yet frequently we do this by responding to negative behaviors and trying to root them out.  Perhaps it's even more essential for parents to dig deeper to help their children shape more positive, more God-honoring attitudes.

The list of Beattitudes in Matthew 5 is a good place for parents to begin.  Perhaps we should consider selecting one or two and focus on modeling those to our children.  But living out these characteristic s  - humility, mercy, purity, righteousness, and a hunger for God (which are virtues of the heart) - will likely cause us to do and say what seems strange to the world.  Which is the primary reason why I really wanted to know and understand each of the Beattitudes because within this chapter is the set of description of the ideal attitudes that ALL Christians - parents and children - should be continually building into their lives. 

Be proactive in teaching ourselves and our family to give when others take, love when others hate, and help when others abuse.

Ok.  It makes sense now.  Thank you.

I could honestly say that I am lacking in those areas myself.  Some times I could be more humble but I'm not.  I yet tend to my own needs first than others; therefore, I'm working on this every day.  I have wonderful friends who remind me that I can't be too selfish at times.  Most of all, I am reminded that I am a servant of God.  I try to put God first by asking Him to humble me in all that I do. 

Advertisements