Advertisement

Author Topic: C++ RANT!!!  (Read 4827 times)

Hmong_HERO

C++ RANT!!!
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
I don't know how it is for everyone else, but I can't grasp the concept of C++ programming. I'm taking my 2nd level C++ course here at Cal state and it is killing me. I've gone back to reading the most basic "Beginners guides to C++" and have found tutoring, youtube, and lab assistance, and I still cannot write a basic program even if my life depended on it. WTF is wrong? Am I in the wrong field? I've put so much time and effort into this class and I can't seem to get over the hedge on it. I've pushed myself to understand it, comprehend it, and make it work for me, but it evades me. Recorded class lectures that I listen to every night going to bed and I'm still as clueless as a bat. WTF? I better come to realize that its not for me. Better give it up now or end up with a failing grade in the class? RANT DONE!

I don't know how any of you other programmers out there can do it, but kudos to you if it flows from your mind to your fingertips to the keyboard. You truly have a special gift.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

tsiehta_goy_vuk

Re: C++ RANT!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
I don't know how it is for everyone else, but I can't grasp the concept of C++ programming. I'm taking my 2nd level C++ course here at Cal state and it is killing me. I've gone back to reading the most basic "Beginners guides to C++" and have found tutoring, youtube, and lab assistance, and I still cannot write a basic program even if my life depended on it. WTF is wrong? Am I in the wrong field? I've put so much time and effort into this class and I can't seem to get over the hedge on it. I've pushed myself to understand it, comprehend it, and make it work for me, but it evades me. Recorded class lectures that I listen to every night going to bed and I'm still as clueless as a bat. WTF? I better come to realize that its not for me. Better give it up now or end up with a failing grade in the class? RANT DONE!

I don't know how any of you other programmers out there can do it, but kudos to you if it flows from your mind to your fingertips to the keyboard. You truly have a special gift.

I must tell you, C++ is not as easy and going into any programming field is not easy, that is why not many Hmong are programmers.  If you can mastered it, it will do you much good.

Don't give up, a nice and good job awaits you after you are done!!!!

C++ is no kidding.  I struggled too so you are not alone.  Do not feel bad if you do not understand it however if you truly do not understand at all and can't even write a small program, than perhaps you should rethink your major.  Cuz C++ is really the basic of programming.  If you can get C, you can pretty much get any programming languages out there.

It's been so long since i have touched C++, been like 5 years now.  WOW time flies...

Just a word of encouragement.  C++ isn't what you will use in your future job, unless you get a job that specifically uses it.  Most likely you will end up with other programming jobs depending on the job so do not feel bad.  If you can get through C++ and get your degree.  You will be freed!!!!

C++ is mostly uses for game programming and other software, unless you are going into these two fields, you should be ok as long as you get your degree.

I don't do C++ but I do php, mysql, css, xhtml, .net platform, and javascript for my job.  They all uses basic knowledge of C++ but totally different from C++.  But if you understood C++, you can learn other programming languages easy.

Wished you the best of luck.

tetrapod

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I think text books are the worst books for teaching someone how to program.  You should visit a book store and browse through books on C++ programming.  If you are able to read the book and follow the examples, it is a good book for you.  Some books are very smooth in guiding a beginner.  I used to have one but a friend wanted it so I let him kept it.

You might be able to find someone who can explain programming in an easy to understand way. 

Suav

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
You need to start with learning about operators arithmetic/comparison/logic. Then start with syntax.

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:06:50 PM by JimmyNeutron »

tetrapod

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »
I think some people do have a more difficult time with programming.  I do hope that there is this is a phase and once you have passed that phase, programming will become more natural to you just as speaking is natural to you.  I prefer writing code than writing an essay in English.  Once you can program, the biggest problem is not the programming language but an organization skills and the ability to divide a complex problem into small and manageable size. 

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I think some people do have a more difficult time with programming.  I do hope that there is this is a phase and once you have passed that phase, programming will become more natural to you just as speaking is natural to you.  I prefer writing code than writing an essay in English.  Once you can program, the biggest problem is not the programming language but an organization skills and the ability to divide a complex problem into small and manageable size. 

Right.  Experience will get you here.   O0

tubyaj

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
Not all brains are built the same.  I can deal with math and put things together like nothing.  However, when I look at a the piano keys I just see black and white toothpicks.  But sometimes, learning is like opening a door...the hardest part may be getting it to open.

tetrapod

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
Learning how to program is easy.  It is almost as natural as spoken language.  Programing good software is hard.  When I look the code of professional programmers, I shook my head and feel so stupid.  Their code look so beautiful and thought out.  I wonder if they are human at all.  :) 

Think of the programming language as nails, hammers, wood, and saw.  It's easy to learn to use them.  You can even build a toy chair and table in a matters of days.  But building a beautiful home or the San Francisco bridge requires more than knowing how to use nails, hammers, wood, and saw.  That's where theory and problem solving skills come into play.  Without them, you will only be able to build chairs and table..but never a bridge or a beautiful house.

Below is an example of a programming solution that is difficult.  Some are more difficult.
www.cril.univ-artois.fr/spip/publications/iwoce907-leberre.pdf

aria

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Is C++ still being taught/used? My college drop C++ in favor of Java so that was what I learned instead. Good luck!

aria

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
Oh, and I second the getting an internship suggestion. Sometimes it's easier to learn on the job.

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Is C++ still being taught/used? My college drop C++ in favor of Java so that was what I learned instead. Good luck!

If you learned C++ you can learn Java and if you learned Java, you can learn C++.  Not too much difference.  Once you get the syntax down, you are good to go.

jetter

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
Dude leave programming and head for the medical field.  Switch major man that's what I am doing mid-life through my life span here on earth.

tetrapod

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
Dude leave programming and head for the medical field.  Switch major man that's what I am doing mid-life through my life span here on earth.

or to business especially finance.  they make a killing.

jetter

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
that's true cause i use to program like there's no tomorrow.  Switch to business in finance or the medical field.

Advertisements