Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling all tech geeks!  (Read 4499 times)

couchpotato

Calling all tech geeks!
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
I have an android phone in which I am logged into my gmail account. Because I actually use my gmail account, it has sensitive information on it. I would prefer NOT to be logged on permanently. I'm nervous that if my phone gets lost or stolen, strangers will have access to too much of my personal information.

I thought that if I created a dummy gmail account and logged into that on my phone, it would automatically log me out of my other gmail. Well, it didn't and now I'm logged onto two gmail accounts.

Is there anything I can do to log out of my (real) gmail account? Keep in mind I am not particularly tech savy.  :-[

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:36:06 AM by couchpotato »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

six

Re: Calling all tech geeks!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Best way is to setup encryption and pattern lock on your phone.  Then setup a GPS tracker on it. 

But if you want to use the fake account, just do a factory reset and log on with your new gmail account.  Note that doing it this way, your phone contacts don't transfer.

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I have an android phone in which I am logged into my gmail account. Because I actually use my gmail account, it has sensitive information on it. I would prefer NOT to be logged on permanently. I'm nervous that if my phone gets lost or stolen, strangers will have access to too much of my personal information.

I thought that if I created a dummy gmail account and logged into that on my phone, it would automatically log me out of my other gmail. Well, it didn't and now I'm logged onto two gmail accounts.

Is there anything I can do to log out of my (real) gmail account? Keep in mind I am not particularly tech savy.  :-[

I would just delete the account you do not want on there.  There is really no other way around it.

couchpotato

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
Best way is to setup encryption and pattern lock on your phone.  Then setup a GPS tracker on it.  

But if you want to use the fake account, just do a factory reset and log on with your new gmail account.  Note that doing it this way, your phone contacts don't transfer.

That sounds hard. lol. Is it?

I would prefer not to do factory reset. I am afraid that if I do, the language will revert back to it's original language (not English). Will it? Also, will I lose all of the apps I have DL onto my phone as well as the pictures and videos I have taken?

I would just delete the account you do not want on there.  There is really no other way around it.

Again I am afraid of the ramifications of doing so. I am reluctant to do that because I bought the phone in another country.

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »
That sounds hard. lol. Is it?

I would prefer not to do factory reset. I am afraid that if I do, the language will revert back to it's original language (not English). Will it? Also, will I lose all of the apps I have DL onto my phone as well as the pictures and videos I have taken?

Again I am afraid of the ramifications of doing so. I am reluctant to do that because I bought the phone in another country.

Deleting the account setting from your phone, not deleting the account from your email servicer.

couchpotato

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Deleting the account setting from your phone, not deleting the account from your email servicer.

I understand what you are saying.

However, if I delete my gmail account, will I still have access to the android app market?

What will happen when I delete my gmail account in the settings?

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
I understand what you are saying.

However, if I delete my gmail account, will I still have access to the android app market?

What will happen when I delete my gmail account in the settings?

Yes.  You should still be able to access the market.  What happened if you delete the gmail acc is, you will loose the gmail acc.   ;D

Yap....that is it.   ;)

N`Chync

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
Put a screen lock password/pattern/pin. Then ur set. Person devices always take the risk of being lost or stolen. There are always security measures to take. At least with having a password you get a window to change your password from a computer or another phone. Also download norton security and antivirus or simular programs that will allow you to remote lock and wipe the device.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-lock-wipe-your-android-phone-if-lost-or-stolen/
http://www.androidauthority.com/a-rundown-on-top-android-security-apps-20584/

U don't need to use a fake account. This is your personal device which is made to make checking emails and personal stuff easier. It's like having sex. Just cuz u scared of catching doesn't mean u don't have sex. U get protected :)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:32:18 AM by N`Chync »

N`Chync

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
Plus it's a pain to do a factory reset just to change the gmail account linked to your device. Once a gmail account is linked to a device the only way to unlink it is to Sia factory reset.

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
Plus it's a pain to do a factory reset just to change the gmail account linked to your device. Once a gmail account is linked to a device the only way to unlink it is to Sia factory reset.

Really?  Well if that is true than you can't delete the gmail acc from the phone?  I deleted my hotmail acc from my iphone email settings.  It should be simiar to any phone i would think.

See if you can delete the acc first b4 any factory default setting. 

couchpotato

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:48:39 AM »
Yes.  You should still be able to access the market.  What happened if you delete the gmail acc is, you will loose the gmail acc.   ;D

Yap....that is it.   ;)

From what I understood, the way android tracks my app DL is through the gmail account I entered when I first got my phone. If I am not logged in to that account, how am I still able to DL apps from the android market?

Put a screen lock password/pattern/pin. Then ur set. Person devices always take the risk of being lost or stolen. There are always security measures to take. At least with having a password you get a window to change your password from a computer or another phone. Also download norton security and antivirus or simular programs that will allow you to remote lock and wipe the device.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-lock-wipe-your-android-phone-if-lost-or-stolen/
http://www.androidauthority.com/a-rundown-on-top-android-security-apps-20584/

U don't need to use a fake account. This is your personal device which is made to make checking emails and personal stuff easier. It's like having sex. Just cuz u scared of catching doesn't mean u don't have sex. U get protected :)

Honestly, I do want to be that dependent upon my cell phone. My bank and credit card information along with recovered passwords are sent to my gmail. I don't use my gmail account very much except for those purposes. I never check my gmail on my phone.  :-\

I had a good chuckle at your analogy to sex.  :D

I'll have to take a look at the Norton Security. I would rather not have to do a factory reset as the phone was not bought in the States.

couchpotato

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:54:27 AM »
Really?  Well if that is true than you can't delete the gmail acc from the phone?  I deleted my hotmail acc from my iphone email settings.  It should be simiar to any phone i would think.

See if you can delete the acc first b4 any factory default setting. 

I don't know if this is for all Android phones, but for the phone I have (Galaxy SII) the gmail account is necessary if you want to dl apps from the Android market. It is the same for the Galaxy tab. It is virtually impossible to log out of. There is not even an option for it. Unlike logging out of a hotmail account, I would compare it to a person having to input their credit card information onto their iphone if they want to buy apps from the market. I'm not sure if the iphone keeps the credit card info stored, but Android does for gmail.

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
I don't know if this is for all Android phones, but for the phone I have (Galaxy SII) the gmail account is necessary if you want to dl apps from the Android market. It is the same for the Galaxy tab. It is virtually impossible to log out of. There is not even an option for it. Unlike logging out of a hotmail account, I would compare it to a person having to input their credit card information onto their iphone if they want to buy apps from the market. I'm not sure if the iphone keeps the credit card info stored, but Android does for gmail.

I understand.

You can use that email to log into the android market like a user, but you do not need to log in or setup the email account on your phone.  These two are different.

So, take it like this.  You use your email like a user name to log into pebhmong.  This is being use as a user.  The delete the email acc is totally different, it has nothing to do with your email login.

couchpotato

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
I understand.

You can use that email to log into the android market like a user, but you do not need to log in or setup the email account on your phone.  These two are different.

So, take it like this.  You use your email like a user name to log into pebhmong.  This is being use as a user.  The delete the email acc is totally different, it has nothing to do with your email login.

lol. Do you own an Android phone?

Because I'm not sure you truly understand.

When I got my Android phone and wanted to dl apps, I needed to log into my gmail account. Since then, I have been unable to log out. (That is my issue- not being able to log out, not that I actually want to delete my gmail account. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. Sorry.)

Based on what I have read online, it seems virtually impossible without doing a factory reset.  :'(

N`Chync

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
That's because your gmail is linked to that device.

Advertisements