Advertisement

Author Topic: What is a modem? What is a router?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
What is a modem? What is a router?
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »
I am trying to sign up for an internet and I asked the sales rep of the account comes with a modem or some kind of wireless accessory so that I could connect my home computer with my work computer within 10 miles apart. She said "..it comes with a modem. You can pick up a router to make it wireless..."

What does she mean? What are those two things: modem and router?

Yeah, I'm a novice.

Thanks.

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: What is a modem? What is a router?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:58 PM »
Dude are you serious?

Modem's if you got highspeed usually comes with the company.  Most of the time they are wired, meaning that you have to connect your computer to the modem via an ethernet cable.  If you want to go wireless more than likely you have to get a 3rd party router from an electronic's store and hook it up to your modem.  Then you can go wireless.  Your computer will communicate with the router(which will be wirless if you bought one that is wireless) which will communicate with your modem(which will be connected to your router via an ethernet cable and the line running out of your house to the world wide web).  So what you really want to ask the salesrep is if they offer wireless modem's.  That way you don't have to go buy a router.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

sinister357

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
what you want to do is not possible with a wireless router because wifi has a limited range (~100ft). if you want internet on the go, you need a wireless connection card for your laptop...and a seperate service plan. think of it as a cellphone but w/data only. if you have a smartphone you can do the same, called "tethering", but it's alittle more involving.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:49:19 AM by sinister357 »

IH8MyEx

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:26:49 AM »
Just crawl back to what ever cave you came out of... Life is easier that way. Good luck!

Json

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
Thing only thing I know about a modem is that it makes funny noises.  Well, if you're on dial up that is.  Takes forever to connect.

theForumGuard

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
Sinister said it best. It is not possible to be in range from your home network 10 miles away. If you want to be able to go online from a remote location, you'll need to find a wifi zone or have an air card. Next you'll have to remotely connect to your home network somehow via RDC, RDS, VPN, or other software application.

buster_me

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
In the simplest way in another word a modem main job is convert all data signal coming in and out between the ethernet card and the cable. Router route all data traffic between all host workstations.

theForumGuard

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
In the simplest way in another word a modem main job is convert all data signal coming in and out between the ethernet card and the cable. Router route all data traffic between all host workstations.

Ethernet card? Damn how old are you? It's called a NIC brah. You look like an idiot calling it ethernet cards.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:33:46 PM by theForumGuard »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
I'm serious.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Dude are you serious?

Modem's if you got highspeed usually comes with the company.  Most of the time they are wired, meaning that you have to connect your computer to the modem via an ethernet cable.  If you want to go wireless more than likely you have to get a 3rd party router from an electronic's store and hook it up to your modem.  Then you can go wireless.  Your computer will communicate with the router(which will be wirless if you bought one that is wireless) which will communicate with your modem(which will be connected to your router via an ethernet cable and the line running out of your house to the world wide web).  So what you really want to ask the salesrep is if they offer wireless modem's.  That way you don't have to go buy a router.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
OK. But I also want a phone line to go with the internet line. Can I use the card to do a phone line, too?

what you want to do is not possible with a wireless router because wifi has a limited range (~100ft). if you want internet on the go, you need a wireless connection card for your laptop...and a seperate service plan. think of it as a cellphone but w/data only. if you have a smartphone you can do the same, called "tethering", but it's alittle more involving.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
Just crawl back to what ever cave you came out of... Life is easier that way. Good luck!

They have better net services in caves?

If the world is all like that, I don't mind crawling back there... lol :2funny: :2funny:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:13:56 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks. I've hard of the 802.11b and g, too? Is that different from the N?

I'll make it simple:

1. Modem: Connects to your cable outlet. Gives you access to the internet for one computer.

2. Router: Connects to a modem. Gives you access to the internet for multiple computers.

3. Wireless Router: Does the same thing as #2, but gives you wireless connection. Get a Wireless-N router, it's faster.

Edit: Check reviews from Newegg, sort it by most reviews. I usually just buy the one I need with the most reviews that are 4 or 5 stars. Works out everytime.

[sub]http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=145&Tpk=wireless%20router&Order=REVIEWS[/sub]

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Thing only thing I know about a modem is that it makes funny noises.  Well, if you're on dial up that is.  Takes forever to connect.

Aren't there different kinds? Like different levels of speed?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
Sinister said it best. It is not possible to be in range from your home network 10 miles away. If you want to be able to go online from a remote location, you'll need to find a wifi zone or have an air card. Next you'll have to remotely connect to your home network somehow via RDC, RDS, VPN, or other software application.

So, no luck to connect home computer with office computer then, huh? Without the remote outer or something?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »

I see. thanks. I'm beginning to understand things now.

"...

Advertisements