Advertisement

Author Topic: Traditional Hmong Funerals  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
Traditional Hmong Funerals
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
I am always fascinated with Hmong funerals. Here are some points I'd like to receive feedback.

- Would you say the traditional Hmong funeral is definitively a "religious" practice that is deeply-rooted with Shamanism? If so, how?
- Which parts are specifically religious and which are more cultural?
- What is the current perspective about the Order of Traditional Hmong Funerals compared to that of yesteryear?
- Do the Hmong take each part of the rites literally or figuratively?
- Has this perspective changed over the years? How did the Order of Traditional Hmong Funerals come about? 

Thanks!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Traditional Hmong Funerals
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »
having white string or cloth tying on your head has nothing to do with hmong that's one..i see it as being an idiot to do that...peb yog hmoob tsis yog mab yog suav.

IMO, Xwb K.

-somewhat not really
-noj 30 is cultural, laig dab noj tsiab 30 is a ritual
-peb tsis tuas phom for the deceased person lawm before yuav taws kev
-pretty it's figuretively
-yes, due to many rules and regulations in america.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
Would you happen to know how any of the rituals came about?

yuknowthat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »
Would you happen to know how any of the rituals came about?

tuas phom peb teg for the deceased is just something from the old elders talking about the war with chinese peoples "kuv tus peb phom zaug ua koj luag" before taws kev..

what i've known so far about the taws kev part going back to where you came from, like rewinding a videotape in the vcr. guilding them back home.

laig dab noj tsiab peb caug is giving offerings to spiritual lord and ancestors as thanks for the blessing of yesteryear and blessings for the new year to come for the whole family.

Offline thehotone

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
yuknowthat, our family practiced the white strings for a long time. my dad said at my grandfather's funeral back in laos, they did the same so i think it use to be part of the funeral tradition but was abandon by some people back then. I'll verify with my dad however. 

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
yuknowthat, our family practiced the white strings for a long time. my dad said at my grandfather's funeral back in laos, they did the same so i think it use to be part of the funeral tradition but was abandon by some people back then. I'll verify with my dad however. 
yes i know..but the real story behind is some adopted only from chinese people which we're not... you'll see probably the vangs and lees might do it

Advertisements